Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like Mollie would have told her mom when they discussed dinner if she intended to come get the car anyway. It was already 7:30ish I think. And if she decided late, after 9pm, seems like she would have at least texted to be sure her brother was at home.

Last edited:
Hi otto
Looking at the map and reading your posts about the similarities, I am starting to buy into the theory that there might be a connection between Mollie's case and the Evansdale killings. It would explain the huge FBI presence and keeping information close to the vest.

When everyone was sleeping, I couldn't stop thinking about what an "awareness space" transportation corridor would look like if there was a connection between the two cases. I came up with three maps:
  • what the dots in the Brooklyn map might mean
  • what major routes connect the two locations
  • where an abductor might leave a body if this was not the first abduction/murder
Highway 21 is the major route between Evansdale and Brooklyn, and it is a factor in the Guernsey search area. This might be completely wrong thinking, but if there is a connection, I'm curious about what that might look like. Belle Plaine seemed like a good place for a body, similar hunting/fishing area to Seven Bridges Park.

Finally, I wondered where someone might live if they abducted in Evansdale and Brooklyn. The two rectangular boxes seem like possibilities.

Attachments

• Mollie 385 Avenue.jpg
    Mollie 385 Avenue.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Mollie Belle Plaine.jpg
    Mollie Belle Plaine.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 129
  • Mollie Brooklyn Evansdale.jpg
    Mollie Brooklyn Evansdale.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Mollie B - E Corridor.jpg
    Mollie B - E Corridor.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 112
Hi otto
Looking at the map and reading your posts about the similarities, I am starting to buy into the theory that there might be a connection between Mollie's case and the Evansdale killings. It would explain the huge FBI presence and keeping information close to the vest.
For those of us who missed his post about that, can we have a page number or link? Thanks!

It's nothing unusual for elite athletes to train 6 hours a day, but Mollie was not an elite athlete. She was a recreational jogger who was known to jog to her mom's house in the evenings before dusk to collect the car. Given the timeline of 7:30 to dusk, including a 45 minute run, it doesn't make much sense that she would lose the light by running in a circle and then run or walk again to the other end of Brooklyn at dusk.

If she started at 7:30 and looped around through town with the idea of eventually ending up at her mom's house, she had plenty of time. She could easily have a route planned that would accomplish this in 45 minutes, and it would still be plenty light. It didn't start getting dark until after 9, if I recall. And in the summer, such a plan is preferable to jogging in the head of the day.

The similarities to the Holly Bobo case are very disturbing. Beautiful young woman, very small town, hardly any leads that are fruitful (at least not yet). It was so very hard to learn that Holly was only a little way from home that entire time and yet, we were all powerless to help her. I pray the biggest difference between the two cases is the out come.

I'm just wondering if she ran farther than we're assuming. Here are pictures of two possible routes. In one, it would be a circle from/back to the BF's house. In the second, it would be from the BF's house to her mom's. (The map generated addresses where I dropped points, so I blacked them out. And I cut the route off before it actually reached her mom's house as not to post exactly where her mom lives.)

The circle route is 2.3 miles. The route to her mom's house is 2.1 miles.

Mollie's track records from HS are posted online. In the 1500 meter (so, a little less than one mile), she ran it both times around 7 minutes. In the 3000 meter (so, less than two miles), she ran it in under 15 minutes.

So, for those of you who were in track and still run, how different would her jogging speed be from her track records? Would someone who could run a mile in less than 7 minutes jog at a pace of 20 minutes per mile?

IMO, way too many variables to tell here. You have to consider her current fitness level and whether or not she has maintained her former fitness level or let it go and regained it, first of all. You also have to consider whether or not she was doing any run/walks which one might do if trying to get back in shape or recover from an injury. Some days you might be going for a speed run which would be a shorter distance and faster than race pace and other days you might be stretching your distance which would be a slower pace than your race pace. Too many variables for me.

ottoVerified Expert
New

Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned because I am finding it impossible to keep up with the rapidly moving threads in this case. I just had a look at the map on the findingmollie.iowa.gov website for the first time and something immediately stood out to me. On the map, in addition to the red dots indicating the areas of interest, there are also markers all over it that are labeled with a letter/number combination (either VXX or FXX). Could these markers have been added by LE -- for their personal use -- to notate the location of pings or the location of a network's tower/satellite/signal (like V meaning Verizon & F meaning FitBit)? This notion may be totally out in left field but is something I immediately considered.
Those are normal map notations, nothing to do with Mollie.

quoted from last thread

DOH! ...and just when I thought I was on to something. :cool:

I'm just wondering if she ran farther than we're assuming. Here are pictures of two possible routes. In one, it would be a circle from/back to the BF's house. In the second, it would be from the BF's house to her mom's. (The map generated addresses where I dropped points, so I blacked them out. And I cut the route off before it actually reached her mom's house as not to post exactly where her mom lives.)

