Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew she had a doctor's appointment that morning because she’s pregnant. She didn’t show up for it … and I was even more concerned."

How did she know SW didn’t show up for her doctors appt? HIPPA (patient confidentiality) is a HUGE DEAL and that information wouldn’t be given out, not even to her husband.

We don't know yet but people have speculated that her friend was either supposed to go with her or at least watch the kids during the appointment. That's the only logical explanation because like you said the doctors office couldn't have told her anything.

So far I've found two user names for CW. chrisleewatts and chris_thrives (from his now deleted Instagram). Still digging. He definitely tried to wipe himself off the internet before committing these crimes. Something truly sinister and premeditated happened here.

So I've been thinking about this crime all week. (Obviously-a look at my posting history shows I am a little obsessed.) At first I started familiarizing myself with it because it's the topic of our podcast episode tomorrow night and I was trying to make sure that I had all the facts and didn't screw anything up. But in the last 48 hours I've just obsessed.

I am having a hard time with this one. The fact that we are all speculating and coming up with all of these theories (some of them far-fetched, IMO) and speculations is a testament, I think, to our collective confusion. We've spent a ton of time talking about Thrive and possible cheating, and mental illness (on both of their parts) and financial trouble because, I think, we are ALL having trouble wrapping our heads around this crime and we're just trying to come up with something-ANYTHING-that might help us to understand it.

I'll admit it, I don't get it. I realize that SM doesn't portray life as it is, and I think the majority of her posts were marketing material taken straight out of MLM Social Media 101, but it still does a pretty darn good job of painting a picture-fake or not. Usually by this point people are coming out of the woodwork and talking about control issues, domestic violence instances that were kept hushed, "feelings" that people had, etc. The most we're getting is that he was quiet, kind of shy, and didn't show many emotions-none of which would throw up any red flags. The kids appear close to him in the videos and pictures; it's difficult for kids to fake that (I know because I WAS a child in a bad situation). His eyes looked a little "off", but my husband's do as well. I've actually had people write me and ask if my husband is depressed because he never smiles in pictures. Nope, that's just him. He has the male equivalency of resting ***** face.

So what the heck happened here? A sudden fit of rage could, I think, account for one of the murders but three? Man, that's one psychotic break.

And what WAS his endgame anyway? Was he trying to pull a Scott Peterson? Off his family so that he could start anew as the grieving widower? If that was his plan then he was really, REALLY bad at it because most people online had him pegged as the culprit from the moment he gave that interview. He didn't do any job of setting up the house to make it look like a desertion or a kidnapping. Didn't plant any seeds to friends or on social media, didn't get rid of things that might prove that she just took off, didn't mess the house up to look like an intruder-he literally just took the bodies away and then carried on about his merry way. That is not the work of a smooth criminal. In fact, that goes up there with some of the worst planning, or lack of planning I've seen. Is there a Darwin Awards for crime?

What gets me, too, is that the crime was so utterly useless and pointless. Aside from the fact that ALL murders (especially those of children) are always pointless, he caved within a day or two and admitted to killing them. Now he will be in prison for the rest of his life.

I only knew Shanann through my support groups but I feel so sorry for her and the girls. Not only was she murdered but now her personal life will be picked to shreds on social media and in court. Even if I don't "get" the whole Le-vel thing, she WAS trying to live a good life. Doing things with her kids, traveling, working, etc. Many in my support groups just give up on life and resign themselves to a life of pain and suffering.(Sometimes I throw myself a pity party and do the same.) I have a soft spot for those who attempt to keep chugging along and even thriving (no pun intended) despite their health.

I'm angry on her behalf. No matter what led him to do what he did, it was completely senseless. If there was some kind of outside influence, though, (like a chemical reaction to a supplement or something) then I just hope that it will serve as a warning for people in the future. I don't think it will be anything like that, however I think that probably like many criminals before him, he was a boiling pot and his family was just right there when he finally spilled over. It really makes me sad.

Great post! Like you and so many others I have so many unanswered questions. I can’t wrap my head around this horrific tragedy.
I would love to listen to your podcast. Do you have a link?

I don't think we should criticize her on her business. Lots of young people get all excited about and involved in marketing 'schemes'. It all started many years with stuff like A....if you know what I mean.

I knew she had a doctor's appointment that morning because she’s pregnant. She didn’t show up for it … and I was even more concerned."

How did she know SW didn’t show up for her doctors appt? HIPPA (patient confidentiality) is a HUGE DEAL and that information wouldn’t be given out, not even to her husband.
Chatter was that SW's Mum had been calling/texting SW since early morning without response. She knew that SW and Nicole had been together in AZ and contacted Nicole who also hadn't been able to reach her - Hence Nicole went directly to the house. I'm sure Mum, Nicole, or LE called the Obgyn asking to talk with SW and told she was not there/missed her appt. (SW Medical info not released/breached in emergency situation). MOO

Chatter was that SW's Mum had been calling/texting SW since early morning without response. She knew that SW and Nicole had been together in AZ and contacted Nicole who also hadn't been able to reach her - Hence Nicole went directly to the house. I'm sure Mum, Nicole, or LE called the Obgyn asking to talk with SW and told she was not there/missed her appt. (SW Medical info not released/breached in emergency situation). MOO

That is considered a breach. I work in healthcare - they can’t give that information out without a court order.

I wonder how the friend and police got inside the house? Our daughter's ex phoned police for a well-check but police only came to the front door. When she didn't answer they left and came back later. Her neighbor told her about it.
Chris raced home when her friend showed up at the house so he let them in

I'm really upset to hear her friends are doing a special Thrive promotion for her. Even the friend Nikole who alterted LE and was the last person to see her alive (CW)

I find this reprehensible that they are using her name to continue to promote this garbage and assure everyone int he pyramid scheme gets their commission.

Why not just a for her family's funeral costs?

That way all the money goes directly to her family and quickly for them to use for those expenses that are going to pop up real soon

I'm just outraged over these parasites that were "friends" and the Le-Vel company. Disgusting

If they are promoting sales using her name to assure everyone in the pyramid receives their commission, it would not be to benefit Shannan's family. It would be to benefit those who would be losing commissions because they are above Shannon on the pyramid and will not receive their commissions if Shannan does not make her quota. Your commission will always depend on your down line making their quotas. So, without Shannan making her quota.....those above her would not make the amount they are expecting/count on. If that is what they are having this big push for sales to "honor Shannan", I find it even more disgusting than what I thought! Does it actually say it is so everyone will get their commission?

I called it a pyramid just for conversation sake. But, it is really different than a pyramid scheme and that is why it is legal. In an actual pyramid scheme, you do not have to sell anything to make money from those under you. With the MLM companies there are sales requirements at every level.

I hate personally. Having said that though, I saw that there has already been a ton of money raised for her family with a , so they have plenty for the funerals and other expenses already and I am sure it will grow.

Last edited:
I wonder how the friend and police got inside the house? Our daughter's ex phoned police for a well-check but police only came to the front door. When she didn't answer they left and came back later. Her neighbor told her about it.

I think with the article / video newsreport being early on when she was missing, those details that some are asking on this page are answered in a more thorough article here (FYI, same one friend, we’ve seen two different last names used).

Atkinson said she became immediately concerned about Watts when she didn't hear from her on the day she went missing. She said Watts had plans to see her doctor that day and missed the appointment.

She said she drove to the Watts' family home that day. But she got no answer when she rang the bell and noticed that Shanann's car was in the garage.

She told ABC News on Sunday that she called Chris Watts to express her concern. Then she called the Frederick Police Department and asked for a welfare check on Shanann.

She said Chris later showed up and they went into the house with a police officer.

When they found Watts' purse and cell phone inside the house and her keys inside her car in the garage, Atkinson became even more alarmed.
'I hope it's a boy for him': Pregnant wife, weeks before husband allegedly killed her

Even when lying, there are elements of truth.

What was the emotional convo about?

My hunch is her suspicions of him cheating were not farfetched, I think he wanted out. He may have wanted another baby with her at one point, but his reaction in the pregnancy reveal didn't strike me as enthused.
He waited up for her, we know that. My theory:
He told her he wanted out, asked her to cancel gender reveal and abort baby. She flips out, they fight, he chokes her-- kids come down with all the ruckus. He can't leave them as witnesses, and reluctantly kills them too.

C.W. truly reminds me of my ex and he really started off with verbal abuse that was easily missed. Veiled sarcasm. Jokes almost. Then more emotional. Just would distance himself because of his perceived threat. But made me feel like I was a horrible significant other until I started to see signs of violence towards objects and neglect (our child) which had me gone. In hindsight unfortunately I should have been gone a year prior with the verbal abuse had I been more alert to it.
But I truly don’t think she probably had indications of any of this occurring. The minute I felt like my child had any chance of being used as a tool against me in anyway and that he was so emotionally messed up that he didn’t care about a child I packed our stuff and ran.

It did make me think though of things that could have triggered him...We don’t truly know exactly what their finances are. We do know C.W. has a stable job with a decent income. SW is working for a MLM scheme using SM to boost income. But is super dependent on her people below her and keeping them, adding more and having them buying product to make money. If not she will be the one buying product to make money is my understanding of this. Also means a lot of time spent on SM, txts etc. SW goes on Work conference with her people. ? Spending money on food. Sending texts to C.W. about the amazing new products coming out that they need to buy? Or maybe that she is buying? Maybe dollar signs are going through his head, along with pending court date?

