Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there must, even in this day & age, be ways of communicating with LE without LE knowing ones precise location.

Full disclosure my practice area is fraud, not murder, but there's a thing called an attorney proffer where an attorney can meet with LE and answer questions on behalf of a client. You basically go in and say if my client were to talk to you he would say...XYZ. The prosecutor/agent will ask questions and you answer based on what you agreed with your client you will disclose. The FBI agent/prosecutor then can decide if they want to work with your client or not - for witnesses this means immunity, or use immunity (where they won't use what the witness says against him), or LE no longer being interested in their testimony.

A missing person is obviously different than fraud, and in a situation like this they may tell the attorney to F off they'll find the guy and arrest him. Attorneys also cannot facilitate an ongoing crime. The crime-fraud exception to the attorney client privilege means an attorney can be compelled to testify about information about an ongoing crime or an imminent planned crime. So there's a limit to how much you could really do here if you know where your client is and you know he's committing an ongoing crime like false imprisonment.

This is another of the big mysteries of the timeline. Why did he text in morning and not previous night? So many questions about the shared car situation and why it was ok for MT to possibly be walking or jogging back in the dark to pick up car?

Possibly Mollie thought there was a chance she'd catch a ride to work with someone else but was not 100% that other ride would happen and wanted the brother to be available as a last-minute backup ride?

Wonder if Mollie's mother's nonchalance about Mollie not showing up for dinner and Mollie's brother's uncertainty about Mollie needing a ride to work the next morning stemmed from Mollie maybe being uncertain herself if (i) she'd have plans/a visitor after her run (ii) a different ride to work.

Mollie could've kept it vague with both of them, "Hmm, not sure what I'm doing yet. I might come by for dinner/I might not need a ride, depends...I'll let you know later." Dunno.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to feel insane. Like Harmony said - this is sounding like Groundhog Day. I'm going to bed and hoping the presser does NOT get cancelled - if it does, I may very well go off the deep end.
I'm with you. I have my alarms set for 3p Iowa time and praying for ANYTHING.

Also... I really REALLY hope these delays are not due to a major recon/surveil due to possible SK.

Don't know about the rest of y'all but I'm so happy Momma Tricia makes us go to bed when she shuts down the thread for the night.

That’s way more than I would have guessed. Wow.
Its a thing we haven't touched on.
Small town iowa is gripped with meth addiction. Which brings on property crime, violent crime there all tweaked out and ready to burst.
And sexual assault as meth heads have higher sexual inhibitions and likely to
Force it.

Sherry Arnold was an example of this. The guys admitted to beiing on drugs looking for sex. Like I said these cases are similar

Sherry ran the same route every day in small sleepy town in Montana. Couple of guys cam off the interstate on drugs swooped up sherry as she was running down the bypass.

This is of course contingent upon Mollie being alive. If she was taken as part of a sexually motivated plot, this is unlikely. And no perpetrator is going to release Mollie for any reason, unless they want to spend the rest of their life in jail.
If it's a 2 or more person team, one could roll on the other because they just couldn't take the pressure anymore, & tries to get some type of immunity. Like battered spouse, he made me go along with it.... no shade on battered spouses, goodness no. edit: seriously no shade.

This is of course contingent upon Mollie being alive. If she was taken as part of a sexually motivated plot, this is unlikely. And no perpetrator is going to release Mollie for any reason, unless they want to spend the rest of their life in jail.

I wonder what the penalty is in Iowa? Has anyone looked up Iowa's law for min vs max sentencing for kidnapping?

LE confirmation here...
Everything We Know About The Disappearance Of University Of Iowa Student Mollie Tibbetts

When Tibbetts' Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortvedt(Mitch Mortvedt, spokesperson for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation) said.

From your link:

However, both Tibbetts' aunt, Kim Calderwood, and her boyfriend said Tibbetts was back at the house from her run before she disappeared.
"I read somewhere that she was running in a cornfield. That's obviously not true," Kim Calderwood told KCRG. "The run happened and then she was at the house as far as we know. I don't think she would've run in the dark."

