IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting - do you have a link? I am very curious whose car it was and who allowed him to drive it because since it was used in the commission of a crime could the owner be liable?
Mollie Tibbetts investigation: Chevy Malibu seen in surveillance video not registered to suspect Rivera, source says
The owner wouldn’t be liable as they would have been unaware that the car was being used in a crime. Even then I don’t think there’s a law that implicates owners, as accessory crimes (before and after) cover that, and that person has to be aware that a crime occurred or was going to occur.

I can't help but think that this isn't the first criminal act that Rivera has perpetrated. No prior record? Does a fine upstanding young man just wake up one day and decide to kidnap and murder a young girl? I have to wonder if, given the fact that he gave a bogus SS# to his employer, is his name even Rivera. This guy could be using an alias, and may only be able to be identified through DNA analysis. I have no doubt LE is on top of this. Time will tell

I think his attorney is a private attorney retained by the family who is taking the case pro bono. The amount of publicity this small-time criminal defense attorney will get is invaluable. You can't pay for national marketing like that. That's what he's thinking.
Might be bad publicity! Look what happened to Jodi Arias' s lawyer.

Just stopping in to check on the latest. Just watched the hearing today. I saw a picture of Mollie's mother from I think yesterday when she heard the news. She was wearing a blue blouse and looked on the verge of collapse. My heart goes out to this family and Dalton with this devastating news. How will they ever survive. Thinking too of Mollie's father and his long plane trip he will be making home soon. God bless them all.

Might be bad publicity! Look what happened to Jodi Arias' s lawyer.
That’s exactly the motivation. Jose Baez in the Casey Anthony case also comes to mind, but this is incredibly common, and has been a motivation practiced throughout the history of the U.S. justice system. Publicity pays.

Last edited:
His story is pure BS - unfortunately I don't think there is any question about that. He is trying to compartmentalize and separate himself from the actual act of murder to avoid internally taking responsibility. He remembers everything before and after the actual act of killing her but blocks out doing it so in his mind, he can't be held entirely responsible for it.

I don't think it is departmentalizing to avoid "internal" responsibility - I believe he knew he was responsible for her abduction and death (and whatever happened in between) and he just is floating something to try to wiggle free publicly and legally.

Was Mollie raped? I don't believe I've heard what actually happened to her. I'm asking because it would be pretty difficult to rape someone in a blackout. I just don't believe his blackout story. There are a lot of things that just don't make sense. Also he must have done this kind of thing before if he knew he put her in the trunk. Maybe the rest of them got away. The guy was young. Maybe a budding serial killer. It was definitely a crime of opportunity.

Clearly we have a murderer who snatched a 20 yr old off the streets who worked for a local company and used a different name on his papers to gain the position. SO the question is

WHO IS THIS GUY? Is his real name Rivera? Is he really from Mexico? Is there any IA or FED law to compell this man to furnish DNA for this case and it be entered in the FBI's database before August 31st his next court date?

Sexual deviants who hunt their prey have used jurisdictional boundaries and aliases to achieve their goals. And they routinely think they are smarter than LE and use every loophole in our criminal justice system to slither away with minimal costs to them.

Mollie's death suggests to me this man - he was 24 yrs old- was escalating. What he had done to others may be very difficult for LE to sort and Prosecutors to prove.

I am saddened we can't look at the loopholes he used to hide in plain sight in Brooklyn, IA.

His employer and community were duped by a criminal.

And I am truly angry right now his attorney is distorting facts of the case to try and confuse the public and possible jury pool.

As far as Allen Richard goes. I found another court case where he was the defendant. I was looking to see if he has done any 1st degree murder cases.

I am confused why he would take this case after applying for a position on the IA Courts which will be filled Sept 3rd. Has the decision be made? He was already notified he didn't get the job?

Anyone?

Right now I am just as curious about Allan Richard as I am about CR - or whoever he is!
https://www.iowacourts.gov/media/documents/0159_8814E6FDBE0B1.pdf
Great points. His name was spelled 2 different ways in different reports, as well.

Just a question for long time posters. After following little Lucas Hernandez and now sweet Mollie, do any cases have happy (or acceptable) endings? Do sad for everyone.......
No they don’t. The best we hope for is justice. But of course it doesn’t bring the victim back, so it’s a small measure of satisfaction at best. There’s no happy endings in cases like this, simply the silver lining that there will be no more people victimized by the captured perpetrator (hopefully).

I'm way behind here, just trying to catch up since yesterday's sad news. Forgive me if this has been discussed:

Who thinks this was his first "gig". One doesn't just wake up one day and commit such a violent crime.

So upset for Mollie and her family, she was just beginning her story and had so many more chapters to write. Rest easy Mollie, send strength to your surviving spirits.

I can't help but think that this isn't the first criminal act that Rivera has perpetrated. No prior record? Does a fine upstanding young man just wake up one day and decide to kidnap and murder a young girl? I have to wonder if, given the fact that he gave a bogus SS# to his employer, is his name even Rivera. This guy could be using an alias, and may only be able to be identified through DNA analysis. I have no doubt LE is on top of this. Time will tell

It sounds like he had been stalking her and planning something. Rape and murder? She apparently knew who he was- so could not get away with rape and let her live. Did he have some sort of imagined grudge? Did he think he was irresistible and that he could converse and "charm her" into something? It doesn't really sound happenstance- but like stalking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288