Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post - amazing how much information in on here! My main questions/points after reading what I could on all these threads are the pinned tweet and the snapchat text. First of all the tweet is just too much of a crazy coincidence. Has it been verified that was a police offer asking her? If no officer confirms it, I would think it was a stalker messing with her knowing exactly what he was planning and the opportunity came when the boyfriend was gone. Sorry if this has been already answered! Second the FBI asked her mom if she was "in a home" at 945pm and the boyfriend also said the text looked like she was inside. Could that be a cry for help from where she was taken? Does Snapchat have a location tracker for pictures or texts sent? I know if I post a Facebook picture my location is posted. Also the area she ran in is more residential than I expected and it seems hard to think of being snatched in town (unless of course she knew the person - but she was on a run, why would she get in a car even with someone she knew? Bad weather? Was it raining hard during her run? Did she sprain an ankle?). I would think it more likely a random kidnapping would happen on the dirt road by the house, but I guess the fitbit showed she didn't run there?

Basically if you were in the area of the dots between 5 and 10 pm LE needs to speak to you, as you could be considered a suspect. And if you don't contact LE as you were asked to do, and someone remembers seeing you, or you are captured on CCTV, and you deny or mislead LE about your whereabouts, it's going to lead to a lot more questions. I think that's called good old-fashioned police work.

My apologies if this has been covered, these threads move quickly. Could somebody please clarify these points for me;

I’ve read that MT lived at the DJ/BJ house, but also that she was just dog sitting there. I would presume that she lived at her mothers house and *practically* lived at the DJ/BJ house (since she was Catholic and unmarried, and because she shared a car with her brother and he lived at the mothers house) but could someone clarify

Also, the article I’ve linked mentions that MTs Fitbit data shows she returned to the DJ/BJ house.

“.....(DC)..... said he was interviewed by investigators who told him that data from Tibbetts' Fitbit showed she jogged past his home that evening”

and

“Investigators are tracking the data on the young woman's Fitbit, which her boyfriend said she never took off. Reports claim that her Fitbit shows she returned home safely after her jog and sent her boyfriend a Snapchat that night.”

How are they tracking it? Has it been recovered? Or is it shoddy journalism.

Brother of missing Iowa student's boyfriend cancels wedding & slams claims his family was involved | Daily Mail Online

Basically if you were in the area of the dots between 5 and 10 pm LE needs to speak to you, as you could be considered a suspect. And if you don't contact LE as you were asked to do, and someone remembers seeing you, or you are captured on CCTV, and you deny or mislead LE about your whereabouts, it's going to lead to a lot more questions. I think that's called good old-fashioned police work.

I certainly hope the police aren't going to consider each of the thousands of people who drove on I-80 past the truck stop as suspects unless they report in with LE.

Does anyone have any information on what areas were searched by volunteers within Brooklyn?

Reason being: There is at least one very sketchy property "block" that has many out buildings/shacks that would have potentially been on one of Mollie's running routes. It doesn't look actually abandoned in the google earth view, but there would be a lot of hiding places on that property.

Just hoping someone knows how exhaustive the searches were in Brooklyn itself

thanks in advance...

My apologies if this has been covered, these threads move quickly. Could somebody please clarify these points for me;

I’ve read that MT lived at the DJ/BJ house, but also that she was just dog sitting there. I would presume that she lived at her mothers house and *practically* lived at the DJ/BJ house (since she was Catholic and unmarried, and because she shared a car with her brother and he lived at the mothers house) but could someone clarify

Also, the article I’ve linked mentions that MTs Fitbit data shows she returned to the DJ/BJ house.

“.....(DC)..... said he was interviewed by investigators who told him that data from Tibbetts' Fitbit showed she jogged past his home that evening”

and

“Investigators are tracking the data on the young woman's Fitbit, which her boyfriend said she never took off. Reports claim that her Fitbit shows she returned home safely after her jog and sent her boyfriend a Snapchat that night.”

How are they tracking it? Has it been recovered? Or is it shoddy journalism.

Brother of missing Iowa student's boyfriend cancels wedding & slams claims his family was involved | Daily Mail Online
During the summer, Mollie split time between her mom's house and DJ/BJ/AH's house. The air conditioning at DJ/BJ/AH's house was more efficient.

off topic: I read the other day that the average person shakes hands with a murder atleast one times per yr. boy if that thought doesn't keep you up at night.....

Like I mentioned before, we had a person walk into our police station, claiming to have witnessed a murder. It was currently being investigated. That person was determined to be the actual perp.
He thrived on the LE attention he received, as a purported eyewitness, IMO.
So, yes it is possible to come face-to-face with one. They don't wear a sign, proclaiming their status. And can blend in, with everyone else.

A repeat compulsive offender who has practice in this sickness is not going to take a live cell phone with him as he makes his getaway. He would have clearly seen the phone at the time of the grab given her attire. First thing to go.

The fact that there is a data trail or at least data crumbs out of town then then tells me something.

Hi Sharon, I would be curious as to what theory you think best explains her disappearance since you drove the area and noted you didn’t think she was taken on her jog. Appreciate the video!
I don’t have a complete theory I can get behind, but consider this: I live in a very similar area, on the edge of town in a nearby community. Just last night shortly after sunset I drove home and passed by a young female solo jogger, a very similar situation to what an abduction scenario for Mollie would look like. There’s only one scenario that could have resulted in that jogger ending up in my car with nobody seeing or hearing anything: if she knew me, I could call out to her. That’s it. No other way that girl gets in my car. Whether it happened on her jog or after her jog I don’t know, but I feel certain she got in a car with somebody she knows and felt comfortable enough to do so with. Beyond that I can only speculate.

Like I mentioned before, we had a person walk into our police station, claiming to have witnessed a murder. It was currently being investigated. That person was determined to be the actual perp.
So, yes it is possible to come face-to-face with one. They don't wear a sign, proclaiming their status. And can blend in, with everyone else.

I'm afraid this might happen a lot more than we would think, especially in a larger population area.. not necessarily Brooklyn. So LE tells the public very little so someone that wants to be suspected... would be asked to give the details.. so that when questioned by LE, they can quickly be ruled in or out based on what they know all along.

This homicide involved a college aged, female jogger. It was not planned, but a spontaneous assault.

A lot of the way we answer these questions depends on whether we think her disappearance was prompted by interactions with an acquaintance, who maybe got in over their head vs. a professional with a plan.

For me, if someone else was involved, I lean toward acquaintance. An acquaintance, then, would...

- be more likely to have heard she was staying there alone
- have an easier time luring her into a vehicle without a struggle
- have an easier time being admitted into the house and/or receiving a friendly greeting from the dogs
- likely have insider knowledge about the area (back roads, quarries, abandoned buildings, which roads are busy vs not)
- (if a closer friend to someone who lives in the house) have more info on whether the house had any security cameras etc
- be more likely to know her workplace and work schedule and maybe even had previously given her a ride there
- be more likely to understand how her FitBit works and connects to a phone
- be more likely to know her Snapchat or social media habits
- be more likely to have awareness of her daily rituals (when and where she runs and for how long; where her mom and bros live)
-be less likely to have adequate materials on hand to restrain her
- be less likely to have a pre-planned area, away from the public, where she could be held
- be less likely to head out of town on the highway (as they could just hole up somewhere remote)
- be more likely to be noticed if they changed their daily patterns
- be more likely to be mentioned in a tip if they had ever expressed interest in MT
- be more likely to avoid cameras bc of awareness of where some were
- be less likely perhaps to raise suspicion if, for ex, they regularly used the car wash as a local
- be more likely to have participated in searches, vigils, etc and more likely to know the local rumors on what areas have been or are being searched

What else?

For those of you who suspect a SK or more professional criminal, feel free to flip this and discuss how your theory leads you to answer similar questions.

I don’t have a complete theory I can get behind, but consider this: I live in a very similar area, on the edge of town in a nearby community. Just last night shortly after sunset I drove home and passed by a young female solo jogger, a very similar situation to what an abduction scenario for Mollie would look like. There’s only one scenario that could have resulted in that jogger ending up in my car with nobody seeing or hearing anything: if she knew me, I could call out to her. That’s it. No other way that girl gets in my car. Whether it happened on her jog or after her jog I don’t know, but I feel certain she got in a car with somebody she knows and felt comfortable enough to do so with. Beyond that I can only speculate.

Sorry, but again I am a runner. In my experience, runners don't get into cars while they are on a run. I mean.. we stink to high heavens!!! We reek! Even if she wanted to hang out with someone, she would tell them to meet her at the house when she's done.. etc. It just doesn't match what I have seen over many years.

I think she was either hit by a car, she was abducted by someone who jumped out from bushes... if she was truly running when she went missing.

Even if she twisted her ankle badly, she would not get in the car of a stranger on her own. She would call 911 if she couldn't hobble back to the house.

THIS is what I always said. Someone she knew saw her and offered her a ride. LE/FBI should interview everyone in that town! Go door to door.

This is a crazy question but if this was a sexually motivated crime, where would she have been assaulted? I mean, a car would be tough and if the assailant is unknown to her, she must have screamed and put up a fight.

If picked up in a car, gratification needs to be delayed. And what do you do with Molly until there is a place where she can be assaulted?

I wonder if she was pulled into a nearby cornfield near DJ's house where she was assaulted and perhaps
killed. No car seen and no evidence left behind.

Her fit bit and phone may have been dumped at the hog farmer's place to
try to throw off authorities.

I'd check the cornfields around the house again.

This is my first post - amazing how much information in on here! My main questions/points after reading what I could on all these threads are the pinned tweet and the snapchat text. First of all the tweet is just too much of a crazy coincidence. Has it been verified that was a police offer asking her? If no officer confirms it, I would think it was a stalker messing with her knowing exactly what he was planning and the opportunity came when the boyfriend was gone. Sorry if this has been already answered! Second the FBI asked her mom if she was "in a home" at 945pm and the boyfriend also said the text looked like she was inside. Could that be a cry for help from where she was taken? Does Snapchat have a location tracker for pictures or texts sent? I know if I post a Facebook picture my location is posted. Also the area she ran in is more residential than I expected and it seems hard to think of being snatched in town (unless of course she knew the person - but she was on a run, why would she get in a car even with someone she knew? Bad weather? Was it raining hard during her run? Did she sprain an ankle?). I would think it more likely a random kidnapping would happen on the dirt road by the house, but I guess the fitbit showed she didn't run there?

I haven't been able to read or post in several days. what is the pinned tweet you are referring to? I missed that somehow. thanks.

A repeat compulsive offender who has practice in this sickness is not going to take a live cell phone with him as he makes his getaway. He would have clearly seen the phone at the time of the grab given her attire. First thing to go.

The fact that there is a data trail or at least data crumbs out of town then then tells me something.

First time poster...been following along for a long time and am blown away by you guys! This case is just driving me bonkers and breaking my heart, my "theory" changes every time I check in with the threads here. But this seems like a really great point to me. I am almost certain she was taken on her run...but then I think the fact that she was alone at the house is just too much of a coincidence for it to have been a random crime of opportunity...but the fact that the phone seems to have left a trail....my brain has bounced back and forth on this three times just while I have been writing this post. Ugh. Really hoping some more information is revealed soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie