Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE has been extremely careful through this entire investigation.
I expect that care will be given to every aspect of this arrest/trial.
The prosecution will be careful

He has a lawyer. He has a translator. That is good (whether he needs one or not). Cover all bases.

Talking heads said yesterday that there could be a wealth of evidence at the crime scene, UNDER the body. Protected from the weather.
He isn't going anywhere except to prison

I'm not sure even with a translater will he understand. Many ESL individuals with the intelligence of a seventh grader do not understand complex language even in their native language.

He understands. He worked in Iowa for what 4-7 years. He used an IPhone (he says ) to find his way back.

The developmentally disabled can be convicted. However in death penalty states, they may not be executed (I think that varies from state to state)

Last edited:
Can you imagine the kid would've chosen the other field to dump the body, found by police during the initial search and no viable alibi for WC? Nobody would've believed him in a million years even with no other evidence to be found.

Maybe he passed the LDT
And I expect they are going to find some physical evidence

I don't think he killed her because he was afraid of deportation. But, her threatening to call the cops might have enraged him all the more because he thought he could be deported.

BUT....this was a crime of rage from start to finish - and he didn't really need a rational reason to be enraged. He was primed and ready to be enraged. If the thought of deportation enraged him, that was just one aspect of the crime, imo.

I don't think he thought - I'm going to be deported so I'll kill her. I think he was acting more primal than that. He was going to hurt her no matter what she said.

jmo
I agree with your analysis, and think it was a combo of fear and rage, for the reasons you stated, not wanting LE involvement. Do you think his intent was to kill her over this? His view of women is evident (no respect), by everything he did leading up to and through the crime.

Reading backwards here. We know his attorney says he has no criminal record, guessing he is including both in the US and in Mexico etc.
But we don't know what else he may have done. No way do I believe that we do. Hoping that if he has harmed any other living person that he goes down for that too.
I am not political, I am not a racist. But seems to me he had to sucker-punch her viciously or else she could have held her own. Wish she had simply used her automatic "911" on her IPhone. :(
As far as the subject of evil as a real thing, of course I believe it is. (MT had to sense the evil in him...)
You don't have to be religious at all to see it for what it is.
It has a look, a smell, an overwhelming ghoulish property that hides in some of the most outwardly beautiful people, places and things.
I am not referencing demons, necromancy nor am I lumping in the sadly mentally disturbed. Absolutely not. I work with them daily.
I do believe in the reality of evil and what "it" brings into this world.
Was this punk "evil" when he did what he did to Mollie?
Yes. Absolutely yes. Just like Emily when she did whatever the heck she did to poor Lucas. Wasn't the drugs or the stress or the custody issues, it was evil incarnate.
Just my own opinion as always. And to be clear I do not support the death penalty on personal grounds. But I am glad there are those that can uphold the laws. Just not in my name. There is no dp in Iowa so that's just how it's going to go.
Chi

I'm not sure even with a translater will he understand. Many ESL individuals with the intelligence of a seventh grader do not understand complex language even in their native language.

He’s been here since he was little. He understands. He gets English enough to drive. And I hope for the Tibbetts sake he had insurance. If Iowa requires it. I hope since he used the car and we don’t know to what extent, they can sue him and his insurance company.

At some point he very well may have taken a written drivers license test.

I disagree; I think I read that when the other migrant workers were question by LE; they thought they were from ICE.
Of course they thought that. I'm not seeing how that means anything in terms of her abduction and murder, however.

In my opinion, he didn't murder Mollie because he was afraid of deportation. If he was that afraid, he wouldn't do anything that would make someone want to call the police.

It's okay if we disagree.

jmo

Poweshiek Magistrate Diane Holcomb Johnson case # FECR010822 IOWA vs Rivera.

IOWA STATE Asst Attorney General Scott Brown and Poweshiek County Attorney Bart Claver (sic) PROSECUTION
Allan Richards Defense Attorney
Anna Runion (sic) interpreter.

Defense:

Filed a private hearing - What is that going to be about?
Filed an objection for expanded media coverage for this case.
"based on constitutional rights" per Allan Richards and he claimed that the govt' weighed in that CR (he keeps referring to defendant only by his first name!) and he went on to claim this was 'political payback'. ???

Anyone have any idea what in the world he is talking about? IS he trying to use politics as part of the defense?

Filed for a Gag Order. (wants it heard in District court instead of before the magistrate Judge)

Anyone explain why he would do this?

AG Brown said a Mr. GROVE is the regional media coordinator. He said state had no objections for expanded media coverage. Doesn't believe a private hearing is appropriate.

pursuit of 202.4 Private hearing ---
Defense claimed that he didn't SEE the media coverage paperwork filed yesterday because the court had some sort of computer problem AND because he wasn't hired until after that paperwork was filed with the court.

JUDGE reminded him on the record that she called both sides first thing this morning and told him as soon as he made it to court he could get a copy -

RICHARDS apparently waited until NOON to come to court to get paperwork and then tried to leverage on his client's behalf? (if I was his client and I was being tried for such a serious charge, I would expect my attorney to get to court ASAP)

I have a question about this attorney - he is from TAMA, IA which is in a different county. And is a private attorney. Anyone have any idea how CR actually found him? And who would be paying his bill?

It bothers me because I worry about who might be following this case and see this as some sort of test case and offer to bail CR out of jail.

Isn't it illegal to hire undocumented workers? Of course the employer wants to show that he was documented in some system or other. LOL
Without getting political, there is loophole that allows for migrant workers. However, I am guessing this was not just seasonal employment.

(Thanks, it’s bugging me to death, there was another similar case where the defendant said he blacked out and I can’t seem to remember it for the life of me. )

ETA: I’m looking at Diana’s case, and noticing the perp admitted to smoking meth. I wonder if this perp smokes meth as well?

This case has shadows of Enrique Arochi, Margarita. Killer of Christina Morris. His drug excuse was Adderall, topped up with alcohol.

Do we actually know more about his exact immigration status? I heard on the radio (CNN HLN) that his employer claims that he came back cleared in whatever database they check for work? Which could be a lie for self-defense of course. Or actually true. Dreamer?
i heard that as well - he was run through e-verify (used to determine if someone can legally be employed in the US) and came back as all good. It's a toss up really, could be a lie or could be true. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone dropped the ball and marked him as legal on the site when he should've have been. He could've also been a dreamer, i did see it mentioned that he came here as a minor but not sure when. If they think he's been here possibly for ~7 years that would've made him 17.

He’s been here since he was little. He understands. He gets English enough to drive. And I hope for the Tibbetts sake he had insurance. If Iowa requires it. I hope since he used the car and we don’t know to what extent, they can sue him and his insurance company.

At some point he very well may have taken a written drivers license test.
Seriously doubt he had auto insurance. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member