Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, yes I did see that but that was after the fact - instead of notifying us before he was going to do it, which is my only point really. It would have saved a lot of grief IMO
Dave posted "I have removed History" yesterday within a few minutes of removing history.
I was online when it happened.
The problem seems to be that users don't take time to read prior posts; even reading a few pages of back posts would help with minimizing confusion/grief/aggravation, etc.
There was Suglo's post yesterday (3:25 PM) and then Dave's post (3:28PM). Here are the posts:

My history tab disappeared a few minutes ago. I’m on an iPhone 7. I have a feeling it’s part of what you’re working on but wanted to let you know in case it isn’t.
I have removed History, similar threads as well as the recent threads/posts in the sidebar. At this time I cannot say what of these items will return.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes I did see that but that was after the fact - instead of notifying us before he was going to do it, which is my only point really. It would have saved a lot of grief IMO

Dialogue is essential to maintaining clarity here. When something front & center is removed, please just a simple Admin Post something like: fyi-this or that is being removed as a culprit test. That’s basic, it saves time and angst for everyone. Waiting until someone notices isn’t helpful in the way of clear communication.

Can we get some consistency on this?

That's precisely the point. No advance warning it was coming down.

Ok I'm off to read some threads now.

Maybe 24 hour notice would have been nice?

When there is an issue of it taking 5 minutes for people to make a post, I think I will go for the fix and let you know what I had to do.

But this is me looking at what is best for the majority and websleuths in general. Again I am not afforded the opportunity to look at things in such a simplistic fashion.

Who are "these people" ? Do you
mean us the users?

Not sure but I will add that there are many others expressing their frustrations on unrelated threads that would most likely add up to more than 1% trying in regards to getting clarity.

I am not tech degreed, so I personally wouldn’t suggest anything on how tech should operate. Inquiring about changes, issues, returning dialogue, communication isn’t tech talk.

To be fair, it would have literally saved only a few minutes of 'grief'. I can't even imagine experiencing any amount of 'grief' over something like history being removed. ;)

Is there another way I can find new threads please? I’ve looked in new posts but it seems to be just recent comments on old cases. TYIA.
There haven’t been many new threads started today. I get notifications for new threads for those forums I mark watched. If you go to the home page then scroll down you can see the different forums. You then open those you are interested in (say missing) and hit the watch forum towards the upper right hand corner. I am then alerted each time a new thread is opened under that forum in my “alerts” tab.

So here’s my friendly PSA: Folks - It’s too easy to attribute intentions and emotions to words we see online. We don’t have the ability to see the other person, or hear the tone of voice someone might use if the conversation were taking place face to face. That’s why I think we should always slow down, not read into what someone else is saying, and give each other the benefit of the doubt whenever possible. Life’s too short to think the worst in others or to get upset about something that isn’t obviously worth it. Take a breath. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As I said in a previous post. It is all about a very poorly written add on. It may be the history add on it may not be. Seems a small handful of people are under the impression that the only reason I did this is because I am evil.

Yikes, I’m sorry that you felt vilified by users. I didn’t see any posts directed at you or calling you evil.

I hope you are able to receive feedback in a way that is helpful to you. Please let us know how we can help. We are all here on the same side of helping victims of terrible crimes.

So here’s my friendly PSA: Folks - It’s too easy to attribute intentions and emotions to words we see online. We don’t have the ability to see the other person, or hear the tone of voice someone might use if the conversation were taking place face to face. That’s why I think we should always slow down, not read into what someone else is saying, and give each other the benefit of the doubt whenever possible. Life’s too short to think the worst in others or to get upset about something that isn’t obviously worth it. Take a breath. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
BBM

Yikes, I’m sorry that you felt vilified by users. I didn’t see any posts directed at you or calling you evil.

I hope you are able to receive feedback in a way that is helpful to you. Please let us know how we can help. We are all here on the same side of helping victims of terrible crimes.
BBM

Very well said, both of you. The “like” button wasn’t enough. Thanks!

That's precisely the point. No advance warning it was coming down.

I think there was advance warning but only those of us who happen to read here and know ahead of time that "Welcome to Websleuths" might be a thread that contains discussion of technical difficulties -- a newcomer wouldn't know that just from the title -- saw it in time. And as someone pointed out, people notoriously don't read back even a page to figure out what's going on before posting the same question. Every time I've groused about that in an active thread a mod sternly reminds me that that is the reality of a large forum and that I should scroll and roll. sigh

As you pointed out earlier, @WS Admin, we don't know what this enormous mess looks like from your end. So when things disappear, we don't always know if it's because you're tinkering with that particular thingie, or if we're seeing some harbinger of disaster we should warn you about. I really don't think anyone thinks you're evil. We just don't know what to expect. I do know that it should be possible to post a banner up top warning folks that work is ongoing and features may change/disappear/reappear/slow down without warning.

Harmony posted one but I cant find it!

Yes she did and was much appreciated. IIRC, it was an open thread correct me if I am wrong, and not ideally set up to locate quickly. I have come to believe many on here are speed readers and speed typists even with 2 thumbs. I do not fall into that category.

I was thinking more along the lines of a type of glossary. For example, Watch Thread.....click on that takes one to the how to step by step directions or definition.....Image Inserting......., Trophies....., etc. Hope I am making sense.

Presently I have been taking screen shots.

ETA: a type of reference book so to speak, ..a manual, but short and simple if possible

Last edited:
This. A banner...

“As you pointed out earlier, @WS Admin, we don't know what this enormous mess looks like from your end. So when things disappear, we don't always know if it's because you're tinkering with that particular thingie, or if we're seeing some harbinger of disaster we should warn you about. I really don't think anyone thinks you're evil. We just don't know what to expect. I do know that it should be possible to post a banner up top warning folks that work is ongoing and features may change/disappear/reappear/slow down without warning.”

Thanks dms. Everyone posting here wants the best for Websleuths, so there needs to be clear communication as well as respect for the process. I got the impression pages ago that Dave doesn’t want to hear about stuff we observe because it’s usually happening because he’s tinkering. So a banner letting us know what’s going on would be the best solution. That would be a lot quicker than questions and a discussion that goes downhill fast.
JMO

I have removed History, similar threads as well as the recent threads/posts in the sidebar. At this time I cannot say what of these items will return.

I am really really upset that the recent threads/posts in the sidebar is gone, that was the feature I used the most on the site and we were told before the switch that it would not go away.

Can you please tell us how it helps to go away?

Maybe I am the only one. I have had an absolutely horrendous few days and this might be a tipping point for me. I came her to finally try to catch up on all that I have missed and That was one my ONE must have feature to keep up. I was not expecting my day to end like this. I do imagine I sound dramatic but when WS has been part of one's daily routine for years it is hard to let it go.

I may have serious withdrawals but maybe it is time. This sucks. Personally for me, I would take slowness over not having that option. I have not once complained about the site being slow. I am in tears right now thinking that something I have come to rely on to destress from my crazy job will be no longer an option.

I have never complained or said me too. I have only asked that that feature not be removed with the new site and prayed that it never would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288