NC Home Invasion Murder Unsolved After Nine Years

boldera

Reaction score
Matthew Ryan Stewart, a 31 year old, married father of three, who lived in a quiet subdivision in Mooresville, NC. A graduate of both Mooresville High School and Mitchell Community College, he worked as a nurse at Lake Norman Regional Medical Center.

Around 40 minutes after midnight on June 9th, 2009, an intruder entered the Stewart's home, walked into the master bedroom, and began opening fire on Matt and his wife as they slept beside their one-year-old son. Matt's wife was shot once in the wrist, but ultimately escaped the house with their son, and ran across the street to a neighbor's house to call 911. The official 911 log indicates police arrived at the scene at 12:49am, but did not enter the Stewart’s home until 2:30am, allegedly, due to fear of a hostage situation. Upon entering the home, law enforcement found Matt Stewart, dead in the master bathroom, having been shot and stabbed multiple times. The Stewart’s 3 year old daughter was found in the house, unharmed. According to numerous accounts, the 3 year old slept through the entire incident. There was no sign of forced entry or valuables taken. The NC State Bureau of Investigation arrived at the scene that day and have maintained an open investigation on this case, along with Mooresville Police Department.

Weeks later, police released a facial composite sketch of Matt’s attacker. A sizable reward was offered to the public from the family, law enforcement, and the governor's office, in exchange for information that could lead to the capture of Matt’s killer.

In 2016, Stewart’s widow gave a brief account of her experience in a youtube video entitled Angel’s Story:
Police Sketch of Suspect
After nine years, police have yet to name a suspect or give any indication that progress has been made in the investigation. In the media, the story virtually disappeared in the years after the murder, only resurfacing in 2018 with the release of a documentary podcast series, "UNFORGOTTEN : The Unsolved Murder of Matt Stewart"

Well, my mind goes in only one direction when I read no forced entry, nothing taken and minor wounds to one person vs. fatal wounds to another. But I am incredibly skeptical and jaded - so don't mind me over in the corner here...

I agree with meanmaryjean.

Nice little podcast. 'Wonderful light you're shining on a case that's been "in the dark" too long. And, maybe it's not too late to find the truth.

I realize religious aspects are a part of Matt's community as well as a central part of his life. But, I struggled when listening to the religious "opinions" shared by some of the friends and family interviewed. (but that's just me... so I will find my own corner to occupy :))

From wbtv report 2009

"The police chief told WBTV this is a very strange case and his detectives are putting all of their resources into trying to find the killer."

Police perplexed by Mooresville murder - | WBTV Charlotte

Is the same police chief still chief??

Hello all, 1st time here. I def think the wife hired a hit man to kill husband. Don't make sense that she got out with a minor injury, and the baby with her. Nothing stolen, quick murder, in and out. Trace the money, her bank accounts, money gram, western union trades for the week prior and after in her area, police dropped the ball or it is a cop who did this hit.

Hello all, 1st time here. I def think the wife hired a hit man to kill husband. Don't make sense that she got out with a minor injury, and the baby with her. Nothing stolen, quick murder, in and out. Trace the money, her bank accounts, money gram, western union trades for the week prior and after in her area, police dropped the ball or it is a cop who did this hit.

Hi NYC, welcome to Websleuths!

I hadn’t thought about a cop commiting the murder.

You’re welcome to check out/follow/comment the WS thread for this case. I’ve requested a mod consider combining these two per the site’s ToS, so this one might move or merge soon.

NC - NC - Matthew Stewart, 31, Mooresville, 9 June 2009

I agree with meanmaryjean.

Nice little podcast. 'Wonderful light you're shining on a case that's been "in the dark" too long. And, maybe it's not too late to find the truth.

I realize religious aspects are a part of Matt's community as well as a central part of his life. But, I struggled when listening to the religious "opinions" shared by some of the friends and family interviewed. (but that's just me... so I will find my own corner to occupy :))

From wbtv report 2009

"The police chief told WBTV this is a very strange case and his detectives are putting all of their resources into trying to find the killer."

Police perplexed by Mooresville murder - | WBTV Charlotte

Is the same police chief still chief??

Chief Carl Robbins retired in 2015. At the time of Matt Murder, Chief Robbins had only just taken the role. Mooresville police chief retiring Dec. 1 after 21 years on the force

Maybe he tried to solve this?? Maybe the police dept needed more resources?? I will be listening to the podcast for more details :)

There are different schools of thought on that. The official line is that Mooresville PD tried there darndest to solve this and continue trying to this day, it remains an open investigation.

Some in the community believe the investigation has been inactive for some time, and/or that it was never wholeheartedly or professionally conducted from the very beginning...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back