TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what kind of noise complaints? My guess TV or music. I bet those apartments have cardboard thin walls!!!
Apartments do have thin walls, if I don't have tv on I can hear my neighbors washing machine or hair dryer and I'm sure they can hear mine too as well as tv or music, but it is usually muffled noise and not really disturbing at all. The real noise makers are dogs, but I love dogs so I don't mind! I don't think he had a dog.

That is ridiculous! He was murdered in his own home. It has NOTHING to do with what happened in any way at all.
Sorry, I missed that noise or pot smell had been ruled out as a stimulus for her attack on the Victim. Can you post the source link please?
I’m glad to hear things are being ruled out quickly, and the truth is being sought.

IF you believe her premise that she really thought, for whatever mitigating reason, exhaustion, drunk, stoned, enraged not due to the decedent etc, she was at her home and believe she really thought he was an intruder....then no, it isn't murder, it is manslaughter despite the fact that at the point she "believed" she thought it was her home, she did shoot with intent to kill.

The reckless element of manslaughter means she was reckless in assessing the situation she created or found herself in and if substance impaired; it is still at least manslaughter.

You try driving like hell on wheels sufficient to get pulled over for reckless driving. See if you talk your way out of it by pleading you were simply tired. Probably won't happen especially if you are going fast enough to make the reckless offense bookable.

Murder would mean you do not believe her stories about truly believing she was at her apartment.

Me personally, I don't believe anything she has to say, not for a second.

I think if that’s the case- lots of people with regrets on pulling the trigger should be charged w manslaughter instead of murder.

Listen carefully folks.

The number of rude posts in this thread is creating all sorts of unnecessary work for Mods and Admin and is completely unacceptable.

Think about what you are going to post. If it contains sarcasm, snark or rudeness, don't post it. If you do, you will face a 1 week timeout.

I back up everything SillyBilly says. You all know the rules. No rude, snarky, or in general mean remarks. Especially directed at other posters.

Thousands of posters every single day post on Websleuths with no problems. It isn't that hard to do.

Thank you,
Tricia

He could have a friend with benefits, but it was a secure building. It doesn't make sense for him to leave his door open when he would have to let someone in downstairs anyway. And I think most people who are having someone over will just let them in rather than leave their door propped. I'm still pretty young and I've literally never heard of anyone doing this.
He didn’t leave his door open lol she is full of it.

Sorry, I missed that noise or pot smell had been ruled out as a stimulus for her attack on the Victim. Can you post the source link please?
I’m glad to hear things are being ruled out quickly, and the truth is being sought.

Marijuana and a noise complaint is not justification for home invasion and murder. That is the law. So yes, it should be ruled out and should never even be mentioned as relevant as it isn't.

By the letter of the law, it is irrelevant.

Marijuana and a noise complaint is not justification for home invasion and murder. That is the law. So yes, it should be ruled out and should never even be mentioned as relevant as it isn't.

Agree completely it does not merit home invasion. What I was suggesting is not the law, but her personal *motivation*. I didn’t know that sound or pot smell had been ruled out as her *motivation* to seek him out. (I’m not buying the wrong apartment story).
But you have confirmed that you know these factors have been definitely ruled out. Thanks! I had missed that.

completely 100% agree but what i find interesting & worrisome about this theory (and i think maybe the OP was getting at but dont want to speak for them) is that AG may try to use this to her advantage:

shes made quite a mess of her version of events but if she finds a way to spin her story, she could claim/admit that she was heading up there to address noise and/or the smell of weed in a "neighborly way". (this would include backtracking on her original version of events which i hope would cause her to lose credibility). but if shes desperate, she could go as far as to claim that Botham Jean wasnt being noisy when she got home, she was following up from earlier. she could even claim she smelled the weed and didnt see it to be consistent with the darkness.

then, when she saw/smelled drugs in the apartments and he didnt "obey her commands" she was "forced to act as a cop".

now, imo, this is an entirely BS version of what happened and im not sure the specifics of when an off-duty cop can transition on duty. its also an abuse of power on its own - your neighbors shouldnt try to intimidate you based on their profession, (or physically harm and kill you). no matter how ridiculous we all know this is given that its weed (rather than heroine for example) and such a small amount AND SHE HAD NO RIGHT TO BE THERE, imo its also worrisome there are drugs to reference in the apt in terms of Botham Jean receiving fair justice. hoping the entire community (witnesses, GJ, cops, everyone) comes together to find justice for Botham Jean.

Postponed: Coffee with Cops
Update:
Our “Coffee with Cops” event scheduled for this weekend has been postponed . After a conversation with our local McDonald’s partners, in light of this past week’s tragedy, we have agreed to reschedule.

We appreciate the longstanding partnership and support with McDonald’s and all of our community partners and we look forward to hosting this event in the near future.

Original Post:
It’s that time of the year! Come out and have coffee with us this Saturday, September 15, 2018. This is great opportunity to meet your neighborhood police officers and enjoy a free cup of coffee. Hope to see you all there.
Postponed: Coffee with Cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member