Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

I wonder if they have DNA from her killer and they are using forensic genealogy now to ID him. . . And that's why it's taking so long. Similar to the process LE used to identify GSK.

Or they're currently questioning people.

One tactic they could use is asking the suspect to come in and discuss a robbery someone said he was involved in. Obviously this wouldn't be true, and so the suspect may willingly meet with police in that case. Then LE would ask for a DNA sample to see if they could match this (fake) crime scene which he may agree to because he knows he isn't involved in that, and they wouldn't even have to go to genetic genealogy route.

Post from earlier today.......

Any updates on this case? Is LE waiting to confirm identity?

DNA Doe Project No updates. We are patiently waiting just like everyone else.
1f642.png
:) As soon as our LE friends are at liberty to share more, we'll be sure pass it on.
1f609.png
;) Thank you for your interest.
#StayTuned

From DDP FB Page comment late yesterday evening or early hours this morning 8/15

So is sheep flat jane doe identified or still trying to confirm ?

Margaret Press -(9) hrs - I just posted elsewhere: "Different agencies seem to want different types and degrees of confirmation. This is a learning exercise for all of us with this very new kind of evidence no one has ever used before. No one is doubting her identity. But due diligence is a little harder to define in this case."

Last edited:
Maybe someone in the family killed her and the family isn’t being very helpful or is being evasive?

Not even going to attempt guessing or analyzing the reasons behind the delay at this point, we are just too close to the end. Do feel thou we will be in for a very intriguing story of SFJD's identification and hopefully through it all her killer is found.

Maybe someone in the family killed her and the family isn’t being very helpful or is being evasive?

As a quick calculation, if JD was 25 in 1982 she would have been born in 1957, so her parents (or at least her mother) would have been born in the mid to late 1930s. Her mother would be in her 80s now.

If JD was 35 in 1982 then everything gets pushed back by a decade - she was born in 1949 and her mother in the mid to late 1920s, so in her 90s now. At those ages, even if her mother is still alive there's every chance she has dementia.

I'm assuming for the sake of argument that her father would have been a few years older than her mother so it's even less likely that he is still alive and mentally alert.

It's much more likely that there are siblings, cousins or nieces/nephews still alive, but it's difficult to imagine why a sibling, much less a more distant relation, would want to kill her. A husband is the logical suspect.

It's possible of course that she was the only child of an only child and the relatives that she's been matched to don't even know she existed. When families are estranged they can completely lose track of members - and that was even more so in the days before the internet and mobile phones.

I believe DDP stated earlier that there was no one left to report her missing, so it sounds like her parents are dead. They may be having trouble finding sources of her own DNA, photos, dental records, or fingerprints to compare with her, or relatives close enough genetically (parents/siblings) to match with her in a way that's more obviously meaningful to law enforcement.

I'm not from Michigan but am excited for an answer. Let's just hope the delay is LE getting their ducks in a row about her killer.

I'm also not from Michigan but from the other side of the world...and just like everybody else who follows and worked on this case waiting for more information....In a positive sense this Jane Doe united all our thoughts and efforts to bring her home...

I think a couple people here have said there was 'no one left' to report her missing but that's not exactly what DDP said. All they confirmed was that her parents were deceased before she died.

Margaret Press: "all you dedicated folks who spend time trying to match on NamUs are incredible. Our hats off to you. Sadly in this case there were no parents left to report her missing. And she was an adult out on her own."

It's possible she still has living siblings.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, she had a very tough life and didn't have much of a chance. I'm so glad she will have her name back and her struggle and life won't just be forgotten like I assume she believed it would be.

I wish these does had as many people who cared for them in life as they did in death. I don't believe in an afterlife but I sure hope there is one so these souls know how many people truly care about them.

Based on Margaret’s last few posts, it seems like there’s one big wig LE guy, who’s 1000 years old and still living in the stone age, insisting that the only way to identify someone is by fingerprints. Ugh.

But on the contrary, if there were nothing brewing in terms of an arrest, you’d think they’d tentatively release her identity?

Based on Margaret’s last few posts, it seems like there’s one big wig LE guy, who’s 1000 years old and still living in the stone age, insisting that the only way to identify someone is by fingerprints. Ugh.

Wonder if he goes on duty armed with a spear or a bow and arrow? ;)

But if it's true that he's holding out on forensic grounds, it very much calls his competence into question.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebecca.ingram1214@gmail.
Back