IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL
I first could not remember what they were called until I remembered "Novelty Ties". One of my prior companies had strict rules about them.

When you google "Novelty Ties" look up in top right hand corner. A similar tie to what the laywer had on is right there. LOL
Its strategy. Perhaps the lawyer has his own personal agenda for his own personal gain. Big case = bigger exposure for the defense.

Even if the confession is inadmissible, he was the last person to see her on camera and brought LE to her concealed body. It doesn't really take a legal genius to make an argument that he's responsible.

The best I think you can do in this situation is try to create reasonable doubt whether it was intentional or an accident and get the charges down from first degree murder. This is not a sympathetic defendant, and if there is DNA evidence on the body or they get that confession in he's done. JMO

I'm really hoping for DNA or physical evidence. Something concrete to seal the deal!!!

I appreciate your explanation but how does that insure communications remain private and confidential?

I’m not understanding you.

TIA

The translator speaking to the judge is working for the court. The 2nd translator, seated between CR and his attorney, is working for CR's legal team to translate between CR and his attorney ONLY. She may well be a bilingual paralegal or attorney from the defence' s office. Especially, if this attorney sees a lot of Latino clients, and there is a high density of Latinos in area around defence attorney's office.

Can someone with legal background answer a quick question for me?

There was an earlier link to the Defense's gag order request. Several of the reasons for the request were backed by the fact that the employer stated that CR is here legally. It seems that new indications and claims from the employer no longer back that claim.

Since the facts from the employer no longer reflect the Defense lawyer's statements, does that mean the request is automatically dismissed, or has to be resubmitted?

Attorneys in criminal court sometimes dress differently (more polished) for trial than any sort of preliminary hearing. Messy, rumpled clothes, garish ties, beat up shoes or even snow boots in the winter - it’s not like what you see on tv for big trials. Federal court attorneys can look more professional, but run of the mill misdemeanors and felonies have a lot of attorneys in sloppy clothing. It’s a criminal law thing, I think. The civil attorneys tended to look more put together in my area. I don’t find the tie all that remarkable or intended to send a message. He’s just another attorney who likes tacky ties - they are a dime a dozen in courthouses across the country.

seems to me the easiest way to understand the two interpretator part is that one belongs to the court and one belongs to the attorney I know belongs to isn't proper way to put it but it makes it simpler to understand. the court one is there for the court. the second one is there for the attorney and at the attorney and or client expense, that one isn't going to speak in open court.
Right, but the second one may also be used to explain to the defendent in his own language. Not during court proceedings, but maybe present during meetings with lawyer and client. Not sure if this is the case, but it would be needed unless the lawyer speaks fluent Spanish.

WATCH: Retracing Steps of Mollie Tibbetts on Street Where She Was Last Seen Alive

On "Fox & Friends" Thursday, former homicide investigator Ted Williams retraced the steps of Mollie Tibbetts from the early-evening jog during which she was fatally attacked.

Williams showed viewers the Brooklyn, Iowa, neighborhood where the 20-year-old University of Iowa was last seen alive.

Video at link
It seems like the undercurrent here is that the abduction was brazen. It was done during the day in a residential neighborhood. It had to be swift, planned and it makes you wonder how much practice he had in doing this. It's like he was looking for the better high by making it more difficult, instead of at night on a deserted stretch of road he did it during the day in a residential neighborhood. That made it a challenge for him.

Even if the confession is inadmissible, he was the last person to see her on camera and brought LE to her concealed body. It doesn't really take a legal genius to make an argument that he's responsible.

The best I think you can do in this situation is try to create reasonable doubt whether it was intentional or an accident and get the charges down from first degree murder. This is not a sympathetic defendant, and if there is DNA evidence on the body or they get that confession in he's done. JMO
Question - they say it's premeditated. I looked up Iowa's statute and didn't see a detailed definition of that (my understanding is that some states define that differently...or at least, that it doesn't necessarily mean planned over time). Is this charge (likely) based on his story so far, despite the huge gap and lack of info on what he actually did, or might it also include what they saw when they found her? Or other evidence. I'm asking because I would hate to see a lesser charge and I wonder what they have to do to hang onto their first degree in the face of a defense that he didn't intend her death and then got scared or had a lights out moment or whatever.

In my view, he is neither a victim because English is his second language, nor is he likely to fully understand the legal language that's determining the course of his fate without translation.

It is my opinion that most English-speaking, natural-born Americans don't have the vocabulary nor background to fully understand being in a legal situation of this magnitude.

While we are all waiting for the autopsy and other facts to be known, I just wanted to point out that in my opinion, most of us were pretty far off in our theories in this case. Part of what threw it off for me was the idea that everyone knows everyone in this town. This does not apply to ghosts and we all need to consider that in future theories.

I notice a lot of the media have reprinted the family statement sourced from IDPS but not this: “An autopsy is being conducted, but results will not be available immediately”.

Whatever that means, it could be awhile.

upload_2018-8-23_12-22-9.jpeg

Twitter

Last edited:
It seems like the undercurrent here is that the abduction was brazen. It was done during the day in a residential neighborhood. It had to be swift, planned and it makes you wonder how much practice he had in doing this. It's like he was looking for the better high by making it more difficult, instead of at night on a deserted stretch of road he did it during the day in a residential neighborhood. That made it a challenge for him.

I think he done it during the day light hours because he wanted HER not just anyone and she didn't run during the dark hours.

Well, he declined a court appointed attorney because he already had an attorney.

(And no--we don't know how that attorney is getting paid. I don't really think we have any right to know that, do we?)

Yeah, but inquiring minds want to know. AND, as they say, "follow the money", as you can never tell where it will lead!

I think he done it during the day light hours because he wanted HER not just anyone and she didn't run during the dark hours.
Buggers, just when I think I have a few brain cells working someone comes along and says something that makes much more sense. :) Yes that sounds much more plausible.

There is a lot of corn out there, a lot of fields. I don't think that this individual corn field, 12 miles outside of Brooklyn, was searched. Nor did I get this impression from the last LE PC. Please (someone) show a link that definitely shows otherwise!

No offense meant to you Ms Betsy, just a shout out for clarification.
Yes, I understand! I would like that clarification too. The cornfields in that area sound a lot bigger than the ones we have around here, in NY. I really have no concept of how vast they may be, except in my imagination.

The road (385th Ave) she elected to turn onto is fairly rural. There has been some confusion as to where she was actually abducted (intersection of Boundary and Middle) and if something else significant happened at the 1900 block of East 385th. That video from Fox reports the abduction occurred on that road though.

Last edited:
Although I want to see this guy locked up with the key thrown down the drain, I definitely agree with his right to counsel and a translator. I think about me and the people I love-what if THEY were in a foreign country and arrested for a crime? I'd definitely hope that they had a translator. I could only imagine getting arrested in Thailand (ha, BROKEDOWN PALACE) or Russia and sitting through my trial without being able to understand what they were saying about me or to me. On a personal level, I could care less what happens to him as long as he is locked up. On a legal level, however, I think it's really important to do things by the book because one day that book might be thrown at me or someone I love. The fact that we have the right to a fair trial is huge and definitely not universal. If we didn't do that for him then it could set a precedent for everyone. I have very heated thoughts about CR but I do believe in reciprocity. This kind of thing not only gives him a fair trial (which, like it or not, is his right), but it also helps protect LE's hiney and the case in general. Without the translator he could always go back and say, "I didn't confess. I didn't understand their questions." And a jury could actually buy that just enough to find reasonable doubt. Now THAT is frightening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle