IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m worried about what LE is going to find in a deep background on him. They had a very few hours prior to the press conference. And my guess is someone will travel to Mexico to learn more. His home is very rural. 46% of houses have dirt floors and little sanitary facilities. No real school for children.

Given that they have a confession and a body, I have no reason to believe that LE will bother looking for any deep background information.

This reminds me. In every case, I try to remember and learn things from them, and maybe apply them in other cases to help save/find the next one. I would like to hear from different members if there’s anything in particular you have learned here from Mollie’s case. Tia.
Great post! (You tend to have many great posts, btw!)

I also like to learn something on cases. There are many lessons in this case to consider, but the one that pops out to me instantly is don't post rumors. The WS rules were proven right in this case. I used to feel sort of bad when asking people for links, but no more.

Link it.

jmo

There is a lot of corn out there, a lot of fields. I don't think that this individual corn field, 12 miles outside of Brooklyn, was searched. Nor did I get this impression from the last LE PC. Please (someone) show a link that definitely shows otherwise!

No offense meant to you Ms Betsy, just a shout out for clarification.

I believe that the DCI guy said at the PC that they had searched "in this area". I didn't take that to mean that they had searched that particular field row by row.

Can someone please explain the issue that keeps coming up about the tie and why people are offended about it? It’s a bit tacky for court (IMO) but I’m not sure what it has to do with the case? Thanks!
It isn't something I've put a lot of thought into, but my first guess is the stars and stripes tie represents the fact that in this country, people have a right to a fair trial.

The duty of the court translator is to translate between the defendant and the judge. She is employed by the state.

The other translator is on hand to facilitate communication between the defendant and his lawyer in the event that the defendant doesn't understand the what the consequences of his answers will be. For instance, when he conferred with the lawyer about whether or not to waive the pre-trial hearing. It wouldn't be proper for the court translator to be privy to those conversations.
Thanks

I’ve honestly never seen two translators during a trial

I know we don't have an exact date on when the body was placed, but I think the basic assumption is July 18th correct? (I wouldn't be surprised if we found out he drove around with her in the trunk slightly longer), but lets just say she had been in that cornfield from July 18th. If they did search there before I am surprised they didn't find it because at that point the body would be there for a month and have all kinds of odors making it an obvious find.

I believe they said she was taken on 300th something street, but the body was put on 400th something street.
It is surprising, especially the odor. Would a bunch of cornstalks cover it up? Doesn't seem likely.

Fox News has been showing the exact area Mollie was found

I can’t find a link yet but it’s on tv.

It is very close to what looks like a road between corn fields, the spot has been all cut back

Totally Agree.

There is a name for them "Novelty Ties" and in a professional work environment they are typically not worn and some companies even have rules against them.

You cant get more professional setting than a courtroom.

So yes it stood out and it was for a message.

Reminds me of my cousin Vinny and the need to dress professionally lol

This reminds me. In every case, I try to remember and learn things from them, and maybe apply them in other cases to help save/find the next one. I would like to hear from different members if there’s anything in particular you have learned here from Mollie’s case. Tia.
This is my first time following a case, so I have a lot to learn.

Firstly, coincidences (MT staying alone, co-op camera being out, etc) are sometimes just coincidences.

Secondly, maps are extremely valuable for LE.

Thirdly, keep an open mind.

It is surprising, especially the odor. Would a bunch of cornstalks cover it up? Doesn't seem likely.
This reminds me when following the caylee anthony case the smell of decomposition in the trunk and how it was described. My understanding from my first responder friends is that it is overpowering when near it. I do wonder if there was any residual smell this late? I hate typing that - poor Mollie.

I think there was quite a bit of storming at that time. The smell would only be noticeable if you were out of your car and near her body, which being on a remote road in the field I doubt you would even notice.

It is also fertilizing time, so that smell would greatly mask this one.

Other than checking his DNA against databank, and possibly his whereabouts since arriving in the US...what else would the prosecution possibly need to know about him? He is facing life without parole. Defense can delve into his past for “reasons” and mitigation to their heart’s content.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288