Hurricane Florence - September 2018

The U.S. Navy evacuated about 30 ships from Virginia several days ago to protect them from this hurricane.

This dude is coo-coo for cocoa puffs to try to ride out the storm in his boat. Although I do recall a couple of dudes down in Florida last year who road out Irma aboard their boat. They survived none the worse for the wear, so while it's a totally daft idea, it's not impossible.

I wish him a boatload of luck (ha!). He'll need it.

Thursday morning was "go time" at one Fayetteville nursing home. Bus after bus pulled up to evacuate some of the most vulnerable residents as Hurricane Florence approaches.

World War II Army veteran Roger Thornhill, 96, was among several dozen people taken to higher ground.

"I've been through all of them. This is the worst one yet," he said.

Meridian Senior Living's Kevin Carlin said a creek that runs just a few yards behind the building is the big worry.

Many of the elderly are coming to the Cumberland Village Assisted Living center. Cherie Redus is counting on this generator to keep the power going while the staff prepares for emotional needs, especially patients with dementia or Alzheimer's.

"They start feeling insecure. They start wondering what's going on. So our job is to help them feel safe," Redus said.
Nursing homes evacuate as Hurricane Florence fuels flooding fears

The U.S. Navy evacuated about 30 ships from Virginia several days ago to protect them from this hurricane.

This dude is coo-coo for cocoa puffs to try to ride out the storm in his boat. Although I do recall a couple of dudes down in Florida last year who road out Irma aboard their boat. They survived none the worse for the wear, so while it's a totally daft idea, it's not impossible.

I wish him a boatload of luck (ha!). He'll need it.

My nephew is on one of those ships. He was able to call briefly before they left port. Fun fact, the ship he is on was just used to film scenes for the new Topgun movie.

This guy is one of many that have decided to ride it out on their boats. Most of them are hunkered down in the intercoastal waterway boat/houseboat communities. If I lived on a houseboat, I would have been moving it!

Hey Everyone,

If you haven't started yet could members who are around the affected areas please check in on this thread when you can to let us know you are alright? I know it might not be for a few days but I hope everyone checks in. We have many members in the path of this ungodly storm.

Thanks for keeping this thread going. It warms my heart to see you all care for strangers so much.

Thank you.
Tricia

I would be projectile hurling if I was out at sea during a storm like this. Just watching the video gives me vertigo. A million moons ago, I lived in Tampa and went deep-sea fishing with a friend. I spent the entire time miserably seasick.

I guess I'm a hopeless landlubber. Land ho!

Ima - I tried to reply to your post with the above video, but it kept going wonky on me, so I just copied the url of the video, instead. Thanks for posting it!

Last edited:
good

Honore is now happy with the number of resources that have been put inplace since the night before last

i have a sneaky notion that someone was taking notes the other night cause he was not a happy camper!!

Now things will be graded by execution

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back