Another thought. C.W. hasn’t truly been with daughters in 5+ weeks. A lot can change with 3 and 4 year olds in that time. New routine? No naps now? They haven’t been in their regular beds with their regular nightlights etc. SW has been their primary caregiver for 5+ weeks. Maybe one is sick. Maybe someone won’t sleep. Maybe someone wet the bed. He had to go to birthday with kids under 5 that day. Maybe it was a long weekend. Tells himself he can make it until 11. His interview words describing daughter as “rampage” and “troublemaker” haunt me. Maybe he had his “thrive patch” on and didn’t sleep much. Added to all this he got a text saying flight delayed and he just snapped. I’ve worked. She has been on vacation and travelled with work, is maybe spending money they might not have. He is stuck with the kids and she can’t be home on time for him to sleep before work.... I’m betting he sent texts to that effect and they scared N. And I’m betting he knew exactly what time she got home because he was watching that clock getting angrier and angrier... MOO.

So far I've found two user names for CW. chrisleewatts and chris_thrives (from his now deleted Instagram). Still digging. He definitely tried to wipe himself off the internet before committing these crimes. Something truly sinister and premeditated happened here.

It's really important to find all these indications of premeditation....

I gotta tell you, I've been guilty of being one of those friends. I wasn't close enough, because if I was, I would find the words, no matter how hard it was, to gently let them know they are alienating people.

But this friend/acquaintance got wrapped up in a MLM and her Instagram/Twitter/Facebook was overrun. It was like a cult. The only people who liked all her crap were other people selling it. It was freaky and lasted 6 months.

God only knows how much money she lost. But, pouf, it disappeared and she is back. I feel bad for these people but, yes, just like you, really annoyed.

It actually can be cultish. If you aren't careful you can be pulled into it.

I don't think we should criticize her on her business. Lots of young people get all excited about and involved in marketing 'schemes'. It all started many years with stuff like A....if you know what I mean.
Agree.

IMO I don't think anyone is criticizing HER (and if so - Mamma Tricia and everyone here will have their heads). I think we are generally leery of these MLMs and, now especially, the toll it takes on the participants and their respective families.

I truly believe she engaged in this to avoid working nights/weekends to makes ends meet and stay home with her babies. We cannot judge her for that - no matter WHAT the toll was on her marriage.

I think HE sold her an empty promise when she agreed to move to CO with him. She was trapped. She was sold snake oil by HIM. JMO.

Even when lying, there are elements of truth.

What was the emotional convo about?

My hunch is her suspicions of him cheating were not farfetched, I think he wanted out. He may have wanted another baby with her at one point, but his reaction in the pregnancy reveal didn't strike me as enthused.
He waited up for her, we know that. My theory:
He told her he wanted out, asked her to cancel gender reveal and abort baby. She flips out, they fight, he chokes her-- kids come down with all the ruckus. He can't leave them as witnesses, and reluctantly kills them too.

I'm not gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think there are very likely to be real indications of premeditation on his computer..

M
My guess is she has a friend at the clinic and direct lined her.

Very interesting that the friend didn't try the husband before police, didn't try to call his work. Wouldn't you .. unless you thought he was a monster?

According to him, she did call and/or he saw her on the doorbell camera, then raced home.

I wondered about this at first, then remembered that we filled out forms at our PCP to allow information to be shared. I can call hubby's doctor and ask when his next appointment is and they will give me that information. So, maybe she put N down as an approved person (or her mom) with whom they could share info. ?

I think CW participated in the walk-through and let the police in. This is from CNN:

During the day, he said, he called and texted her three times, but she did not respond. A friend contacted him and told him she was trying to reach her too, but had not heard back, he said.
"I came home ... and then walked in the house and nothing was here ... she wasn't here, the kids weren't here. Nobody was here," Watts said. "Could she just have taken off? I don't know."
The Frederick Police Department received a missing person call just before 2 p.m. Monday, Sgt. Ian Albert said. They conducted a welfare check after a friend called and requested one.

Chris Watts pleaded for his family's return hours before his arrest - CNN

Last edited:
That is considered a breach. I work in healthcare - they can’t give that information out without a court order.
This is assuming the receptionist/scheduler is competent and compliant on HIPAA law. Some are not and will just look up the schedule and say "no, she has not checked in yet". I only say that cuz I've worked with such an incompetent receptionist in the past. A true liability in every way. We all thank GOD every day she left as our admin was literally too scared to fire her.

Wow! Glad we're old and in an older neighborhood and only have the dues to worry about! Dictating the color of paint on the front door is a tad ridiculous. If that's what happened to the Watts, I wonder why the neighbors haven't spoken up about it in support.

The thing about the HOAs around this area of Colorado is that they include trash and recycle pickup. It’s a weekly event that keeps management actively involved. I think the most frequent citation is weeds not being pulled along the sidewalks. House color combos are limited to a defined palette and you need approval from the Board prior to painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member