ME ME - Cathy Moulton, 16, Portland, 24 Sept 1971

Hi Alleykins, My understanding is that she was known to have been picked up by Lester Everett in Portland, and that somewhere along the way they were joined by Reid Perley. The police already know this much. I can't really help with the case as what I know is second hand and much of it I'm sure the police know, like Perley's arrest record for example.

There are also some huge jurisdictional issues, like the fact that she is missing from the US but possibly taken across the border. And the fact that it's First Nations land means that even Canadian police (RCMP) don't have jurisdiction there. They may also suspect that her body is on Tobique but have no way of getting a warrant to search for her.

Thank you for clarifying. I missed the whole RP connection, and I've heard about jurisdiction on tribal lands on other cases.
I wish they would make it easier for the RCMP and authorities in neighboring states to exchange information. Up until the 911 tragedy it was easy to cross the border, so I suspect there are quite a few missing people from both countries that could be on either side.

Oh I am sure that the Canadian authorities would cooperate in any way possible and already have. I know I have heard that the US police investigating Cathy's disappearance have questioned RP, but came away with nothing. He denied ever meeting her, and then said on advice of his attorney he wasn't going to say anything else. Even so, it's much more difficult going through proper channels, an extra layer of bureaucracy, not to mention possible political ramifications. If the police had a tip that Cathy was seen talking to Mr XYZ, a maine resident, they would have no problem showing up to his home and simply asking their questions. That tip could be rumor, a gut feeling, or a cop's hunch. Meanwhile, if Mr XYZ is a Canadian resident, that tip better be rock solid with some evidence backing it, and then the investigating officer gets to jump through those procedural and diplomatic hoops to get an interview.

I also believe that the reserve would cooperate in this investigation if there was some solid evidence, that's why I hope her body is found. You can't get much more solid evidence than that. We have very little trust or confidence in the authorities in general, so there wouldn't be any random fishing expeditions where they could just harass our people allowed. But we also don't want to live amongst murderers.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.true-crime/W2nhYmjBnS4

THIS IS A REPLY ON GOOGLE GROUP FORUM ABOUT CATHY MOULTON THAT I FOUND VERY STRANGE.... THIS MAN'S ANSWER IS NORMAL EXCEPT FOR ONE THING ON THE END OF HIS MESSAGE.........

Homeless Capital of the U.S.

02-08-01

What a tragedy. I hope the person who did this confesses and tells what he did
with the body if he gets some terminal disease. It's impossible to comprehend
how someone can kill a young person who had 65-70 more years to live just for
sex
(Too bad Maine doesn't have a death penalty.)
Dogs & children first.

IS HE TALKING ABOUT THAT SHE WAS KILLED FOR SEX...... THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HEAR OR READ ABOUT SHE'S BEING KILLED FOR SEX.... DOES THIS MAN KNOW MORE???????? (I mean ... could he know how it happened, when , why or was he the killer?????) It's seems odd to me saying that NOWHERE is mentioned that she's 1: KILLED or 2: KILLED FOR SEX
It creeps me out......

It's probably just an assumption.

Yeah ... probably... You start to 'see' things if you're caught up in case... sorry for that.

Another question here:

In a radio interview her dad said that he drove her straight to the corner of Cumberland & Forest (NET&T). In some articles they mention the psychic and people who witnessed Cathy got into a car with two men on the corner of Park Str & Forest.
She also went to a music store called 'Starbird Music' (that's on her way home)

It seems odd to me that the two men picked her up at that corner because the music store is halfway to her house (up North). When her dad dropped her off they passed the music store but they didn't stop there, so she had to go to the shop on her way home. The Post Office (where the two men would pick her up) is 0.9 mile South from the store. So she had to go back from where she came from instead of just walking another 0.9 mile North to her house. It doesn't make sense.
The psychic said something about the two men and Cathy driving into Coyle Street or Lincoln Street when driving North on Forest Avenue. Maybe she was picked up near the music store. That would've made more sense.

Just thinking out loud here.... It's driving me crazy not to know what happened ....

I can't imagine how it would be for her parents and family.

Her Charley Project page states she stopped by the music store to see a friend. Maybe her friend wasn't working at the time her father drove her by there?
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/moulton_cathy.html
I wish I knew Portland better. I lived in Falmouth from 1989-1990/for a year and was there frequently, but mostly either to go to the airport, Hannaford (my friend worked at the Forest Av store) or the Old Port or the N. Deering section. I never went into any of the neighborhoods.

