Sidney & Tammy Moorer, Indicted on conspiracy to kidnap Heather Elvis, 25 Apr 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, the State discussed why it would be best to try the Moorers at the same time, noting they face the same charges and the same witnesses would be called in both cases.

Judge Benjamin Culbertson disagreed, saying the State should have tried the two defendants together when Sidney Moorer’s original trial for kidnapping took place in June 2016. It ended in a mistrial. “It was a lot easier to do then than now,” Culbertson said, noting the solicitor's motion was filed with the Supreme Court and a decision would ultimately come from the state's high judges.

Livesay said the Supreme Court returns to session on Sept. 17. If the state’s high court ultimately decides to try the cases under one judge, it could push back Tammy Moorer’s Oct. 8 trial start date. Culbertson said that issue would be addressed if the Supreme Court rules in the state’s favor.

State Supreme Court will ultimately decide if Moorers are tried together

Judge Culbertson said if the state wanted a joint trial, Livesay should have made a motion to try the Moorer’s together before Sidney Moorer’s first kidnapping trial, which ended in a hung jury. However, the state still has a shot at having the trials merged. Livesay and her team are awaiting a ruling from the Supreme Court that will decide if Tammy and Sidney Moorer can be tried together. The Supreme Court isn’t back in session until Sept. 17.

Tammy Moorer’s defense team presented a number of motions, including having the charges severed, a request for a change of venue for the trial, and a motion to suppress statements Tammy Moorer made about Heather Elvis or statements about the Elvis family made during phone calls or on social media.

Judge Culbertson denied all motions except the suppressed statements motion, saying he would hold on making that decision and would continue the motion.

As it stands now, Tammy Moorer will go to trial Oct. 8 in Horry County. No date has been set for Sidney Moorer’s trial.
Judge denies nearly all pretrial motions in Heather Elvis kidnapping case

What was the Mrs. trying to ask the judge about the gag order?

Two jurors say they faced harassment inside the jury room and following the trial of Sidney Moore for his alleged role in the Heather Elvis kidnapping.

One juror reported they faced harassment and intimidation from other jurors as they deliberated Moorer’s guilt. That trial ended in a mistrial.

Another juror reported threats and harassment — mostly on social media — after the trial.

Here is what jurors faced after the first trials over Heather Elvis’ kidnapping

Two jurors say they faced harassment inside the jury room and following the trial of Sidney Moore for his alleged role in the Heather Elvis kidnapping.

One juror reported they faced harassment and intimidation from other jurors as they deliberated Moorer’s guilt. That trial ended in a mistrial.

Another juror reported threats and harassment — mostly on social media — after the trial.

Here is what jurors faced after the first trials over Heather Elvis’ kidnapping

That was the same jury that Truslow's friend was on.

What was the Mrs. trying to ask the judge about the gag order?

Tammy Moorer’s defense team presented a number of motions, including:

* having the charges severed;
* a request for a change of venue for the trial;
* a motion to suppress statements Tammy Moorer made about Heather Elvis or statements about the Elvis family made during phone calls or on social media.

Judge Culbertson denied all motions except the suppressed statements motion, saying he would hold on making that decision and would continue the motion.

As it stands now, Tammy Moorer will go to trial Oct. 8 in Horry County. No date has been set for Sidney Moorer’s trial.

Missed most of the pre-trial because our internet went out for 12 hours yesterday! :(

Looks like another "testy" judge from what I gleaned in the short time I was able to watch.

He certainly didn't do his homework on the case! SMH

I think the Supreme Court will rule in favor of a joinder trial.

Tammy Moorer’s defense team presented a number of motions, including:

* having the charges severed;
* a request for a change of venue for the trial;
* a motion to suppress statements Tammy Moorer made about Heather Elvis or statements about the Elvis family made during phone calls or on social media.

Thanks, I watched the hearing. I'm asking about TM's request to speak directly to the judge. Her Attorney clearly did not want to make the request, and the Judge shot it down. I was unclear on exactly what she wanted to ask, but think it was related to the gag order. I guess it's painful to remain silent ...

Thanks, I watched the hearing. I'm asking about TM's request to speak directly to the judge. Her Attorney clearly did not want to make the request, and the Judge shot it down. I was unclear on exactly what she wanted to ask, but think it was related to the gag order. I guess it's painful to remain silent ...

Yep! She definitely has trouble keeping quiet, doesn't she ?!?! Tammy wants to run the show.

Missed most of the pre-trial because our internet went out for 12 hours yesterday! :(

Looks like another "testy" judge from what I gleaned in the short time I was able to watch.

He certainly didn't do his homework on the case! SMH

I think the Supreme Court will rule in favor of a joinder trial.

Do all SC Judges dislike Nancy Livesay, or is it just this case? Unprepared and testy are understatements. I almost felt he didn't do his homework, because he knew he was not going to rule on any of them.

What happens if the supreme court doesn't rule on the State's motion until after October 8th? What's the down side to not trying them together?

Jurors report harassment after 1st Moorer kidnapping trial

Two jurors say they faced harassment inside the jury room and following the trial of Sidney Moorer for his alleged role in the Heather Elvis kidnapping.

[...]

I am hearing reports that upwards of 60% of Myrtle Beach residents did not evacuate. If you're a Myrtle Beach resident, you need to head west, and you need to do it immediately.

If you're staying, I wish you the best of luck.

I hope everyone here is safe!

Livesay said the Supreme Court returns to session on Sept. 17. If the state’s high court ultimately decides to try the cases under one judge, it could push back Tammy Moorer’s Oct. 8 trial start date. Culbertson said that issue would be addressed if the Supreme Court rules in the state’s favor.

State Supreme Court will ultimately decide if Moorers are tried together

September 17th is Monday. I think SC is still under a state of emergency and won't state offices still be closed from the storm/Florence?

September 17th is Monday. I think SC is still under a state of emergency and won't state offices still be closed from the storm/Florence?
I definitely think Flo will delay the court proceedings. Horry County is under mandatory evacuation and SC is under a state of emergency. The storm is moving slowly and dumping lots of rain. Flooding will likely prevent operations from returning to normal for an additional amount of time. Sending prayers and good vibes to my fellow Carolinians close to the coast.
JMO, MOO, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member