IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm way behind here, just trying to catch up since yesterday's sad news. Forgive me if this has been discussed:

Who thinks this was his first "gig". One doesn't just wake up one day and commit such a violent crime.

So upset for Mollie and her family, she was just beginning her story and had so many more chapters to write. Rest easy Mollie, send strength to your surviving spirits.

Just my thoughts... what Rivera did was absolutely horrible and despicable. And it wasn’t until he was cornered by LE that he confessed, putting Mollie’s family, boyfriend and friends through weeks of needless false hope and agony over her disappearance.

But after that, Rivera didn’t deny his involvement whatsoever. For whatever reason, he was ready to get caught. There’s a hundred scenarios he could’ve fabricated to minimize his involvement....he saved her from a vicious attack but she was mortally injured, or he rescued her from the side of the road but couldn’t save her, scared he’d get blamed....

Instead he admitted to everything required to support the first degree murder charge. Did he actually black-out or did the investigator figuratively or literally black-out the rest of his story because the general public really doesn’t need to know the lurid details?

If a gag order is placed, we don’t know that Rivera may plead guilty and if so we may never know all the gory details. But that does not diminish the memory of Molly. I’d imagine her family would prefer it that way.

Gag order denied. This should be the lead imo.

"A Poweshiek District Court Judge on Wednesday denied the gag order request."

I hate to even link to the article because of the spin of the title but here goes...
Mollie Tibbetts’ accused killer is in Iowa legally, his lawyer says, calling Trump 'sad and sorry' for weighing in

What I also really want to know is how in the world did she not notice anything if she was living with him! I don't get it. She must have seen something. Blood, scratches, and all those other things LE told the public to look for.

Was she currently living with him? According to this, she was an ex-girlfriend. (FWIW, I take Daily Mail with a grain of salt)

Friend of murdered Mollie Tibbetts reveals chilling texts with Cristhian Rivera, Mollie's killer | Daily Mail Online
In the past, he told her he split up from his ex-girlfriend, the mother of his daughter, because she cheated on him.
He is pictured with his ex-girlfriend I.M., who was friend with Mollie on Facebook, and their young daughter

The owners of the farm where he worked said they have had over 100 threatening phone calls, some threatening to burn the farm down, some threatening to kill them and one call even told him he was going to kill his dog. OMG.
some people become absolute psychopaths when given the cloak of anonymity. absolutely insane

I'm way behind here, just trying to catch up since yesterday's sad news. Forgive me if this has been discussed:

Who thinks this was his first "gig". One doesn't just wake up one day and commit such a violent crime.

So upset for Mollie and her family, she was just beginning her story and had so many more chapters to write. Rest easy Mollie, send strength to your surviving spirits.
Well, he was working under a false name so we don't really know who he is. He's only 24 years old too. My guess is he is a rapist and has raped before. I don't know about murder tho. He confessed pretty quickly to murder so I kinda think it's his first murder. He did not confess to raping her to my knowledge but I think that was the plan to begin with.

I think his attorney is a private attorney retained by the family who is taking the case pro bono. The amount of publicity this small-time criminal defense attorney will get is invaluable. You can't pay for national marketing like that. That's what he's thinking.

So his target audience is illegal immigrants or murderers or sexual deviants right? If he thinks he is winning any points with the good people of Poweshiek county I think he is as delusional as his client!

And honestly I truly want to know if he approached CR or if someone in the family or LE or Courts reached out to him? Is there a way to know? Any contract he has with CR is a private contract.

Here is something I believe should be - if a person can afford a private attorney, then any expenses for that defense should be the burden of the defense. I don't want this guy to take a case pro bono and then submit request after request to the court for the court to pay for the part of the defense.

Could hat happen here?

Well, he was working under a false name so we don't really know who he is. He's only 24 years old too. My guess is he is a rapist and has raped before. I don't know about murder tho. He confessed pretty quickly to murder so I kinda think it's his first murder. He did not confess to raping her to my knowledge but I think that was the plan to begin with.

Do we know he is 24? HOW?

UPDATE: US official: No record Rivera has legal status
Unbelievable.
It is possible that the farm knows him by a different name with a SSN that wasn't him. The farm owner actually says this in the linked report above.
Edit to include employer presser:UPDATE: US official: No record Rivera has legal status
Edited again: this is the employer's pchttps://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/public-safety/watch-live-yarrabee-farms-holds-press-conference-on-cristhian-rivera-employment-20180822
Sorry!

Last edited:
Yes. I hurt for him and he will be missed.
The thread was so fast maybe I missed it. I don't know about other places on the internet so I'm new to the whole thing but from what I can see the mods do an amazing job putting a halt to that kind of thing very quickly. Hope it wasn't someone starting with s. I was telling my daughter about this site and she said, yeah well anyone can say anything on there, and I said Oh no they cant!!!

Just a tidbit:
According to Fox News, the Chevy Malibu that the suspect was driving, was not registered to him. The surveillance footage was unable to pick up a license plate, but the car had some unusual markings that made it identifiable.

Interesting - do you have a link? I am very curious whose car it was and who allowed him to drive it because since it was used in the commission of a crime could the owner be liable?

I think his attorney is a private attorney retained by the family who is taking the case pro bono. The amount of publicity this small-time criminal defense attorney will get is invaluable. You can't pay for national marketing like that. That's what he's thinking.

Thanks for explaining things and offering your insights and opinions, it's very helpful.

Good questions. Hard to believe he was running along side of her and she didn't widen the gap considering she's a trained runner. I think it's possible he passed her with his car, parked, got out of his car, hid, and ambushed her as she was jogging by.

Oh that’s a possibility I didn’t think of. Since we know the outcome probably wouldn’t change regardless of his approach, I hope he either ran her down with the car or ran up behind her and hit her with something and she was unconscious before she knew what was happening. I hope she didn’t die terrified.

I wonder what he did with Mollies mobile phone? Whether police have located it or whether it's still missing.
i also wonder if the fitbit was still on her wrist or if he took it off. Either way, wonder whether police have the exact time when the fitbit stopped recording her heart rate because that will help with the timeline and obviously exact time of death. at this point i'm not sure if the autopsy would be able to pinpoint a narrow time of death. They'd be able to get it close but probably something like between such and such window of time. So the fitbit data could be extremely important.

Hopefully it was his first, and fortunately, now it will be his last.

i also wonder if the fitbit was still on her wrist or if he took it off. Either way, wonder whether police have the exact time when the fitbit stopped recording her heart rate because that will help with the timeline and obviously exact time of death. at this point i'm not sure if the autopsy would be able to pinpoint a narrow time of death. They'd be able to get it close but probably something like between such and such window of time. So the fitbit data could be extremely important.
But wouldn't they have already known this?

The owners of the farm where he worked said they have had over 100 threatening phone calls, some threatening to burn the farm down, some threatening to kill them and one call even told him he was going to kill his dog. OMG.

I truly feel sorry for them. I can't go into specifics sufficed to say they were duped. Criminals do that - they use people to gain leverage, advance their position, and ultimately they care not a bit about anyone other than themselves.

I was wondering the same thing and as you said it has been 5 weeks. Or also he might have knocked her out right away or stunned her enough that she could not fight back.
If he had seen her before on her run, he could have planned to abduct her. If so, perhaps he had some type of weapon -- and that weapon could have been merely a block of wood or a wrench, etc. Certainly he was trying to be careful not to be seen or heard -- make it quick, then take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong