Hurricane Florence - September 2018

I would be projectile hurling if I was out at sea during a storm like this. Just watching the video gives me vertigo. A million moons ago, I lived in Tampa and went deep-sea fishing with a friend. I spent the entire time miserably seasick.

I guess I'm a hopeless landlubber. Land ho!

Ima - I tried to reply to your post with the above video, but it kept going wonky on me, so I just copied the url of the video, instead. Thanks for posting it!

that was so neat!

Until Japan I thought a tsunami was ONE

big wave

how it kept coming and coming and coming freaked me out bad

I had bad dreams for a while where from really far away you just see this mountain of water coming upon me they were terrifying dreams

good

Honore is now happy with the number of resources that have been put inplace since the night before last

i have a sneaky notion that someone was taking notes the other night cause he was not a happy camper!!

Now things will be graded by execution

Hi Cariis! I love Gen. Honore, too! I think he's keeping the bureaucrats on their toes this time around. He knows his stuff. I've been a big fan of his ever since Katrina.

wow

msnbc weather guy

explained that they get there hurricane data from a outfit out of boston

the explosions caused that entity to basically crash

and he said something like who could have imagined this with florence out there

he is still having some data issues

this is gonna be a lot like the Orville Dam mess -- stuff is gonna not even start to flood out for days .....like mid next week as water goes through all the rivers for miles and miles all that stuff is then gonna flood out

its gonna go on and on

Hi Cariis! I love Gen. Honore, too! I think he's keeping the bureaucrats on their toes this time around. He knows his stuff. I've been a big fan of his ever since Katrina.

hi you!

oh me too it was incredible how fast he turned that mess around wasnt it !

Made me cry -- it was like finally

amazing

Watching MSNBC on my cable news: over 156,000 without power in NC.

have you ever seen the weather guy they have tonight

I saw him first time like a day or so ago

he is really good he tells it as a story not scripted he just knows his stuff -- its kinda like being a dinner table with him

he has been the best one in this florence mess

have not caught his name but he is really good !

this is gonna be a lot like the Orville Dam mess -- stuff is gonna not even start to flood out for days .....like mid next week as water goes through all the rivers for miles and miles all that stuff is then gonna flood out

its gonna go on and on

Especially as the storm stalls and dumps all that rain on already saturated ground inland.

I'm also afraid for the Lowcountry in SC. I hope folks are careful and take every precaution.

msnbc

people are already on roofs

And now the Post-Katrina like debacle begins...

If people are stuck on roofs (this is why I keep talking about keeping and ax in the attic), in the face of the on coming storm, in homes on city streets, it could be suicide for any emergency responders to attempt any rescue in the face of the approaching storm with a boat, depending on how bad conditions are.

This is why General Honere was asking how many high clearance trucks FEMA had ready to go. But there is nothing you can drive into the face of a 13 foot storm surge!

During H. Katrina, the Ocean Springs Police Department in Mississippi survived the storm by clinging to a bush in front of their headquarters on the coast, for the worst of the storm, when their building could no longer be safely occupied.

So, while it is possible to survive a hurricane in the open, there will be deaths. Like in Slidell, La where storm surge washed the bodies into Lake Pontchatrain, there are bodies that never will be found, washed out to sea.

During the worst of the flooding in New Orleans, the phone service was wonkey. Many could not make a local call, but you could make 1-800 calls. In Memphis, I could listen to people calling into WWL radio via their 1-800 talk show line. People were on the air, on a 50,000 watt clear channel AM radio station at night. I could hear them in Memphis begging for rescue as their attics were filling with water, and NOPD and NOFD could not reach or find them at the peak of the storm, as the MRGO channeled storm surge from the Gulf of Mexico into St. Bernard Parish, the Lower 9th Ward and Eastern Gentilly on Monday night.
Tuesday night the canals walls would fail and flood Lakeview, more of Western Gentilly, and other areas of the city. 8 feet of flood water in some parts of Gentilly, to houses overtoped closer to the lake.

There will be deaths from this storm, and the toll has only just begun. Hopefully, the people in charge will get on with the business of rescue when it is safe to do so. I am sure that the people on the ground will, and not be distracted by the finger pointing going on over their heads!

God please help and deliver them all!

wow

msnbc weather guy

explained that they get there hurricane data from a outfit out of boston

the explosions caused that entity to basically crash

and he said something like who could have imagined this with florence out there

he is still having some data issues

bbm
The meteorologist is Bill Karins. I like him, too.

boy oh boy huh

been a day and a half no?

unmentionable things happening plus

murder sprees

plus houses blowing up all over the place

and florence is giant water pump

and climate change is all in our minds

and so it goes...........................................

Miguel Almaguer on MSNBC just stated that he's hearing "generators" exploding in the background.

Of course, he meant "transformers". A lotta folks are without power already (at least 160,000 in NC alone), and Florence hasn't even officially made landfall yet. Before this is over with, over a million are expected to be without power.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back