Hurricane Florence - September 2018

I go outside during storms sometimes too. It can feel exhilarating. But not in a full-blown hurricane!

jmo

My late Significant Other said that one of the most impressive things she ever saw a trained dog do was during a hurricane in New Orleans.

As the eye of the storm passed over, people came out into the calm (but all knew that it was just a temporary reprieve). One guy came out with his dog, ordered it to do its "business", and the dog immediately releived itself so they could go back inside.

She insisted on training our big Catahoula Leopard Dog to do this: "Find a place, Now!" became part of his repertoire.

As did "Go to your room!" He was always shown a place that was his own private spot. That was his "room". One day, UPS came to the door, and Beau did his job, running into the front room, barking up a storm. I said "Go to your room!", and he immediately stopped barking and went back to his "room". The UPS driver was slack jawed, asking me: "How do you get him to do that, I can't even get my teenagers to do that!"

This is why Fur Babies are sometimes better than the smooth skinned kind. And even pets in New Orleans have to learn how to respect Hurricanes.

I had an alcoholic neighbor who had a female Border Collie that he dotted on, and they both lived on the ground floor of a 3 story apartment building. 2 days before an approaching hurricane, the dog disappeared. Running off was not something she was prone to do. He was inconsolable. After the storm passed we found the dog. She had gone to the third floor, and managed to get herself taken in by a kind woman medical student who lived there. Even dogs know when the high water is coming!

I would hope that the folks in the path of this storm are half as smart!

One of the Rules of the House of God (as taught to Medical Interns and Residents): "If you don't take a temperature, you can't find a fever."

In this case meaning that FEMA has found what is a good indicator of a community's status. If the Waffle House is closed, it IS the zombie apocalypse! The company has amazing logistics.
When they close, it IS time to leave town. And after MREs, Waffle House looks darned good.
Nightly Business News on PBS, just reported on this and showed a boarded up Waffle House in the path of H. Florence. Something you NEVER see.

(House Of God by Samuel Shem, M.D. - sexiest yes, but it was written 40 years ago, and is ROTFLMAO funny, and a still true look into the world of medical education set in Boston, MA of 1970)

Read the book, learn the Rules, and never look at your Doctor the same way Again!

These people better get to steppin’ and get the hell to safety. Do you see them trying to surf this? What a trip! Skip to the end for a minute. In lawn chairs like they’re waiting for the grill to cook up and tailgate this monster.

Have you ever heard of "The Darwin Awards"?

It is a tongue in cheek honor for those who have contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the human gene pool via death or sterilization by their own actions........

www.darwinawards.com

In South Carolina, this final act is usually preceded by the ritual phrase: "Hey, y'all watch this!" Playing in the surf, in the face of this storm, is a good start for the nominating process of this "coveted" award.

The web site is fascinating reading, like spending a summer at a major ER admit desk!

OK I just HAD to share this - "Storm Warning" by Mac Rebennack AKA the one and only Dr John of NOLA

Awesome song, MaryG! Love it - thanks for sharing! I'm bookmarking it to my music folder.

Good evening fellow hurricane watchers. Alas, I was fervently hoping we'd make it through this season without any major storms. Let us now hope and pray no lives are lost.

My daughters are riding it out in Myrtle Beach. Thanks for all of the updates everyone as I'm obviously watching this very closely. It's hard to be 1300 miles away knowing your babies getting dangerous weather.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07
Back