TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little off topic:
A Dallas Police officer was arrested by Rowlett Police Department for driving while intoxicated on Sept. 11.

According to a press release, Rowlett PD responded to a call of a possible intoxicated driver at about 2:17 a.m. in the area of 4600 Lakeview Parkway.

Rowlett officers searched the area and found a vehicle that matched the description of the intoxicated driver, Ashley Parmley, 33, stopped in the parking lot of a business at 4300 Miller Road.

When officers made contact with her they noticed signs of intoxication.

She was processed into the Rowlett City Jail for investigation of driving while intoxicated and resisting arrest.

Parmely has been with the Dallas Police Department since June 2015 and assigned to the North Central Patrol Division. She is on administrative leave pending an Internal Affairs administrative investigation, Dallas PD said.

Dallas PD has not released any further information at this time
Dallas officer arrested for DWI in Rowlett

[
Update: Fort Worth officer shot in head still critical, 2 suspects ID’d by police
Officials provide an update on the condition of Fort Worth Officer Garrett Hull. Hull, an undercover officer, was among numerous officers pursuing robbery suspects early Friday when he was shot in the head.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2018 12:25 PM/QUOTE]
Fort Worth Breaking News, Sports, Weather & More | Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Fort Worth police officer ‘fighting for his life’ after being shot in head, police say

Fort Worth Breaking News, Sports, Weather & More | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

It's been almost two weeks since Jorge Olguín's young children watched him die when a scuffle with a security guard ended in bloodshed at a Red Bird apartment complex.

No charges have been filed in this month's shooting because the case is still under investigation and will likely go to a grand jury that will determine whether a crime was committed or if the guard acted in self-defense.

But as the Olguín family tells it, it was the 38-year-old father who was defending his wife and children after the guard pepper-sprayed the family as they left a child's birthday party at the Wheatland Terrace Apartments.

They say Olguín became emotional but was no threat to the guard, who shot him repeatedly, once in the head.

The deadly Sept. 1 confrontation was overshadowed a few days later when an off-duty police officer killed a Dallas man in his apartment, which she says she mistook for her own.
Children watched father die after run-in with guard at Dallas apartment complex | Crime | Dallas News

Critics point to differences between the Dallas Police Department and Texas Rangers records that indicate Guyger's account changed. The police search warrant states that Jean confronted the officer at the door, while the Rangers' affidavit said Jean was across the room when Guyger walked in.

One law enforcement official has said the evidence so far doesn't determine whether the door was unlocked.

A neighbor said she did not hear knocking or yelling before the gunshot, which she assumed to be a domestic dispute, and then heard the sound of a woman calling 911.
What we know, and what we don't, a week after Dallas Officer Amber Guyger killed Botham Jean | Crime | Dallas News

EtA: @GarAndTeed there is a lot of information on this page if you can get into it.

Confronted as in he opened the door. If he opened the door it wasn’t ajar!!! Use of the word “confronted” seems to imply aggression on Mr Jean’s part. Interesting play on words. Something Amber would want the GJ to note, making seem as if she were defending herself. Hopefully the GJ is smarter than the Casey Anthony jury!!!

But it really shouldn't matter, since she was breaking into his home. I don't think it's unreasonable to aggressively confront someone who's yelling and banging on your door at 10pm. I wouldn't be too pleased!

Last edited:
On Thursday afternoon, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram published a damning report revealing that the arrest affidavit for Guyger contradicted the search warrant for Jean’s apartment. Guyger had claimed in the initial affidavit that she saw a “large silhouette” across the room when she entered Jean’s apartment; the search warrant, conversely, states that Jean “confronted the officer at the door” after she opened the door “with a set of keys.”

Note: I copied this yesterday but can no longer get into the site.

That's a bizarre scenario, IMO. It's been a long time since I dated, but, yeah, no one ever left a door open. What would be the point when you're capable of answering the door on your own?

I'm going with Occam's razor here. It was a Sunday night, correct? Had to get up early for work the next morning. He was in bed asleep with his apartment door closed and locked, when the killer began banging on his door and shouting. He awakens, stumbles to the door to open it and the murderer kills him. Murderer panics and begins making up excuses for how it happened. Victim is dead, so cannot tell the true story.
I mean, not to be to personal but the idea of being asleep and my partner waking me up or vice versa was a mutually hot. They were not guys I wanted a key or had a key for their place, more casual encounters I guess. It takes all kinds.. just bc he went to church and worked in finance doesn’t mean he didn’t have a friend with benefits.

IF you believe her premise that she really thought, for whatever mitigating reason, exhaustion, drunk, stoned, enraged not due to the decedent etc, she was at her home and believe she really thought he was an intruder....then no, it isn't murder, it is manslaughter despite the fact that at the point she "believed" she thought it was her home, she did shoot with intent to kill.

The reckless element of manslaughter means she was reckless in assessing the situation she created or found herself in and if substance impaired; it is still at least manslaughter.

You try driving like hell on wheels sufficient to get pulled over for reckless driving. See if you talk your way out of it by pleading you were simply tired. Probably won't happen especially if you are going fast enough to make the reckless offense bookable.

Murder would mean you do not believe her stories about truly believing she was at her apartment.

Me personally, I don't believe anything she has to say, not for a second.

Bottom line....

Even if you believe every single statement she has given... she DID NOT accidentally fire her weapon. She DID NOT shoot to wound. She shot to kill. And that is murder, not manslaughter.

I mean, not to be to personal but the idea of being asleep and my partner waking me up or vice versa was a mutually hot. They were not guys I wanted a key or had a key for their place, more casual encounters I guess. It takes all kinds.. just bc he went to church and worked in finance doesn’t mean he didn’t have a friend with benefits.

He could have a friend with benefits, but it was a secure building. It doesn't make sense for him to leave his door open when he would have to let someone in downstairs anyway. And I think most people who are having someone over will just let them in rather than leave their door propped. I'm still pretty young and I've literally never heard of anyone doing this.

It started in the parking garage
Guyger, a four-year veteran of the police force, told investigators that she had just ended a 15-hour shift on Thursday when she returned in uniform to the South Side Flats apartment complex. She parked on the fourth floor, instead of the third, where she lived, the affidavit said, possibly suggesting that she was confused or disoriented.
Dallas cop realized she had burst into the wrong apartment when she turned on the lights after fatally shooting her neighbor, affidavit says

One Dallas police officer, who spoke to NBC Dallas-Fort Worth on the condition of anonymity, said Guyger had just finished a 14-hour shift when she returned home and took the elevator to the wrong floor.

The source said Guyger went to what she believed was the door to her apartment, but was actually Jean's. She struggled to open the door with her key, so she set down the items she was holding to focus on getting the key to work.

As she continued to fiddle with the key, Jean allegedly swung open the door and startled her. The source said Guyger believed Jean, who was only wearing underwear, was an intruder and shot him with her service weapon.

The source said Guyger didn't realize her mistake until police and rescue units began arriving at the complex. After she realized the mistake, the source said, she became emotional and fully cooperated with officers, offering to provide blood samples.

This version of events was later taken out of the NBC article, but the original story is in an archived version.
The timeline of events in the Dallas officer-involved shooting has changed several times in 7 days.

Last edited:
Supposedly, there were multiple complaints by her and/or others. Guyger confronting Jean about noise seems to make the most sense out of all the theories tossed around. I imagine she got home ready to relax, then heard loud irritating noise from Jean's apartment. Guyger got fed up with it. So she decided to confront him while still wearing her full police uniform -- with deadly results. However, there's a nagging detail: Guyger parked on the wrong garage floor. This leads to the question: Do the tenants have assigned parking spaces?

Wonder what kind of noise complaints? My guess TV or music. I bet those apartments have cardboard thin walls!!!

Listen carefully folks.

The number of rude posts in this thread is creating all sorts of unnecessary work for Mods and Admin and is completely unacceptable.

Think about what you are going to post. If it contains sarcasm, snark or rudeness, don't post it. If you do, you will face a 1 week timeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks