Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain how a person with a ICE hold can be bonded out AND be on the streets? I expected to hear the Judge tell him OK 5M bond - cash and oh by the way if you bond out of our jail there is an ICE order for you that compells us to hand you over to FEDS until the time of your trial.

WHY didn't that happen?

Not unlikely. Curious now about the request for the gag order the judge mentioned. My only hope here is that the guy can't afford a better lawyer than that ambulance chaser there. There is probably a gizzilion reasons he could get off on all sorts of technicalities, especially if the case is primarily built around electronic recordings and cell tower pings. This could go wrong if a smart layer is on it. Sounds like their already moving towards not guilty defense.
Waiting for the "extorted confession" because of racism claim.
God no! Mollie and her family do not deserve this torture after the ultimate torture of loss of life and family member.

Quick background - cause there is alot unknown.

Agribusiness and meat packing in Iowa has a long and checkered history of using undocumented foreign nationals. A book was written about a very ugly episode: Postville: A Clash of Cultures in Heartland America

That was a case of a meatpacking plant. Terrible results. Also a documentary.

Agribusiness uses 'seasonal workers' (I believe that is H-2B visa). Agribusiness also uses other foreign nationals. There have been cohorts of people from Bosnia, Mexico, Central America (the USA has a history of this). There are always shenanigans often with the owners.

Employers get in trouble all the time for violations. Some meat packing plants go out of business. Other 'farmers' (really agri-business) are prosecuted. (you can google it). One agribusiness got in huge trouble for basically enslaving developmentally disabled adults. The workers get into trouble too.

Construction also uses H-2B visas, but that makes sense in that things are seasonal. There are not enough 'citizens' to meet employment needs.

So a person could be a naturalized citizen, a citizen on a visa (including an H-2B), or an undocumented foreign natural. Businesses are supposed to be tightly regulated, but as you can see that is problematic -- people cheat, owners cheat etc. etc.

I would be careful about labeling this person 'undocumented'. Who knows. The farm where he works belongs to a prominent and well connected family. I would not want to be in their shoes.

Hope that is some background worth considering. And not to make excuses for bad behaviors on the part of employees.

Translator. He had two of them; one for the court, and one working for his lawyer.
Makes sense to me. The court reporter can only translate what is said in court. His own translator could clarify, explain, answer questions.

What a specialized job these translators have!! Just being able to listen and instantly translate blows my tiny brain. I can't even type if someone is talking to me.

jmo

Live hearing: $5mil bond, cash only, surrender pp,(ha). Def Atty states defendant has no prior record and came to US as a minor and has 7th grade equiv education.

Well I wonder how many "forgotten" assaults he has committed in the last 4 to 7 years he has been here. I think his amnesia might disqualify him from using the NO prior asaults--I won't even go to killings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998