This is another of the big mysteries of the timeline. Why did he text in morning and not previous night? When he didn't get a response to text in the am why wasn't that a red flag something was up at that point? Why wait to get a call from BF that MT didn't show up to work that day? Why did work call BF and not Mom or Brother? Why go to the movies when your sister is missing or you haven't heard from her? So many questions about the shared car situation and why it was ok for MT to possibly be walking or jogging back in the dark to pick up car?

Yes, it is. I don't think we've seen these questions asked (in the media), so unfortunately I can't answer them for you. I do know that sometimes Mollie would take DJ's truck to work, so maybe JT thought DJ came back home or something (purely speculation). It could also be possible that he just figured she if she needed the car, she would come and get it like she usually did.

If someone told me they were coming to get the car and didn't show up, that would raise a red flag. But if they didn't tell me they were coming to get it and didn't show up, probably not.

As far as the co-worker calling DJ, I don't know. Perhaps the co-worker knew that Mollie was staying at DJ's home, or knows DJ personally.

I don't think JT went to the movies knowing that his sister was missing, did he? From what I recall, he found out while he was at the movie. It probably wasn't unusual for him not to hear from her during the day since she was at work. My brothers definitely don't keep tabs on me during the day.

I don't think Mollie was jogging or walking in the dark to get the car. Is there some reason you think she was?

If it's a 2 or more person team, one could roll on the other because they just couldn't take the pressure anymore, & tries to get some type of immunity. Like battered spouse, he made me go along with it.... no shade on battered spouses, goodness no. edit: seriously no shade.
I hear you. But going purely by the data, it’s so much more likely to be a lone attacker that this scenario is really far down my list. It does happen, but I prefer to focus on the most likely scenario until I am given reason to think otherwise.

Its a thing we haven't touched on.
Small town iowa is gripped with meth addiction. Which brings on property crime, violent crime there all tweaked out and ready to burst.
And sexual assault as meth heads have higher sexual inhibitions and likely to
Force it.

Sherry Arnold was an example of this. The guys admitted to beiing on drugs looking for sex. Like I said these cases are similar

Sherry ran the same route every day in small sleepy town in Montana. Couple of guys cam off the interstate on drugs swooped up sherry as she was running down the bypass.

Does Brooklyn have a meth problem? <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the cases of women abducted or assaulted while jogging happen during the day. A woman in Bridgewater, MA was assaulted while jogging at 7:30am on a sunny residential street. Look at the surveillance video - right in front of houses with white picket fences. It happens.

SURVEILLANCE VIDEO: Man Attempts to Kidnap, Assault Jogger

Ugh! This makes me sick. Some of these creepers are absolutely brazen. I think it's wonderful she fought back and the neighbor intervened. I am glad he went to the hospital but it would have been even better if he didn't survive... One less predator around.

I hear you. But going purely by the data, it’s so much more likely to be a lone attacker that this scenario is really far down my list. It does happen, but I prefer to focus on the most likely scenario until I am given reason to think otherwise.
Going by the data that most female runners, when abducted, are abducted by a lone male. I can see that, yeah.

MsBetsy, if either of my children went missing (I have a boy and a girl) I would be all over the place like white on rice trying to find my kids. Even if LE told me to stay away I would sneak around at night or something (and have a good friend or my husband with me) doing investigative work. But that is me. I would be doing EVERYTHING I could (even if the FBI was involved and I trusted they would find her/him) to find him or her. I am a worrier.

Maybe Mollie's parents were not worriers. Some of us tend to worry MORE than others. My mom used to call me all the time when I went to college and left home. I am one of those people that doesn't like someone hoovering over me all the time (even though it is my mom). MANY times I would ignore my mom when she called me (that was back before I had a cell phone though and no computer or texting). My mom would tell me later that she was worried when I didn't get in touch. She said she was afraid something happened to me.

Some kids don't like a helicopter parent so to speak (I know I don't and funny I tend to be one to my kids) and it seems to me Mollie was like that. And it also seems to me it worked out good for her because Mollie's parents were not helicopter parents either. So if she didn't respond back about the brats that was probably normal for Mollie. Normal for Mollie's mom could mean she didn't get back with her right away or get worried that she didn't respond back right away or go over there for brats.

<mod fixed broken quote>
I don't know why, but my message showed up in the wrong place. It appeared as if was a continuation of your post. I don't know what I did wrong. But my point was that Mollies mom had no reason to be concerned that her daughter didn't show for dinner the night BEFORE she went missing, as she was an adult, not a teenager. Therefore had no reason to worry. I don't know what I did wrong last time I responded to this, I'll try again

Last edited by a moderator:
Haaaaa. You’re exactly right, the lack of detail isn’t conducive to forming a coherent theory. I’m just taking the statement that indicated the dogs were in their normal state, at face value.

What's "normal"? Once, when I was working the phones at a Poison Control Center in New Orleans, a guy called me because his lab had gotten into, and eaten, part of a pound of weed. Trust me, it's what Labs do, why do you think so many are used as dope sniffing dogs....They arn't sniffing out kilos for their handlers! I gave him the usual protocol about inducing emesis, et al. When I checked back with him sometme later, he said that the dog was "pretty mellow", so he turned down the lights, put down an open bag of dog food and a big bowl of water and would go from there. So, who can say what's normal?

Alethea, so it's sorta like Skype.
What are the possibilities she met someone she was having feelings for and was getting cold feet about going to the Domican Republic for the wedding? It was mentioned DJ thought it would be a good time to get engaged. She’s ONLY 20 maybe she just wasn’t having the same feelings for DJ anymore. It does happen people do change as they get older. She’s so sweet possibly she didn’t want to hurt him. I think she knew DJ since HS but had only been in a relationship 3 yrs. sometimes people act happy on the outside and put on a good act but actually are hurting and unhappy in the inside. She looked really sad in some of those Twitter pics if you ask me. I did not think she looked glowing with happiness except a couple of photos. The underwear and bra pics seem odd unless they were for DJ eyes only. I realize she left her wallet and glasses I’m just throwing this in the mix hoping she’s still alive and took a break from everything to collect her thoughts and we’ll hear from her soon.

Anyone else think there is a possibility that she left on her own and wants to remain missing?

I think you are right. In looking for an MSM link, I find links to earlier WS threads that reference a Facebook post alleging that Mollie ran past the Funeral home at 5:30. I wonder if we should omit that from "what we know".

so not caught up, but no complaints, great stuff to 'process'...

Otto
I remember it coming up on the thread as well.

I9: Former FBI profiler says Mollie Tibbetts likely left with someone she was “familiar with”
8/12 ~10pm

Thank you, Harmony for posting this on the media thread and for everything.

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/mollie-cecelia-tibbetts/@@download.

Last edited:
What's "normal"? Once, when I was working the phones at a Poison Control Center in New Orleans, a guy called me because his lab had gotten into, and eaten, part of a pound of weed. Trust me, it's what Labs do, why do you think so many are used as dope sniffing dogs....They arn't sniffing out kilos for their handlers! I gave him the usual protocol about inducing emesis, et al. When I checked back with him sometme later, he said that the dog was "pretty mellow", so he turned down the lights, put down an open bag of dog food and a big bowl of water and would go from there. So, who can say what's normal?
Normal for them, I guess. But lol.

Everyone's "routine" is different, what makes sense for one person, another wouldn't do. I keep my dogs put away also, and while I usually let them out first thing, sometimes I don't. She could have let someone she knew in with her when she came back from a run and kept the dogs in the basement thinking she would let them out when the person left.
But like you pointed out, the dogs were fed and in good condition and that makes me think something happened in the early morning.

And we don't know what Mollie's relationship with the dogs was like. Glancing at her 'gram, Mollie back in 2015 would post pics with her own personal pooch sitting next to her while she worked, etc. I assume that was/is the family pet at her mom's house and not among the dogs in her BF's basement (which someone might've said were Labs? Dunno).

I don't see any pics of dogs since the 2015 pics. And it's like mandatory on social media that people post up pictures of their pets. Mollie didn't run with the dogs.

Maybe the dogs at her BF's were a handful/not well-trained or just not to Mollie's liking. If she's putting them in the basement just to go running (if that's the case), maybe the basement was the dogs regular hangout and Mollie was fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod