Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes exactly. The whole "have you noticed any behavioral changes in someone, cleaning a car, etc" thing is pretty standard for cases like this. I've seen it countless times before. And surely they have been considering all possibilities from the get go, no? So why did it take them almost a month to request this information? The farther back you request of people's memories, the less likely you are to get solid info. If people initially were thinking she left on her own they wouldn't have been as hyper vigilant about changes in someone's behavior. They can look back now, but their memories are sure to be cloudier.
Absolutely my sentiments exactly. Scratches heal, memories fade, and suspicion wanes.

Hey Magnum. I asked you earlier in a previous thread (just before it closed), but do you have any idea why LE would only now mention that a person involved in this abduction would exhibit behavioral and appearance changes (in addition to other noticeable behavior)? I have expressed frustration since the early threads in regard to them not putting this information out there. I just can’t figure out why the delay?
I'm curious about this as well. However, perhaps I've followed too many cases because isn't what we heard today from LE re. alert for behavior and physical changes, unusual absence, clean/repair auto, etc., typical of what to be aware of in situation of missing persons. Same with the the question of whether community at risk and LE responds to always take precautions. I always interpret that as: if this could happen to Mollie, it could happen to anybody. Does it matter when LE announces this? TIA...

I am curious why they are limiting the hours to 10 PM. It makes sense to have an expiration if LE knows that she left the area at this time. How could they know this? Have they figured out the original send time and place of the Snapchat to DJ at 10 PM?

I think they know the time of the ping and how much time it takes to get there from town.

Good to have former law enforcement officers in the conversation!

Have you heard about the process for being verified at WS? I recommend looking into it, verified former LE might appear in your signature.

Seems like WS used to do polls. I would like to know after all this time the way sluethrs are leaning.
Random
An acquaintance
Stranger
Sex Offender
Somebody closer
While home
While jogging
From Brooklyn
Trucker
Male
Female
I'm sure somebody a lot better than me can come up with a better poll but I'd sure be curious to see how everybody's leaning. TIA

The old version of Websleuths did allow you to create a poll. It was its own thread, so as not to clutter up the main thread, and you could vote, and make a comment. I dont know if this version is set up for polling or not. Truthfully, I am still getting used to it, and not really a fan so far.

Absolutely my sentiments exactly. Scratches heal, memories fade, and suspicion wanes.
If I remember correctly they did mention some of things in the beginning. For some reason I thought they mentioned look for signs like coming home late, not showing up for work, or not being able to get a hold of someone. Not as detailed as today, but I thought it was briefly discussed way back. Could be wrong, but I thought they did.

Snipped by me:

If LE had a specific car in mind...hey we are at four weeks, they would say “a gray car was seen” and we would like to contact the driver i.e...it is late in the day to be playing mind games, hoping locals will pick up subconscious hints...the general public is not crime obsessed like many of us, knowing what to look for etc...if LE has any clues they need help with, it is past time to spell it out. Many perps have been caught driving the same vehicle once LE put out an alert for it.

You would think so. However, I am worried that the Iowa DCI is using a different playbook than other LE agencies. They knew right away about a suspicious SUV in the area of Elizabeth and Lyric’s disappearance but didn’t bother to tell the public for a year. Let’s hope history doesn’t repeat itself.

Pastilla said:
"I thought the same. Talking to your dad for three hours when everything is great in your life (and his?) ... Not impossible, but certainly not typical ..."

Marie224 said:

I posted an article earlier and Dad explained, they were used to having long conversations, weekly, because that's how he co-parented from a distance/California and how he kept up his relationship/bond with his 3 children after the divorce. He didn't talk to them every day but when he did connect with them, it was a meaningful conversation.

I'd only add to Marie224's reply that these days they probably are not having an actual phone call. It's more common among people to FT with people so you can actually see them. I could see them doing this, especially RT since he wants to feel a part of their lives. All three kids are probably there sitting around have a family conversation together vs a one on one with dad speaking individually with each kid. When you think of it that way, it's like the family spending an afternoon together so 3 hours is not long at all.

Owutatangledweb said:
After viewing sharonneedles videos, I'm in line with MrTs opinion about looking for a Truck or someone who bought a lot of beer or alcohol that night or within the days before. The only trucks I can imagine going through there are grain trucks. The town had a fairly large grain elevator. sharonneedles can correct that assumption if I'm wrong but that's what it looked like

LE can't and won't assume to look exclusively for grain haulers. The highway 80 I believe it is called is actually a highly traveled trucking route so long haul/cross country truckers carrying various hauls would be aware of it and frequent it. That is what makes that particular possibility very overwhelming when you consider the transporting that goes on during that area on any given day. It is not just the truckers with full loads but you could have truckers ahead of schedule on a pick up or drivers that have already unloaded and hanging around that might do a layover there.

Someone on the last thread made a comment that they are paid to do this job. I can't believe some people believe this. Not only local LE but that of all the other agencies involved DO have a vested interest in bringing this investigation to a conclusion. For goodness sakes folks, these are people we are talking about here. They have wives and kids and family members. They entered LE to SERVE AND PROTECT not just THEIR family but your's as well. They signed up for this. Do not forget that some agencies actually were not asked to join the investigation but volunteered to assist. That is not just someone doing their job. That is up and beyond the call.

Over the years I have had close friendships with several in LE at various levels local and federal and I can honestly say that I have no doubt in my mind some of those men and women go home at night unable to sleep and are willing and do put in extra hours to solve this. Remember you and I can walk away at any time. They can't and are not. They are living and breathing this case and any other one they work on the entire time. Not to mention the cases that end sadly. One of my investigators I knew worked personally on the Martha Moxley case when it happened. He remained tortured about it for the 30 years it went without prosecution. He was right there when MS was arrested and followed things until he passed away. Please, never say this is just a job to them or if they can not have a quick resolution, it is because they do not have enough skin in the game. They have more skin in the game then you or I and we aren't giving up. Have faith. Things take time.

Well stated, and I couldn't agree more.
This particular investigation is taking time, no two cases are exactly alike.
This is the real world, and not a 60 minute to show.

I submitted a tip on the Finding Mollie website based on them checking for anything she may have bought/sold on Craigslist, try to check any strange purchases made that week and any unusual online orders (if they can check that), also for them to alert the public community to any strange packages someone in their houses have ordered over the last few months.

I am so worried sick over this. I was HOPING the perp could be someone MT knows so that they wouldn’t hurt her but I am devastated because after this PC, I believe the perp is now a serial abductor.

It is sad but if it was a hit and run I would be comforted knowing she isn’t suffering right now. I went on a jog today and I always think about her jogging and get the chills.

I am PRAYING please God do not let this case be like Sierah Joughrin’s, that poor girl went through so much and her kidnapping and murder haunts me.

I'm curious about this as well. However, perhaps I've followed too many cases because isn't what we heard today from LE re. alert for behavior and physical changes, unusual absence, clean/repair auto, etc., typical of what to be aware of in situation of missing persons. Same with the the question of whether community at risk and LE responds to always take precautions. I always interpret that as: if this could happen to Mollie, it could happen to anybody. Does it matter when LE announces this? TIA...
I do. They are asking the public to look for & report back about certain definite suspicious indicators that can lead to a suspect. They asked today, not a month ago. We may not be privy to LE's every strategy, but LE is... We on this site might see the list items as commonsensical. But this announcement today puts what to look for in concrete terms for the general public, who simply may not know what to look for or why it's important. Had they made today's list known back in July, well, would things have turned out different? We'll never know, will we? I have respect for LE in terms of believing every move they make- and the timing of it- with media is for a specific reason, and that's to try to get Mollie back.

Good to have former law enforcement officers in the conversation!

Have you heard about the process for being verified at WS? I recommend looking into it, verified former LE might appear in your signature.
Otto I just keep noticing and appreciating you more and more! I'm a long time sleuther too and you just keep showing up with sensible posts! I officially like and respect your comments.

Go to 12:10 in the video, as I'm heading West down 2nd street you'll see that carwash on my right. What's the significance of a carwash in Brooklyn? It's right along Mollie's running route. I didn't pay any mind to it, it would be a terrible place to try to snatch somebody unnoticed at 7:30pm at night. But what if she saw someone she knows there? What if she stopped and talked, then got in the car and caught a lift back to the house? It's a straight shot to DJ's house from there. And we know we're looking at that carwash in reference to Wednesday night before it rained.

As a woman, I'm wary of car washes...Brooklyn, rural area, lots of men in pickups who have to use a car wash. How easy to pretend to be washing ones pickup...so many ways to reel a 'victim' in.... have a cute puppy etc.

My thought also. 385 is remote and runs into v21. Turn left towards rt6, and right about where NE red dot covers is a small bridge over Big Bear Creek. Toss the phone in the creek as you go over, then turn around and go ~30 minutes down v21 to the SE red dot. Toss the fit-bit.

The western most red dot. past BF house just another entrance or exit into town. The Truck stop and Car wash would be places with lots of activity (extra eyes) to supplement video.
JMO

Is it a coin operated car wash? My first thought was that they actually want to know who washed their car.

Now what is the plan? The case will loose all interest with the media. It will rapidly turn into a cold case, no info & MT will be no closer to home then what she is.

Is it time for the family to do there own searches? I truly am not bashing LE. I just honestly wonder what the next step would be?

As a Mother I just couldn't sit back & do nothing & I know my family couldn't / wouldn't either. The weather is to be cooling off so searches would be bearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow