MA - As many as 17 house explosions in different locations, Lawrence/Andover, 13 Sept 2018

Could the over pressure in the main lines also have caused some damage to the pipeline valves, etc.? Like if one (or more) of their pipeline valves broke, would they have to go in now and repair it?

I'm guessing residents will be able to live in their homes without gas service until the repairs are made?

That may depend on what the gas is used for.

Cooking?

Central heating?

If you relied on gas for both of those how long could you go without either, especially with winter coming?

Given the scale of the devastation and the amount of checking that will be needed it's going to take some time for the gas company to do what is necessary to ensure the safety and inhabitability of each property.

There's also the question of how much insurance the gas company carries. Is it possible that the damage is greater than their insurance will cover?

The Mail is reporting that an 18 year old, Leonel Rondon, was killed. He was in a car when a chimney collapsed on it.

Major gas line problem causes 50 EXPLOSIONS in homes outside of Boston | Daily Mail Online

So sad, he was such a young man. Seems there were probably many teens at home when this happened, perhaps many parents still at work and hadn't arrived home from their commute. RIP young man.

1 killed and several injured after suspected gas explosions in Massachusetts - CNN

The article above says firefighters had put out 35 fires. Those guys must be exhausted by now. Good work.

They also have to worry about cracks in the pipes leading to their houses. Several years back, I was home with the flu and all of a sudden,my entire house shook. I thought the next door neighbor had hit our house with his car. Turns out, a house over the hill from me and about 2 blocks away completely blew up when the man turned on his basement light. His granddaughter got blown through the living room window and across the street. She survived..he did not. It was caused by a contractor who didn't fix a gas pipe and cracked it the year before! Natural gas kept building up under ground and a year later the simple act of turning on a light blew the house up!

They also have to worry about cracks in the pipes leading to their houses. Several years back, I was home with the flu and all of a sudden,my entire house shook. I thought the next door neighbor had hit our house with his car. Turns out, a house over the hill from me and about 2 blocks away completely blew up when the man turned on his basement light. His granddaughter got blown through the living room window and across the street. She survived..he did not. It was caused by a contractor who didn't fix a gas pipe and cracked it the year before! Natural gas kept building up under ground and a year later the simple act of turning on a light blew the house up!
Something similar happened in the neighborhood I grew up in. I was around nine and don’t remember the details just that a gas leak caused the house to blow up. There was little left but the foundation. It made such an impact on me. I am paranoid about gas now.... I can’t even wrap my head around this with so many houses.

I would hope the security services will take a long hard look at this incident. Needless to say the overwhelming likelihood that this is a *advertiser censored* up rather than a conspiracy BUT there's a very strong feeling that the next major conflict will include cyber attacks on infrastructure designed to cripple the opponent at home. I would want the authorities to look into and (preferably) rule out any possibility that this has been a test attack by Russia, China or Iran.

I would hope the security services will take a long hard look at this incident. Needless to say the overwhelming likelihood that this is a *advertiser censored* up rather than a conspiracy BUT there's a very strong feeling that the next major conflict will include cyber attacks on infrastructure designed to cripple the opponent at home. I would want the authorities to look into and (preferably) rule out any possibility that this has been a test attack by Russia, China or Iran.

Agree. Unfortunately, in this day and age, this possibility needs to be explored. It is a chilling thought, Melmoth. I'm hoping it was caused by a horrible accident, but I have to admit, when I first heard of this, I wondered if it could have been a deliberate act of some sort. Prayers for Lawrence and Andover. I am in Maine and we have sent some of our firefighters down their way. I pray for all emergency personnel involved in this highly dangerous situation, as well as the residents of this area.

It's going to be a long row to hoe.

I'm guessing residents will be able to live in their homes without gas service until the repairs are made?

How awful for the people who lost their homes today. My hearts go out to them tonight.

jmo

bbm
We are getting into winter time, so it's going to be super cold out. The folks who have gas will likely be really cold if they live in their home without their heater. Especially once it starts snowing. Goodness. This is horrible all around.

wow, and think of what it will cost that gas company to make these people whole again, never mind anyone who was killed or injured. When i lived up North, my gas bill was outrageous, i was luck to come to FL when they did the huge price hike back in 2000. I have electric now. so glad

Something similar happened in the neighborhood I grew up in. I was around nine and don’t remember the details just that a gas leak caused the house to blow up. There was little left but the foundation. It made such an impact on me. I am paranoid about gas now.... I can’t even wrap my head around this with so many houses.

I had a similar experience. I was also around 9 when the house on the hill above our school blew up in the night. The next day there were bricks littering our playground. It is hard to think rationally when I smell gas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back