CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoGirl

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think she’s a horrible mom. Just bc there’s one video of the kid crying doesn’t make her one. Kids/ toddlers cry all the time. She loved her kids. It is obvious. My kids go to the same preschool her kids go to in a different state. I’m surprised the school didn’t call home to check where they were. Seeing her fbook videos, esp the one of him doing Baby’s hair, it is so very hard to fathom that he could strangle them. Maybe he did just snap that weekend with his poorly planned murders.

Curious. Is there a known cause to the recent explosion at his work? Could he have had anything to do with it? Messing around with the tanks in preparation for the disposal of his family, perhaps? Thinking out loud.

There was a natural gas explosion in Firestone, CO in April 2107 that killed two people.

That was traced to non-odorized natural gas that had leaked into the ground from an old buried pipe that was damaged during construction, but no one had known it was there. It's about 70 miles from the oil well he placed the bodies in, well CERVI 319.

Anadanko did shut down gas lines and wells for a while, but there is really nothing to link well CERVI 319 with that explosion and there is no reason to think CW was involved with any of that

Not to be super morbid, but I was re-reading the affidavit and it says chris 'identified three separate locations in which he placed the bodies'. We know Shanann was buried in a shallow grave next to the tanks, so I took this to mean he dumped the girls in separate tanks. Could the tanks have been fuller than he expected, so he was unable to place Shannan into one? Instead opting for the shallow grave?

Re: Gas can in truck (from prior thread)

Two reasons come to mind:

1. You would use gas to remove oil stains from the tank lids or sides if you spilled any, and you could also use it to remove oil from your clothes and hands. Not pleasant, but it would work faster than any other option available.

2. Maybe his truck was low on gas and he didn't want to risk having to fill-up with 3 dead bodies in the truck.

Not to be super morbid, but I was re-reading the affidavit and it says chris 'identified three separate locations in which he placed the bodies'. We know Shanann was buried in a shallow grave next to the tanks, so I took this to mean he dumped the girls in separate tanks. Could the tanks have been fuller than he expected, so he was unable to place Shannan into one? Instead opting for the shallow grave?

We'll have to see how he testifies to that. It's plausible

Sorry for the length of this post, but I think it's important to understand the Watts' current financial situation from the public info. we have, and discuss how that plays into CW's motive. While I don't think their financial stressors were the only motive, I do think it played an important part, especially in the timing of the crime.

The Watts declared Ch 7 Bankruptcy in 2015. At that time, their combined income as around $90,000/year (CW earned around 65,000 as a field operator & SW was earning $18/hour at a call center).

They listed $448,820 in debt in their filing. This consisted of student loan debt (not discharged by BK), department store credit cards (Babies R Us, Nordstrom, Macy's), numerous medical bills, an $18,968 loan to Sharonview Credit Union, AS WELL AS the $400,000 house they purchased on Saratoga Trail in CO with an FHA loan in 2013.

Note: FHA loans are for low-income buyers & it allows them to borrow $ for a house they otherwise could not afford.

Records confirm they bought the house in 2013 from the builder for $399,954. The FHA loan was for $392,702. This confirms that there was very little down payment made, which disproves the theory that CW used SW for the money she got from the sale of her NC house from her first marriage. What if SW was already struggling with debt? What if she used the sale of her first house to try to pay down debt, which only bought her some more time? Once they purchased this CO home, which was way out of their league, they were quickly again under water financially.

So, here they are, married in 2012, with this big, expensive house by 2013, lots of existing debt, and a mortgage over $3,000/month PLUS an extremely high monthly mortgage premium due to FHA loan. They have their first child in 2015. They also declare bankruptcy that year. At the time they filed, they had $10 in their savings accounts, and $860 in their checking account.

In a Ch 7 Bankruptcy in CO, the only way to hold on to an asset like a house is to reaffirm the debt by bringing it to current. I'm assuming, based on their listed income at the time, that they were behind on their house payments before choosing to file for BK. I don't see how they could have been paying a $3,000 mortgage or bring it to current at the time of their filing with $870 TOTAL in their bank accounts.

Based on all of this info,. I think we can most likely conclude that they were losing their house. In addition, their HOA was suing them for several years of unpaid homeowners' dues. Their court date was to be this Friday, 8/24.

IMO they weren't paying HOA dues because they were losing the house & the dues would be paid through a lien by the bank upon sale.

So...knowing all of this info, I ask you: What if CW was about appearances just as much as SW was?
How would they explain this to friends and neighbors who believed their lifestyle was THRIVING?
Did CW resent SW for what he may have viewed as her culpability in their financial ruin?

Would love to hear your thoughts, sluethers!

Last edited:
Sorry for the length of this post, but I think it's important to understand the Watts' current financial situation from the public info. we have and discuss how that plays into CW's motive. While I don't think their financial stressors were the only motive, I do think it played an important part, especially in the timing of the crime.

The Watts declared Ch 7 Bankruptcy in 2015. At that time, their combined income as around $90,000/year (CW earned around 65,000 as a field operator & SW was earning $18/hour at a call center).

They listed $448,820 in debt in their filing. This consisted of student loan debt (not discharged by BK), department store credit cards (Babies R Us, Nordstrom, Macy's), numerous medical bills, an $18,968 loan to Sharonview Credit Union, AS WELL AS the $400,000 house they purchased on Saratoga Trail in CO with an FHA loan in 2013.

Note: FHA loans are for low-income buyers & it allows them to borrow $ for a house they otherwise could not afford.

Records confirm they bought the house in 2013 from the builder for $399,954. The FHA loan was for $392,702. This confirms that there was very little down payment made, which disproves the theory that CW used SW for the money she got from the sale of her NC house from her first marriage. What if SW was already struggling with debt? What if she used the sale of her first house to try to pay down debt, which only bought her some more time? Once they purchased this CO home, which was way out of their league, they were quickly again under water financially.

So, here they are, married in 2012, with this big, expensive house by 2013, lots of existing debt, and a mortgage over $3,000/month plus an extremely high monthly mortgage premium due to FHA loan. They have their first child in 2015. They also declare bankruptcy that year. At the time they filed, they had $10 in their savings accounts, and $860 in their checking account.

In a Ch 7 Bankruptcy in CO, the only way to hold on to an asset like a house is to reaffirm the debt by bringing it to current. I'm assuming, based on their listed income at the time, that they were behind on their house payments before choosing to file for BK. I don't see how they could have been paying a $3,000 mortgage or bring it to current at the time of their filing with $870 TOTAL in their bank accounts.

Based on all of this info,. I think we can most likely conclude that they were losing their house. In addition, their HOA was suing them for several years of unpaid homeowners' dues. Their court date was to be this Friday, 8/24.

IMO they weren't paying HOA dues because they were losing the house & the dues would be paid through a lien by the bank upon sale.

So...knowing all of this info, I ask you: What if CW as about appearances just as much as SW was?
How would they explain this to friends and neighbors who believed their lifestyle was THRIVING?
Did CW resent SW for what he may have viewed as her culpability in their financial ruin?

Would love to hear your thoughts, sluethers!

Or it could have been a "We're losing the house, I'm leaving with someone else" conversation and she snapped.

There was a natural gas explosion in Firestone, CO in April 2107 that killed two people.

That was traced to non-odorized natural gas that had leaked into the ground from an old buried pipe that was damaged during construction, but no one had known it was there. It's about 70 miles from the oil well he placed the bodies in, well CERVI 319.

Anadanko did shut down gas lines and wells for a while, but there is really nothing to link well CERVI 319 with that explosion and there is no reason to think CW was involved with any of that

Herat, you're very informed about this! Where exactly are the wells where the victims were found? 70 miles from Firestone is very far away from Frederick. Is it way out east? What's the closest town?

Why did he tell LE where the children’s bodies were so quickly after ‘confessing’? He was already shafted so witholding this info a bit longer to compromise evidence further wouldn’t impact his sentence. Just trying to figure out whether he felt any emotion in relation to his children. As horrific as his crime is, I’m undecided whether or not he cared about them.

IMO, this photo indicates that Chris was planning the murders the week before, and perhaps he even "groomed" the girls to get into the killing position as a form of play, lying down covered by a blanket so they couldn't squirm away and he didn't have to see their faces.

0_Chilling-final-photo-Chris-Watts-pregnant-wife-took-of-their-childrens-barbie-doll.jpg

And my children pull off their barbies heads. That doesn't mean i'm going to decapitate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member