IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's sad and a bit off topic. One of our long time members is now a former member because of this tragedy and what went down on the thread yesterday. We need to take a breath and cool down, we're all not going to agree - it's controversial but it shouldn't be personal.

It was worse then Reddit and FB groups honestly. I've never seen anything like it on here. People trying to twist this tragedy to fit there own pet causes is absolutely ridiculous and im glad the mod team quickly clamped down.

Has anyone checked since this news broke if there are any other missing women in the area that this guy may have harmed or be a possible suspect for? I wonder if he lived elsewhere in the USA before Iowa.
There may be other cases of rapists they are trying to catch in that area that may come to light as well.
Trying to envision what happened, did he commit the crime right in the middle of the street? Did he take her elsewhere, rape and killed her and then dumped her in that field or did he knock her out putting her into the trunk alive and she was still alive when he left her in the field , unresponsive with a head injury. So many questions I have.
I am also really shocked that she couldn't fight this guy off, he's a little man, smaller than most women and weighs less than most women. My heart goes out to her family.... such a sad ending and waste of a beautiful life.
She may have been exhausted from her run. Especially if this was near the end of her route. :(

Has anyone checked since this news broke if there are any other missing women in the area that this guy may have harmed or be a possible suspect for? I wonder if he lived elsewhere in the USA before Iowa.
There may be other cases of rapists they are trying to catch in that area that may come to light as well.
Trying to envision what happened, did he commit the crime right in the middle of the street? Did he take her elsewhere, rape and killed her and then dumped her in that field or did he knock her out putting her into the trunk alive and she was still alive when he left her in the field , unresponsive with a head injury. So many questions I have.
I am also really shocked that she couldn't fight this guy off, he's a little man, smaller than most women and weighs less than most women. My heart goes out to her family.... such a sad ending and waste of a beautiful life.

Men are stronger than women. She didn't have a chance outdoing him physically. Her only chance would have been to get away from him and RUN. And since he had a car, even that would have been difficult.

I can't help but wonder how Rivera treated his girlfriend and daughter.
It always amazes me when a father of a daughter mistreats another female.
I'm thinking if Mollie had the ability she would have really tried to hurt him, like Mickey Shunick did to her killer. The thing is, Rivera had people to go home to. If Mollie injured him he would have had to explain the injuries somehow. I'm looking forward to hearing if she did indeed injure him. I sure hope so!

Im really curious about this too. He seemingly went home right after to a house several workers shared, got into bed with his GF and went to sleep like nothing happened?

Farm that hired Cristhian Rivera, Mollie Tibbetts' suspected killer, did not use E-Verify system, official says

The Mexican national accused of murdering college student Mollie Tibbetts in Iowa last month lived in the United States illegally for several years -- and worked for a farm that used Social Security Administration data in part to vet potential employees, according to officials there.

Identity fraud is the most common way illegal immigrants and "unscrupulous employers" try to thwart the system, said Jessica Vaughan, the director of policy studies for the Center for Immigration Studies.

While the details regarding how Rivera may have gamed the system remain unclear, Vaughan said many of the cases prosecuted in the past have seen an illegal immigrant simply purchase fraudulent identities.
Unbelievable.

Men are stronger than women. She didn't have a chance outdoing him physically. Her only chance would have been to get away from him and RUN. And since he had a car, even that would have been difficult.

I wonder if she even knew he was coming. Did they really talk? Did he really run along side of her. Or did he run up behind her and she didn’t hear him coming? :( Poor Mollie.

I think he sucker punched her for lack of a better word. She wasn’t prepared for what happened to her that day, as no woman should have to be, but sadly should have to be.

I wonder if she even knew he was coming. Did they really talk? Did he really run along side of her. Or did he run up behind her and she didn’t hear him coming? :( Poor Mollie.

Good questions. Hard to believe he was running along side of her and she didn't widen the gap considering she's a trained runner. I think it's possible he passed her with his car, parked, got out of his car, hid, and ambushed her as she was jogging by.