The circle route is 2.3 miles. The route to her mom's house is 2.1 miles.

Mollie's track records from HS are posted online. In the 1500 meter (so, a little less than one mile), she ran it both times around 7 minutes. In the 3000 meter (so, less than two miles), she ran it in under 15 minutes.

So, for those of you who were in track and still run, how different would her jogging speed be from her track records? Would someone who could run a mile in less than 7 minutes jog at a pace of 20 minutes per mile?

——
First post... but, no. 20mins/Miles is REALLY slow. I avg 15min/Mile with jog/walking. My guess is that Mollie would be somewhere around a 10-11 min mile for a casual run unless she is training for time. So, approx 3.5 m in 45mins

I just watched SharonNeedles Brooklyn videos (thank you for doing that), and having not seen many (possibly a place or two along Mills, and the intersection with E 2nd), if any, good spots to grab MT, I'm still leaning towards it happening near bf's house. I'm also leaning towards more suspicions about that electric co-ops camera being out. Either that or the perp didn't even think about the fact that they would have a camera - maybe on an adrenaline high and not thinking about being caught on film? Frustration.
I wonder about this camera too. I also wonder who installed it, when it was installed, was it monitored by a outside company, how many more was there (no company puts up just one camera) was it a ip camera....If not a camera on a network then I would be done wondering about it. with all that said I am trying very hard to park my thinking on tech in reguards to this case. the info on that camera will likely never be told. a camera on a network could be remote viewed and not just by an employee and that's all I am going to say about that. moo

Last edited:
If she started at 7:30 and looped around through town with the idea of eventually ending up at her mom's house, she had plenty of time. She could easily have a route planned that would accomplish this in 45 minutes, and it would still be plenty light. It didn't start getting dark until after 9, if I recall. And in the summer, such a plan is preferable to jogging in the head of the day.

Sunset on July 18 in Brooklyn was at 8:40PM.
Sunrise and sunset times in Brooklyn, IA - July 2018

She started jogging at 7:30. Her typical 45 minute run takes her to 8:15. If we believe that she ran in a circle, it doesn't really add up that she still had to eat dinner and collect the car and avoid walking/jogging before dark.

We know that she needed to go to mom's to get the car OR make arrangements to get it in the morning.
Her mother texted Mollie that evening regarding dinner, and said that she was making brats. Mollie replied "ok".
Her brother texted her in the morning to see if she needed a ride.
That leaves us with two possibilities:
1. that Mollie planned to go to her mom's for dinner and to pick up the car
2. that Mollie decided not to go to her mom's for whatever reason (she had leftover pizza at DJ's, doesn't particularly care for brats, etc.). She would have a) run/walked over to her mom's in the morning and picked up the car, or b) called her brother to pick her up in the morning.
IMHO, either is completely possible.

I think he was going to pick her up, take her to work, and then go to wherever he was going to go.
Let me rephrase because I’m curious about who might have seen Mollie to become possibly negatively attracted to her. On July 18th when her brother dropped her off at 5:30, did he have to pick her up from her job? Or did she have the car while she was at work and then have to pick him up from his job first? Never heard anything about if her brother needs the car to go to work during the day as well. Also what time did she finish work and how far a drive is it from her place of work to Brooklyn?

The routes that have been floated around all seem to be about 2 miles. That's where I think there's a problem. I just don't see her running that slow.
I posted a route that was 4.17 miles and the .17 could be considered a walking cool down I suppose. From DJ house to mom’s house

Attachments

• 65D5250A-65EB-44A7-AAB4-1B87CE03747F.jpeg
    65D5250A-65EB-44A7-AAB4-1B87CE03747F.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 30
For those who have wondered if MT case is related to Evansville, IN murders ... I do wonder, would the same person who took an 8 and 10 year old (and for what reason) have the same interest in a 20 year old? Don’t normally child abductors want child age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288