Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thoughts ~

To premeditate something as horrific as this, one would think he would have been more prepared. Not only did SW have a dr's appt that was missed that am, didn't I read that it was one of the girl's first day at school? He had to have known people would be calling, but maybe he thought he could just say the daughter was ill. And then report them missing in a few days meanwhile... answering her myriad of texts she receives each day? He had to know people would wonder within HOURS, as NU did, that something was wrong.

She obviously trusted him with the girls' care or she never would have gone to AZ that weekend and left them alone with him. That tells me that while they may have been discussing a separation, nothing triggered a warning to her that he may be unstable, or abusive, or anything along those lines.

She may have "worn the pants" in the family, but even if his income was on the lower end, he probably provided the medical insurance through his employer, which as we all know isn't cheap, esp with dependents. Her comments that he "didn't have game" imply she thought she had him wrapped around her finger and she'd NEVER anticipate him leaving or even wanting to leave. She probably felt who would want him? How could he conquer someone else? "He had no game." Could he have served her with divorce papers that night? Something that made her realize he did indeed want to leave?

Did she have some sort of "dirt" on him that he felt could never be exposed, perhaps making him afraid he'd never see his girls again? A mistress/affair wouldn't affect custody, I wouldn't think. What about having a SUPPOSED gay lover? Probably not. But family embarassment and all that, assuming that's true. Still may not affect any legal ruling over custody.

So hard to keep track of what was mentioned here when, but I thought I read "recently" that someone wrote SW was involved in a few MLMs prior to Thrive including a cosmetics one called Younique. Um, the supposed gay lover is supposedly affiliated with that product. Coincidence?

If she was selling car tire rims in NC, I still can't get my head around how that'd qualify her for a construction loan or mortgage on a $300-400,000 home. The general rule, on average, is that you qualify for a mortgage that's 2.5x your salary. Banks got into trouble by offering people loans that ate up more income, but even if the 2.5x rule applied, and even if she had money from the divorce to put down, which I don't think she did because it's been said she sold the NC home with a whopping $8000 or so "profit," then to qualify for even a $300,000 loan she'd have had to have been making about $120,000/year. How? I know it's unrelated to the murders, but just part of the thoughts that swirl through my head trying to understand this case.

Ok, last random thought for now, if you've read this far. With the oodles of FB videos, I'm guessing the prosecution may show the jury ones where she raves about how great he is, but will his defense team show various ones where she subtly puts him down? All this social media stuff is still so new. The poor jury could spend hours and hours, days and days, watching them, rewatching them. How to choose what gets shown if any?

Just going over the time line.
CW backed his truck out of his driveway at 5:30am Aug 14.,
taking approximately a 40min drive, arriving at the oil work site around 6:10am to 6:15am.
Sunrise in this area was approximately 6:10am that morning , I believe it was a sunny warm
day. The sun starting to rise as he buried SW in a sallow grave, and putting each girl in separate oil vats.
Wondering what time CW started work that Monday? Did he have to report to someone
that morning?

I was visiting my mother, she lives Denver. I flew out to help her with her yard.
Being a hot summer, tons of yard work, and the soil was hard to work. I recall the Denver news
reporting SW, Belle and Celeste missing and police started searching. I thought that odd, thinking
she decided to leave him. I didn't follow what was happening much, been busy with finishing the lawn
work and packing up to fly home. Found out after I arrived home, what had happened. Was horrified
when I heard.

Those who have somewhat negative things to say about the victim (and however you slice it, SW is a victim of murder) paint picture of a "bossy" woman and a good ol' boy man having at least one affair and mostly doing what his wife told him to do, until supposedly asking for an affair. SO here is a scenario I can buy (all IMO): SW is not having it, and if CW goes through with separating, she promises to make his life hell. So this weak, cowardly man who feels controlled and henpecked decides he will finally show her. He kills his children, seeing them as part of her, she will withhold them anyway, and lies in ambush for her. It's pre-meditated but not well thought out. All MOO.
Add in the thought of child support until each is 18 y/o. That may or may not have been discussed if CW/SW discussed a divorce, but I think he would have at least thought about it. For two children -- part of his future earnings. A divorce attorney would certainly put that on the table -- and it can affect visitation privileges.

Call me old fashioned but I don’t believe in displaying my whole day to day activities of my personal life including my marriage on Social media. I believe keeping some things private and should be kept in the household instead of in front of the world to make opinions.

Good to know. I always thought that too.

it could be the kids playing, but kids' play is not innocuous. Kids' play is their therapy, their way of communicating, and of working out problems. abused kids will also "play abuse" dolls, animals, etc. it is still play although a cry for help as well. kids generally would not play in this way without some prior exposure to such a posture. Usually kids put dolls under a blanket with the head exposed, tucked in for bed. covering the head is not normal play behavior and is due to previous exposure to such a position.

Call me old fashioned but I don’t believe in displaying my whole day to day activities of my personal life including my marriage on Social media. I believe keeping some things private and should be kept in the household instead of in front of the world to make opinions.
I'm the same way, but all my younger relatives with young kids think nothing of posting all sorts of stuff about the family and kids. And they keep the FB open to anyone (in the entire world) who wants to watch or follow them.

it could be the kids playing, but kids' play is not innocuous. Kids' play is their therapy, their way of communicating, and of working out problems. abused kids will also "play abuse" dolls, animals, etc. it is still play although a cry for help as well. kids generally would not play in this way without some prior exposure to such a posture. Usually kids put dolls under a blanket with the head exposed, tucked in for bed. covering the head is not normal play behavior and is due to previous exposure to such a position.

- Deleted. I'm saying too many facts without being VI. Apologies.

As promised, I read “Two Face: The Man Underneath Christopher Watts” by Nick van der Leek. It’s free on Kindle Unlimited and $3.99 if you don’t have it.

Fortunately I didn’t have to pay for it, as I can think of better ways to spend $3.99 (like buying 4 packs of gum and chewing them all at once).

The book presents the timeline and evidence, as we know it. From there, the author speculates as to C.W.’s motive, how the crime occurred, and analyzes some of the major players.

He recounts a premeditated scenario, where C.W. is lying in wait for Shanann as she returns home that fateful night.

He speculates that the kids were killed first, because cadaver dogs were heard barking during CW’s interview with the media. The logic is that cadaver dogs bark when they get a hit, they would only get a hit if there was the scent of decomposition, so the kids must have been killed before Shanann arrived home.

As for motive, the author says that their entire life was a facade, both were living a lie (not happy), and financial problems were compounding their struggles.

Chris was overshadowed by Shanann and was losing his identity. The prospect of another child was too much to handle, and Chris felt that he was in too deep.

He speculates that Shanann and the kids returning to North Carolina, was a trial separation of sorts.

The decrease in Facebook videos leading up to the murders, is a sign of a marriage that is no longer a viable one.

*He makes an interesting point when he says that the kids may have been placed in different tanks, because the oil levels would have triggered a sensor if they deviated too much.

Some tid bits:

Author blasts Thrive for isolating Shanann from her real friends. People get sick of all the posts, and the only friends left were people within the “Thrive Cult.”

Her entire life was revolves around this MLM company, and her Facebook posts paint a picture that is in direct conflict with the truth. She is “faking it, until she makes it.”

He blasts fellow Thrivers for using her death to promote themselves, all of them changing their Facebook profile photos, to make themselves the center of attention.

*He cites a 2013 family annihilator study from the Harvard Journal of Criminal Justice. All were loving husbands and good fathers. The motives generally included family breakup, financial problems, and greed (killing his family would solve these problems).

The reason I don’t think this book is worthwhile, is because it does exactly what we do on here. We use the evidence and timeline to build a narrative in regards to what we think happened.

There’s just not a lot here, and his scenario of this being quite premeditated, is contingent on some barking dogs. It’s definitely plausible, but just too flimsy for me.

Read his blog, not his book, unless you have Kindle Unlimited.

I think so. SW did say they were trying to get pregnant before she made the pregnancy announcement.

Yes, she did say that.

Shrug. I know my perspective on this one differs from many. I waffle back and forth. My gut says one thing but Idk. I would really like a doc dump. Especially since it's Friday! I always loved Friday doc dumps during the Casey Anthony case.

I know nothing about Lupus and fertility. But FWIW, I endured PAIN for years and couldn't get health providers to look at the possibility of endometriosis because a significant symptom of endometriosis is infertility. I had ZERO problems with infertility. My ex husband sneezed and I got pregnant. :rolleyes: Eventually I found a doc who listened, did a hysterectomy, and found severe scarring from years of guess what? Endometriosis. Pain free 6 years now! But the point is maybe it's possible that her fertility wasn't affected even though that would be expected with Lupus. Again, I DON'T KNOW much about Lupus.
I think, like most autoimmune diseases/conditions, each is unique in each patient. I have Lupus as did my sister.
We each had no problem getting pregnant and having healthy births. However, I have something called antiphosphlipid syndrome/anticardiolipid antibodies in my blood which usually results in miscarriages. Why it did not for me I do not know nor do the drs. Just a little info about My personal Lupus journey. Of course I know nothing about the medical condition of SW.

Yeah, but all her Thrive friends did the same. Check out some of their videos. That was their social group, and it looks like they all had fun doing it. I don’t think they had any idea that strangers from across the world would be viewing and scrutinizing them after a gruesome murder took place.

I'm the same way, but all my younger relatives with young kids think nothing of posting all sorts of stuff about the family and kids. And they keep the FB open to anyone (in the entire world) who wants to watch or follow them.

I really can't understand the need to share so much on SM. Those who do it should at least fix their settings for family/close friends. I'm glad my children and close family aren't SM posters.

Author blasts Thrive for isolating Shanann from her real friends. People get sick of all the posts, and the only friends left were people within the “Thrive Cult.”

SBM.

That hadn't occurred to me, but I bet that's exactly right. I remember in the early days of fb blocking the people who made all the farmville requests. It was annoying.

His dad went out to support and help find them. Yes to your question. My heart breaks for his father.
Thanks Trinket78. I was looking for verification that he had 2 opportunities in person to run the story past his father. Which could mean nothing at all, or could be significant. Talks to father on way back from airport, gets separated and with police for (how long?) and won't tell the "truth" (the way he put it, per affidavit) until after he talks privately to father again, I think that sequence is correct. IMO

Last edited:
SBM.

That hadn't occurred to me, but I bet that's exactly right. I remember in the early days of fb blocking the people who made all the farmville requests. It was annoying.
I thought that this was a good point because it has actually happened to me. I’ve cut myself of from several friends because I’m sick of their constant posts.

I’ve had people reach out to me, people that I haven’t talked to in years. I thought they wanted to reconnect, but they just wanted to sell me something.

Last edited:
*He cites a 2013 family annihilator study from the Harvard Journal of Criminal Justice. All were loving husbands and good fathers. The motives generally included family breakup, financial problems, and greed (killing his family would solve these problems).
Thanks, MassGuy, for the "book" review. I figured the author had no more info than anyone else. Curious about the statement above. How many of these slaughterings do result in the person actually being "free" of what is bogging them down? How many eventually get caught? Probably more are caught, eventually, which makes me wonder why the process continues in some cases. Their brains must work in a seriously different way making them think they are above the law and suspicion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong