Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the average number of cars is on a Wednesday evening for a small town like Brooklyn. Process of elimination seems like it wouldn't be out of the scope. Interesting.
When the interstate was first built through our rural area, I was surprised to visit a little community and be told that a bunch of them were going over to a restaurant at the interstate "to watch the tourists." That was entertainment on a long summer evening.

I’m signing off for a few days maybe more.

After Lucas Hernandez I was heartbroken. And each day that passes in my heart I chave lost hope. I don’t think Miss Mollie will be found for a time. And she had so much going for her. She was just beginning to make her own little corner of the world. And I hope I’m wrong.

I will be back when I am happier again and dealing with life in a more positive way.
And I think I’m going away for a while over to a National Park where everything is fresh and mostly innocent. LWhen I’m recharged Ill read every thread. And hope Mollie has been found.
Well for heaven's sake, take enough supplies and tell someone where you'll be. Besides here I mean.

I think it is more likely that whoever took Mollie DID know the area. If not, he most likely would have had to have been scoping out the area for awhile, and I think someone would notice a strange car. If a total stranger pulled this off without being noticed by ANYONE at all, I would consider him very lucky. But why take the chance? But if this WAS the case, maybe it is that strange car that was captured on one of the cameras . Maybe police do have witnesses who saw a strange car. I do think it is more likely someone familiar to the area, however. That's what makes the most sense.

So I know Brooklyn is a small town, but it's right off the interstate so I am sure people pull off for gas, food, etc. Do people really know everybody's cars? I have lived in small towns yet just knew my immediate neighbors cars. I don't find it that far fetched that someone at the truck stop or car wash could have seen her and followed her to a more rural area unnoticed.

You would think so, but then why would he commit a crime in the exact same location before, or right after turning the phone off? He had to know at least that the phone would be traceable and they would be looking in that location. He couldn't be that dumb, could he?
Imo, after the abandoned buildings, he might have taken MT, still with phone and fitbit on her, to the general area of pig farm and left her there. I've said it before, but I think the phone "pinged" there last because it got wet. The perp very well could have considered the phone and disposed of it at some seperate point, but I also think it's possible his mind was too occupied to bother worrying about it.

On the other hand, maybe the phone fell off in the vehicle or somewhere in the abandoned buildings and he found it, picked it up, and disposed of it. I don't know.

And for all we know, LE has found it.

Last edited:
This could be an acquaintance from school. Lot’s of people go to the college. They were a little obsessed with her and school was out and they hadn’t seen her in a while. They visit her town and begin looking for her. They find her and they ask her to go for a ride with them. She knows them well enough to trust and gets into car. Things aren’t turning out as just a simple ride and he makes advances. Or has a plan in place already. Just MOO.

I heard and saw something today, and it might be a similar event that happened to Mollie Tibbetts save the kidnapping part. A woman was walking on a country road. A large Suburban-type vehicle stopped beside her and the driver started yelling to her that he needed her and that he loved her, etc. She yelled back that she wanted to be free of the relationship. After about 10 minutes she got in the car.

I doubt this will be a kidnapping. But, it made me think of Miss Tibbetts.

I understand the relationship between the two agencies, I'm saying that anyone could do this, most certainly a stranger who never laid eyes on her before. And I do think LE's behavior and focus is one that suggests this is someone they have not yet singled out.
I'm interpreting what little we do know differently. I think they have been eyeballing the Perp and are waiting on the forensics to make the move. Guess we'll see, and sure hope I'm right.

Regarding cases where LE doesn't have enough evidence to 'make charges stick' against someone, but they 'know who did it' or at least have a likely suspect, is there a lawyer here who can explain in a nutshell why LE doesn't just charge the person based on circumstantial evidence, and keep their fingers crossed that eventually (by the time they go to trial), they'll have more to go on?

But what if LE has someone who circumstantially they think could have done it?Would their only recourse be to wait and watch and hope they would slip up somehow?

Very frustrating if so.

Thanks in advance.
respectfully snipped for space. Another scenario is that LE thinks she is alive(and several have said that), and they don't want to endanger her by keeping anyone they suspect locked up and jeopardize her safety or health. Just one possibility. I hope it's true. And then they find her alive and well.

This could be an acquaintance from school. Lot’s of people go to the college. They were a little obsessed with her and school was out and they hadn’t seen her in a while. They visit her town and begin looking for her. They find her and they ask her to go for a ride with them. She knows them well enough to trust and gets into car. Things aren’t turning out as just a simple ride and he makes advances. Or has a plan in place already. Just MOO.
This is very plausible. It made me think back to an oddball guy at school that gave me the heebie-jeebies. He used to pop up in random places to the point of stalking. My pit bull boyfriend scared him off, but it was very creepy. I can see this scenario you portray very easily.

I’m signing off for a few days maybe more.

After Lucas Hernandez I was heartbroken. And each day that passes in my heart I chave lost hope. I don’t think Miss Mollie will be found for a time. And she had so much going for her. She was just beginning to make her own little corner of the world. And I hope I’m wrong.