She may have been exhausted from her run. Especially if this was near the end of her route. :(
IMO, I think her adrenaline would have kicked in, but in any case, a punch to the head or hitting her head on the ground could have incapacitated her enough for him to get the upper hand. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in his mention of a head injury...

i was hoping to find a video of the Yarrabee Farms co-owners press conference, but no luck yet. From the Iowa Secretary of State, it doesn't appear E-Verify is mandatory. I think the Farm co-owner may have misspoken (or we misunderstood what he said today) when he said they used it to verify his documents at hiring. If they didn't, then his documents probably did match a person in Social Security with whatever name/address/birthdate the suspect used, so he "passed". I wonder whose identity he used to get the job .... faked documents, or real?

E-Verify

What is E-Verify
E-Verify is an Internet-based system that allows an employer, using information reported on an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to determine the eligibility of that employee to work in the United States. The program was authorized by the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (IIRIRA). For most employers, the use of E-Verify is voluntary and limited to determining the employment eligibility of new hires only. E-Verify is fast, free and easy to use – and it’s the best way employers can ensure a legal workforce. The E-Verify system is operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration.

Nationally, more than 238,000 employers are enrolled in the program, with over 16 million queries run through the system in fiscal year 2010. There have been over 3 million cases run through the system in fiscal year 2011 (as of December 11, 2010).

Here in Iowa, we have over 1,600 employers representing 7,330 worksites currently enrolled in E-Verify. In FY 2011, Iowa employers ran 129,000 E-Verify queries.

Just my thoughts... what Rivera did was absolutely horrible and despicable. And it wasn’t until he was cornered by LE that he confessed, putting Mollie’s family, boyfriend and friends through weeks of needless false hope and agony over her disappearance.

But after that, Rivera didn’t deny his involvement whatsoever. For whatever reason, he was ready to get caught. There’s a hundred scenarios he could’ve fabricated to minimize his involvement....he saved her from a vicious attack but she was mortally injured, or he rescued her from the side of the road but couldn’t save her, scared he’d get blamed....

Instead he admitted to everything required to support the first degree murder charge. Did he actually black-out or did the investigator figuratively or literally black-out the rest of his story because the general public really doesn’t need to know the lurid details?

If a gag order is placed, we don’t know that Rivera may plead guilty and if so we may never know all the gory details. But that does not diminish the memory of Molly. I’d imagine her family would prefer it that way.

Good questions. Hard to believe he was running along side of her and she didn't widen the gap considering she's a trained runner. I think it's possible he passed her with his car, parked, got out of his car, hid, and ambushed her as she was jogging by.
I think a couple of scenarios are possible:

*He followed her in the car, as seen on video, and then anticipated where she would be running, drove to a location ahead of her and then got out of the car and waited for her. Then he "ran alongside" her or chased her.

* Or, as someone mentioned on a previous thread, perhaps she was in the car but managed to get out on that isolated stretch, and then he "ran alongside" her or chased her.

I don't know if either of these is correct. As I've mentioned today, I'm trying to figure out how the abduction and murder happened - we don't have the full story yet.

jmo

This may have already been mentioned...so please forgive....but if CR was in some black out fugue state and he comes to while in his car, notices ear bud (s) in his lap....why would he then suddenly believe she’s in his trunk?
Just not the first thought I would expect after a black out....it makes me question his story.

Im really curious about this too. He seemingly went home right after to a house several workers shared, got into bed with his GF and went to sleep like nothing happened?
Do we know for sure he was living there? I read in one article that the owner said he wasn't living there at the time. Sorry, no link. I'm just curious if this has been cleared up.

This is true. There have been times during a longer run, or one that I'm speed training and just flat out exhausted, where I think I'd be screwed if I had to fight someone off or run away(still sad and infuriating that female runners have to think this way every moment we run alone outside) . I know adrenaline would kick in, but your body is still pushed to the max and exhausted during training runs sometimes. :(

I think his attorney is a private attorney retained by the family who is taking the case pro bono. The amount of publicity this small-time criminal defense attorney will get is invaluable. You can't pay for national marketing like that. That's what he's thinking.

Harmony Thanks for posting all the video's at the beginning of the new thread and Tricia thanks for all that you do..
As I am looking at this bucolic area of Brooklyn Iowa it is a place that you would NEVER think of such a horrible thing happening. Country, corn, rural, small town, church, football, 4-H and apple pie.
Just out for the usual jog, hardly any traffic, it's a rural area, most people know each other if not personally by sight. Something so usual turned into something so horrible. This could have been a young teen, a young mother pushing a baby carriage or even a young child.
We never know who, why or what and it is getting scarier everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ONF21772