NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's similar because they both left at night and were picked up by strangers.
(presumably)

I see more differences than similarities between the two cases. Jacob was out in the evening with friends and there were witnesses to his abduction. Asha was allegedly out in the middle of the night, by herself, with no witnesses to the abduction. We also now know that Jacob was killed by a pedophile with a history of molesting boys.

I see more differences than similarities between the two cases. Jacob was out in the evening with friends and there were witnesses to his abduction. Asha was allegedly out in the middle of the night, by herself, with no witnesses to the abduction. We also now know that Jacob was killed by a pedophile with a history of molesting boys.
The cases aren't identical. It's just an example of how kids going out at night and meeting foul play from a stranger does happen.

I think there's 4 possibilities in this case, and I'll list them from most likely to least (IMO).

1. Asha's family is responsible for her disappearance. To me this is the only scenario that doesn't require all kinds of logical leaps of faith about why she left home that morning. The simple answer is she didn't. Whatever happened took place at home and the other evidence was staged to take attention away from home. I have pretty much no faith in the eyewitnesses until I hear more directly from them. Statistically speaking, young girls in Asha's age range that go missing do so because a family member has harmed them.

2. Asha was groomed, abducted and murdered. I definitely think she could have been in contact with someone older who had an agenda and carefully earned her trust. The person is almost certainly a local.

3. Asha ran away on an adventure and met with foul play from a stranger. Possible, but I think much less likely than the first two scenarios because 4 AM with 30 degree weather is extremely odd timing for an adventure.

4. Asha was abducted and sold to an underground adoption agency and may or may not still be living. Don't really buy this one but I've heard it floated out there. I think it's probably the only chance for Asha to still be alive.
Thank you for presenting these different scenarios of what could have happened to Asha. I have always believed #2. I do believe she was groomed by a teen or adult she knew through school, a friend, or sports. I don't think it was a coincidence she disappeared on Valentine's Day because I think she agreed to meet this person before school at a secret meeting place. It would be so characteristic of a pedophile to say, "we need to keep this a secret."

Just my 2¢.

Thank you for presenting these different scenarios of what could have happened to Asha. I have always believed #2. I do believe she was groomed by a teen or adult she knew through school, a friend, or sports. I don't think it was a coincidence she disappeared on Valentine's Day because I think she agreed to meet this person before school at a secret meeting place. It would be so characteristic of a pedophile to say, "we need to keep this a secret."

Just my 2¢.
Ita, this is what i think happened and because of that, there might be hope that Asha is alive. speculation, imo.

Ita, this is what i think happened and because of that, there might be hope that Asha is alive. speculation, imo.
I really do hold on to hope she is because of a few others being found after so many years. I just wish Asha would turn up soon. I can't imagine the pain her family is going through.

I remember her story clearly. It happened in a neighboring county. I don't believe her parents had anything to do with it. There was a great deal of effort and expense put into finding her on behalf of her family. Billboards all over multiple counties, they have never moved, just their palpable loss seems so sincere to me. This was way before internet and social media, so the expense they have incurred over the years to keep her story alive does not seem to fit with a family that wanted to remain out of the spotlight. I think it would be hard to stay in the same home, the same community, and try to keep something like that from unraveling and revealing something so evil. This is a predominately poor rural county. Secrets in these communities don't stay hidden very well, especially if there are constant reminders through the years. Just my opinion based on being a nearby witness over the years.

I am new to this case after stumbling upon it on another site. After several days reading I tend to lean toward either scenario 1 or 2 that justthinkjones1993 outlines in a previous post. With all of Asha's fears I just don't see her leaving on her own impulse. I do believe someone in the family or close to the family is involved. The highway sightings just aren't consistent or realistic to be accepted. With the weather as described a white mailbox post could have resembled a child on the side of the highway. Someone was grooming her for this to happen. I can see a 9 year old agreeing to a "photo shoot" with three different outfits for a anniversary or Valentines Day present for her parents. I keep hearing in my mind that line in "Silence of the Lambs" where Lecter reminds Starling of how we covet, "We begin by coveting what we see everyday".

One other question that I haven't seen answered is how did Asha know when to wake up? I don't recall seeing that she has an alarm clock in her room or wore a watch. I don't know many 9 year olds that can mentally set a wake up time and follow through. If she set an alarm wouldn't it have woken the brother or the parents? So who or what woke her up?

Her father and/or brother reported hearing her rolling over in her bed. Maybe she never went to sleep or maybe she awoke when Harold came in to check on them before going to bed.

That's the problem with this case. It's all "but what if" "maybe she" "she could have"
It's all speculation because there's almost nothing to go on.

I found some information on the wreck that caused the power outage the night Asha went missing. According to this the power went out a little before 9. It says the road conditions were wet and the weather was a category 2. I don't think that would be all that severe. I remember looking up the rainfall totals a few years back and it said .70 inches. That's not even three quarters. I believe that the weather conditions on this night have been exaggerated. It seems that the fact a severe storm passed through the area earlier that night has morphed into that it was stormy all night long. I have posted a link for the wreck info but could not find the rainfall totals for those dates again.

Fatal Accidents by County

True, but it could have still been windy and nasty out even if it wasn't actively raining hard.

Does anyone know the weather temperature that night? As someone from NC our February's can get pretty cold, like if it is going to snow here It's going to be January or February, and I live on the coastal side of NC (it doesn't snow very often here). I can say that a slight rain with wind is absolutely frigid in the winter months, especially without the proper clothing. This is coastal NC however, but I have been in Rural NC during winters and the cool air is very crisp.

Does anyone know the weather temperature that night? As someone from NC our February's can get pretty cold, like if it is going to snow here It's going to be January or February, and I live on the coastal side of NC (it doesn't snow very often here). I can say that a slight rain with wind is absolutely frigid in the winter months, especially without the proper clothing. This is coastal NC however, but I have been in Rural NC during winters and the cool air is very crisp.
I mean pretty cold for southern states. I just wanted to clarify that.

I'm thinking it was in the low 40s. That's pretty cold in the wet even if it wasn't raining. If you have ever walked down a wet roadside then you know how easy it is to get soaked from the knees down or higher depending on the growth.
That is if she was really walking the road. If not, then I guess it really doesn't matter because she wouldn't have been out in it.

MISSING SHELBY GIRL: Investigation ongoing for Cleveland County girl who vanished 18 years ago

While I appreciate the media and LE keeping her case publicized they could at least update and change the information for new articles. On the age progression picture the caption reads "Wednesday marks 18 years since Asha Degree vanished..." but we know it was Valentine's Day that she disappeared. Another quote from the article "A man in Burke County was clearing debris on a property 20 miles north of Burke County 1 ½ years ago. He found Asha’s book bag containing her clothes on Highway 18." The book bag was discovered a 1.5-2 years after she disappeared.

Accurate, factual reporting and attention to details could help solve cases. It took me three times viewing the entire article before I realized that the top video is updated but I also frequently skip embedded videos and just read the article to avoid blaring ads. I hope someone sees this article and it triggers a memory or hunch and it leads to finding this beautiful girl.

Our work to find Asha Degree doesn't stop. Today, we are making a new plea for assistance to help us find out what happened to "Shelby's sweetheart." Please watch the video and call us if you recognize the items of interest that might offer new clues to help #FindAsha

If you have any information regarding Asha's disappearance please contact the Cleveland County Sheriff's Office at 704-484-4822

Cleveland County Sheriff's Office

MISSING ASHA DEGREE: Authorities release photos of items that could help track down girl missing for 10 years
Asha%20Degree%20items_1539054261757.jpg_13272057_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Asha%20book_1539054602186.png_13272060_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members