Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *ARREST* #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Investigators: Suspect in Mollie Tibbetts death is in custody, subject to immigration detainer

Iowa state investigators said Tuesday they have a suspect in custody who is subject to a federal immigration detainer, typically an indication that the person is present in the United States illegally.

“We’re not going to release anything more until the press conference,” said Mitch Mortvedt, the assistant director of Iowa’s Division of Criminal Investigation. He said officials would provide more details at a press conference scheduled for 4 p.m. central time.

I feel immensely sad about this. I realize that this was the outcome I kinda expected all along, but it’s still just so heartbreaking to me. I also feel the need to state how strangeness it seems to me to find her body at this point-a whole month later. Unless she was put somewhere inside of something and a tip was called in or something like that. It may sound morbid, and I’m not trying to be we in sensitive at all, but if she were outside somewhere I would think buzzards would have been a tell-tale sign. I live on a farm and in the summer if we happen to have a steer die, buzzards are lurking by the end of the day. Also, my husband I once shot a deer and we couldn’t find it right away. We ended our search that night thinking that we’d look for buzzards the next day since it was unseasonably hot-which didn’t actually happen bc we did find it. Anyway, I guess this leads me to conclude that it wasn’t a vehicular accident and that she must have been inside somewhere and maybe LE got a tip. That’s a lot of rambling. I guess it’s just crazy to me for her to be found dead after all this time when I really hoped and prayed she’d be found alive.
If a body was buried, would the buzzards still circle? IDK.

jmo

So are you under the impression that county jails in Iowa are block houses with one common cell and an 80-year-old jailer named Fuzzy with an eye patch and a peg leg who spends most of his time asleep?

If they have someone in custody he's in Grinnell.
Sounds like an old John Wayne movie with Walter Brennan or Arthur Hunnicut.....LOL !!

After we've been instructed by Tricia/Moderators not to post about possible connections between this and other cases we've mostly refrained from doing so, but given the juxtaposition between where MT was last seen to where we believe MT was recovered, a pattern appears and I believe presents as a "logical connection", one of the criteria prompted by T/mods that would permit a post about a possible connection.

SPECULATION FOLLOWS and I am not identifying a specific case:

There is a case north of the MT case in which the bodies of abducted/murder victims were located in similar juxtaposition (that case: L-shaped up-and-left from area last seen; MT's case: L-shaped down and right from area last seen). Similar, in reverse.

That, plus a profile write-up of the perp in that case includes an interesting element:
  • The offender may have attempted to abduct children or adults in the past.
I believe it at least should be noted for potential future relevance. Now, waiting for the presser...

Mods, please delete if necessary... but it seems relevant since the cases are in such relatively close proximity and given the two elements noted above I felt compelled to share my thoughts.

It looks like Mollie's body was found 20 miles away from where she was last seen on W. Pershing Dr., similar to other missing and murdered in Iowa. I'm not convinced that makes a connection to other cases.

"She left Dalton Jack's four-bedroom home in West Des Moines Street and was last seen by a neighbor, Nate Hopwood, who lives a few hundred yards away in West Pershing Drive. From there the trail goes cold."

Mother of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts says she does not believe she returned home | Daily Mail Online

I really hate this outcome. Cases that involve children or young adults always affect me more than others, and Mollie was such a beautiful and vibrant young lady with her whole life ahead of her. I am glad her loved ones can give her the burial/memorial that she deserves and properly mourn her death. The only small comfort I have in this outcome is the knowledge that her family and friends won't be forced to spend the rest of their lives in the purgatory of never knowing.

I'm keeping my fingers (and toes!) crossed that LE has someone in custody. I'm also hoping this person hasn't left a long trail of dead bodies in his wake. The number of FBI agents working on this case and the extremely cautious and carefully worded distribution of information regarding this investigation has worried me quite a bit. I'm well aware that FBI involvement is a common occurrence in missing persons cases, especially in smaller communities. I live in Myrtle Beach, SC (which has felt more like Missing Persons USA, at times) and the FBI has been heavily involved with the investigations for both Brittanee Drexel and Heather Elvis. Both of these investigations became very high profile cases on a national level fairly quickly. In fact, I think there is an entire WS forum dedicated to each case. But neither of them ever had such a high number of agents working on their case (even with the FBI currently offering a $25K reward for information in BD's case) nor did they have a government website dedicated solely to generate tips. For these reasons alone, I'm concerned that a bigger fish than anyone might have realized might be at play here, and if so... I hope they've caught him.

"Iowa state investigators said Tuesday they have a suspect in custody who is subject to a federal immigration detainer, typically an indication that the person is present in the United States illegally."

Oh my God, we've been following this case like it's a criminal mastermind serial killer and it's going to be some drifter below the radar of social media and polite society, isn't it.

Using the MobilePatrol app looks like two guys were booked in that county recently. If they were led to the body by the suspect as some have theorized, it's possible it's one of those two guys. Also interesting to note that one of the two men shares the surname with someone who works for TIP, no idea if they are even related though.

Oh my God, we've been following this case like it's a criminal mastermind serial killer and it's going to be some drifter below the radar of social media and polite society, isn't it.
That’s exactly what it’s shaping up to be. A random killing perpetrated by a drifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288