I wish they could retrace that hunter's steps again. Maybe it wasn't Cathy, but it was someone and they deserve to be found.

I agree, Alleykins. The hunter finding a body that might have been Cathy and then being unable to find it again is so frustrating.

I do wonder whether the remains were Cathy's. Other than the remains being found in Maine, the only other thing linking them to Cathy is this supposed sighting of her working in Aroostook County (where Smyrna is located) a few weeks after she disappeared. The clothes Cathy was wearing when she vanished were fairly non-descript (navy blue dress and coat, brown shoes) so I'm not sure if the female clothes around the remains would have been enough to link them to Cathy.

Still, even if they are not Cathy's remains, it's such a shame that there may be another family out there wondering what happened to their loved one who have missed out on a resolution.

I agree, Alleykins. The hunter finding a body that might have been Cathy and then being unable to find it again is so frustrating.

I do wonder whether the remains were Cathy's. Other than the remains being found in Maine, the only other thing linking them to Cathy is this supposed sighting of her working in Aroostook County (where Smyrna is located) a few weeks after she disappeared. The clothes Cathy was wearing when she vanished were fairly non-descript (navy blue dress and coat, brown shoes) so I'm not sure if the female clothes around the remains would have been enough to link them to Cathy.

Still, even if they are not Cathy's remains, it's such a shame that there may be another family out there wondering what happened to their loved one who have missed out on a resolution.

Agreed. I'm mystified that they couldn't find the remains. I'm not sure how thorough the search was, or if they used cadaver dogs or volunteers to help widen the perimeter. I will have to dig around and see what I can find.

From a 2001 article:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.true-crime/W2nhYmjBnS4

<SNIP>

Just over a year ago, the Moultons got a call from the National Center for
Missing and Exploited Children. The organization had landed a federal grant
aimed at revisiting old missing-children cases and asked the Moultons if they'd
like to include Cathy.

"Every little bit helps," her father said, staring at the Web site's old photo
of Cathy juxtaposed with one showing how she might look today. She'd be 46 — the
same age Lyman Moulton was the day he kissed her goodbye.

What would he say to parents who, like he did that day, find themselves at the
threshold of this never-ending nightmare?

Moulton thought for a moment.

"I would say, 'Do you still love her?' "

"Of course", they would reply.

"Then don't ever stop," Moulton said, a slight quiver in his voice.
"You have no reason at this point to think she doesn't love you, too."

BBM

Cathy, circa 1971
attachment.php
attachment.php

Cathy, Age Progression (to age 58) circa 2013:
attachment.php

Attachments

• moulton_cathy1.jpg
    moulton_cathy1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 65
  • moulton_cathy2.jpg
    moulton_cathy2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 63
  • moulton_cathy_ap.jpg
    moulton_cathy_ap.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 62
Why would she go with two men when she was to go home and get ready for the dance?
How could the hunter not get in the vicinity of where he last was at least?

Last edited:
I hope for a resolution in Cathy’s case. Her father passed away in 2017 at age 92 but her mother and siblings are still alive and hope to solve Cathy’s case.

Why would she go with two men when she was to go home and get ready for the dance?
How could the hunter not get in the vicinity of where was at least?

I can't answer the first question, only Cathy could if that's what happened.

For the second question, the Maine woods are vast, 90 % of our state is forest and its easy to get lost or not be able to retrace your steps. I've driven on backwoods roads before (there's a network of them between here and Canada owned by the paper companies) and couldn't find my way back out of them. If it weren't for following the telephone poles I'd have gotten lost for sure, and this was in a vehicle! It was the same maze of roads friends of mine from Jersey got lost in for 3 days. It's just as easy to get lost/turned around on foot. I'm not surprised the hunter couldn't lead authorities back to where he saw them. That's entirely possible unless they were spotted near something of note, like a tote road or natural formation.
Hiker who went missing on Appalachian trail survived 26 days before dying
ETA: I know getting lost in the woods is not the same as not being able to find a place you found in the woods, I'm just trying to point out how difficult it might be, based on experience

Yes And investigators only searched the woods for 3 days in 1983 because it started to snow. The tip was reinvesgiagted 21 years after the hunter allegedley stumbled upon the remains.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back