FL - Multiple Fatalities at Mass Shooting at Madden Gaming Tournament, Jacksonville, 26 Aug 2018

<modsnip: snipped quote that was removed>

My daughter is a gamer. She has 2 Bachelor's degrees, works full time. and is working on her Master's degree before she decides if she wants to get her PhD or go to law school. Her gamer friends are much the same way.

In my experience, the gaming community in general is composed of intelligent, supportive, and very ambitious young men and women.

JMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the qualification matches for the actual tournament to be held later.
So this guy didn't even make it to the tournament itself and still killed people.
Some gamers have been swatting other online players. And this guy went above and beyond.
Too much anger for guys that just sit in their mammas house all day and play games. :(

I'm still working on how exactly this sort of thing benefits society as a whole.

But here are two interesting article at MLO that I recommend everyone read:

‘Gaming Disorder’ recognized as worldwide mental health condition - MLO

WHO releases new International Classification of Diseases (ICD 11) - MLO

I'm still working on how exactly this sort of thing benefits society as a whole.

I think there is a difference, between being a professional gamer and being addicted to gaming. Just like there are differences between a professional eater and being addicted to eating. Humans can get addicted to anything....

Also, it's the same as asking, "What is the benefit of any sport to society?" Usually the answer is entertainment, at least when it comes to tournaments and professionals.

I think there is a difference, between being a professional gamer and being addicted to gaming. Just like there are differences between a professional eater and being addicted to eating. Humans can get addicted to anything....

Also, it's the same as asking, "What is the benefit of any sport to society?" Usually the answer is entertainment, at least when it comes to tournaments and professionals.
Or being a professional gambler and a gambling addict.

Well said.

I think there is a difference, between being a professional gamer and being addicted to gaming. Just like there are differences between a professional eater and being addicted to eating.

What an interesting choice for making a comparison. ...

Inside the disturbing dangers of competitive eating

The training and competitions not only can cause gastric ruptures and drop sodium levels to dangerously low levels that might lead to seizures but also can trigger eating disorders, said Kim Dennis, an eating disorder expert from Chicago.

"Putting all of the health risks aside, there are certainly some psychological or psychiatric risks with regards to development of an eating disorder for people who had any sort of genetic predisposition to have one," said Dennis, a board-certified psychiatrist. "Somebody eating 70 hot dogs in 10 minutes is self-abuse to some extent."

BBM

By George, that's the best answer I've heard so far. For real. Thanks! :D

That's like asking how TV benefits society. Or how books benefit society. Entertainment and creativity. I personally have been pulled out of dark places mentally by hopping onto Twitch or Youtube and watching streams and videos from my favourite gamers.
Plus, many gaming communities do charity streams. Things like Good Games Done Quick and the Christmas Yogmas raise millions every year.

The training and competitions not only can cause gastric ruptures and drop sodium levels to dangerously low levels that might lead to seizures but also can trigger eating disorders, said Kim Dennis, an eating disorder expert from Chicago.

"Putting all of the health risks aside, there are certainly some psychological or psychiatric risks with regards to development of an eating disorder for people who had any sort of genetic predisposition to have one," said Dennis, a board-certified psychiatrist. "Somebody eating 70 hot dogs in 10 minutes is self-abuse to some extent."

XD Bad example I suppose! I was just typing off the top of my head! :D

Ive seen video of David katz in the past on twitch. He went by the username bread when I watched him. Always was very quiet and very serious when he played, never took too kind to trash talking. He was good enough to win a regional tournament in 2017, but imo was kind of an outcast in the professional madden gaming world bc of his lack of social skills. I personally think he was just a ticking time bomb. MOO

Last edited:
BBM

By George, that's the best answer I've heard so far. For real. Thanks! :D

This site that was live-streaming the tournament - Twitch - this is their main "programming," you could say. It was bought by Amazon a few years ago for $970 million.

Most of the "channels" are simply people who are sitting in their homes playing video games, and people watch them. Of course, you only get really famous on this site if you really work on being a good "personality" for people to watch, you have a regular schedule of what days/times you play games, certain games do better than others, you need to have high quality content/lighting/cameras/graphics/etc. There are some people on that site that make good money, but it's very rare to become a "full-time video gaming streamer." It's just all for the sake of entertainment. My boyfriend and I watch this on our TV, we don't even have regular cable. We watch people play video games instead.

They do have other channels (called the "IRL section," which means In Real Life) where people can also stream themselves doing whatever - painting, fishing, hiking, etc. But it's mostly video games.

OK I just learned something new - there is a Major League Eating, they do the hot dog, pizza, etc competitive eating.

Major League Eating & International Federation of Competitive Eating

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back