Hurricane Florence - September 2018

So far, so good. No rain and very little wind. Although they did state that they are currently checking out cute LE that are patrolling their area LOL

Tabirey - yes, a reporter on the ground in Myrtle Beach was just reporting how calm it currently is there. No wind, no rain. Let us hope that trend holds. Do they still have power?

I'm chuckling at your daughters checking out the cute cops! The young'uns sure do know how to make the best of a bad situation, don't they?

that was so neat!

Until Japan I thought a tsunami was ONE

big wave

how it kept coming and coming and coming freaked me out bad

I had bad dreams for a while where from really far away you just see this mountain of water coming upon me they were terrifying dreams

BBM

I used to have those 'wall of water' tsunami dreams, too.

Yes - they're really terrifying. I believe they symbolize intense emotions that the psyche is processing, as water events in dreams can be a metaphor for emotions.

Tabirey - yes, a reporter on the ground in Myrtle Beach was just reporting how calm it currently is there. No wind, no rain. Let us hope that trend holds. Do they still have power?

I'm chuckling at your daughters checking out the cute cops! The young'uns sure do know how to make the best of a bad situation, don't they?
They said it's blinked a few times, but not for a significant amount of time. They're making sure to keep everything charged and have several power banks to quick charge their phones if they do lose power.

I had a good giggle when they sent me the pic of the officers with the caption of them being cute. That's what I get for leaving 2, 20-somethings to live at the beach on their own! We swear that myrtle beach only hires good looking guys and gals. They could make a fortune selling MBPD calenders! LOL

There should be significant legal sanctions against people who willfully ignore evacuation orders and then put other people's lives at risk like this. The emergency services should be able to focus on dealing with unforeseen events, not tied up bailing out the downright stupid and selfish.

That doesn't apply to those who struggled to evacuate because of factors such as disability or health issues.

New Bern - Two hundred rescued - 150 still need help. Some calls for basically "water up to my chest, I need help, come get me".

Instructing people to go to their second floor or attic. "We're coming to get you".

Per Weather Channel.

ETA: From Fox, 10 foot storm surge reported in New Bern area.

Last edited:
Checking in from Eastern NC. Woke up and can’t get back to sleep. Miraculously I still have power. Flo is howling and local news is saying the eye is currently making landfall around Snead’s Ferry. Lots of reports of flooding, which was expected. I saw the report about the people needing rescue in New Bern. Scary stuff. I can’t imagine being on the waterfront for this storm.

There are 1500 out-of-state first responders stationed in my town ready and waiting to do their thing...God bless them! They cannot go out if winds are over 45 mph. My local emergency management department is doing a great job of keeping people informed.

So ready for daylight! A tree fell several hours ago and nearly gave me a heart attack lol. Had to give the cat his “special” treat to calm his nerves and now I’m wondering if they work for people too. o_O

There should be significant legal sanctions against people who willfully ignore evacuation orders and then put other people's lives at risk like this. The emergency services should be able to focus on dealing with unforeseen events, not tied up bailing out the downright stupid and selfish.

That doesn't apply to those who struggled to evacuate because of factors such as disability or health issues.

Or those like my daughters who had no access to transportation to get out. Myrtle Beach has a high number of low income residents without transportation.
I wonder if it would be more cost effective (and obviously safer for residents and emergency services) if they were provided transportation to safe areas?

Checking in from Eastern NC. Woke up and can’t get back to sleep. Miraculously I still have power. Flo is howling and local news is saying the eye is currently making landfall around Snead’s Ferry. Lots of reports of flooding, which was expected. I saw the report about the people needing rescue in New Bern. Scary stuff. I can’t imagine being on the waterfront for this storm.

There are 1500 out-of-state first responders stationed in my town ready and waiting to do their thing...God bless them! They cannot go out if winds are over 45 mph. My local emergency management department is doing a great job of keeping people informed.

So ready for daylight! A tree fell several hours ago and nearly gave me a heart attack lol. Had to give the cat his “special” treat to calm his nerves and now I’m wondering if they work for people too. o_O

Glad to see you! Stay safe! As for "special" treats, which gave me a giggle because we have "special" treats for our pup, benedryl works wonders for doggos and humans LOL

I wonder if it would be more cost effective (and obviously safer for residents and emergency services) if they were provided transportation to safe areas?

Since schools are going to be closed, why not use the school buses that would otherwise be standing idle and risk being damaged or destroyed if left unused?

Since schools are going to be closed, why not use the school buses that would otherwise be standing idle and risk being damaged or destroyed if left unused?

Saw a report a few minutes ago that one area did use school buses to take people two hundred miles away. Sorry I missed the specifics but it is an excellent idea. So many people don't have transportation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back