I will be back when I am happier again and dealing with life in a more positive way.
And I think I’m going away for a while over to a National Park where everything is fresh and mostly innocent. LWhen I’m recharged Ill read every thread. And hope Mollie has been found.
Goodbye for now, Charlie. Don't let the (you know whats) get you down! It really IS hard to stay positive following a case like this where it seems there cannot be a happy ending. I have only been here a month now, and I can't even imagine how I will feel if we get some terrible news. All the people that have been here for years, must be hit really hard when a case turns out to confirm your worst fears. You get so emotionally involved. Even though you don't know this person, she's just like your neighbor , daughter, sister, and I imagine the postings would almost become like a support group for a time, then back to following the case to see that justice is served.

I'm interpreting what little we do know differently. I think they have been eyeballing the Perp and are waiting on the forensics to make the move. Guess we'll see, and sure hope I'm right.
I'm interested in this, I would like to think this is case... But I'm curious what forensics you think they are analyzing? I have had a similar thought, but I can't think what evidence they would have besides digital evidence and data dumps from search warrants. I considered touch DNA but can't think of a likely source for that DNA unless they have collected physical evidence that has gone under the radar... And there are only a few sources I can think that they would have obtained that.

Goodbye for now, Charlie. Don't let the (you know whats) get you down! It really IS hard to stay positive following a case like this where it seems there cannot be a happy ending. I have only been here a month now, and I can't even imagine how I will feel if we get some terrible news. All the people that have been here for years, must be hit really hard when a case turns out to confirm your worst fears. You get so emotionally involved. Even though you don't know this person, she's just like your neighbor , daughter, sister, and I imagine the postings would almost become like a support group for a time, then back to following the case to see that justice is served.

It's *so* important to take a break when a thread is too upsetting. I see people (including myself) who sometimes take quite a break after a case is resolved. It's almost like a mourning/grief process. I took a long break after the Chelsea Bruck case. It's healthy.
Nature is the best medicine for me too.

This is very plausible. It made me think back to an oddball guy at school that gave me the heebie-jeebies. He used to pop up in random places to the point of stalking. My pit bull boyfriend scared him off, but it was very creepy. I can see this scenario you portray very easily.
This or maybe a dad of one of the kids at the daycare. Someone she is nice and pleasant towards, but they take her kindness as something more.

Last edited:
I was curious about MT's former high school. Less than a week ago, the BMGCS District was looking for a new English teacher and a full time cook:

- Teaching Jobs| K12 Jobspot

Short notice, since school starts 8/23 for the students; teachers needed to be in last week:

http://www.brooklyn.k12.ia.us/School_Calendar_-_2018-19

Normally teachers give notice around May, unless something very serious happens over the summer, such as a family emergency. It seems odd that a small school (257 students in grades 7-12) would still be looking for two important co-workers so close to the start of the term.

Did key personnel leave because they were distraught over MT's disappearance, or has the school had an influx of new students, thus needing more support? Did someone leave abruptly? What about other businesses in the area--any sudden departures?
In my opinion it's not uncommon to see that in any school, especially a small district as it can be hard to find good teachers. They may be posting a position because someone will be going on maternity leave, retiring, or they just are having trouble filling the position. I'm surprised there were only two.

I asked this in another thread. don't know which one or if it was answered. Was it ever mentioned if she carried a water bottle -refillable or commercial brand -on her run? one she would stop and refill. If so, where? or one she or someone might toss in trash or along a road? would she ever stop to buy a bottle of water? To me, it would seem odd not to take water on a run/walk on a hot day. I would and do.

I was curious about MT's former high school. Less than a week ago, the BMGCS District was looking for a new English teacher and a full time cook:

- Teaching Jobs| K12 Jobspot

Short notice, since school starts 8/23 for the students; teachers needed to be in last week:

http://www.brooklyn.k12.ia.us/School_Calendar_-_2018-19

Normally teachers give notice around May, unless something very serious happens over the summer, such as a family emergency. It seems odd that a small school (257 students in grades 7-12) would still be looking for two important co-workers so close to the start of the term.

Did key personnel leave because they were distraught over MT's disappearance, or has the school had an influx of new students, thus needing more support? Did someone leave abruptly? What about other businesses in the area--any sudden departures?

I like your thinking, but teachers do leave over the summer or last-minute very often.

Possible reasons why:
-poor pay at a small, rural school so they got a better job elsewhere
-moved out of the area
-spouse got a job that required a move
-pregnancy
-teacher burnout
-last-minute retirement
-personal illness or family illness

There are many plausible reasons. We have last-minute openings every year at my school, and we’re a very desirable district.

I don’t think I need to run down the possible reasons for a cook who probably makes minimum wage at best...

I can't find the quote, but regarding tranquilizer and farm animals - we have a horse farm and plenty of tranquilizer. Now I find it totally unplausible that someone could inject a fighting back woman, but access to tranquilizer would not be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member