GUILTY CA - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

Stephanie Baldwin, Faith’s mother:

“Marci Kitchen took from me something that was so precious, so unique, never to be replaced,” Baldwin said. “What I have left of Faith on Earth is a box of ashes. I can talk to this box but it doesn’t respond.”

Her father, Jeff Tsarnos:

“This has destroyed my life,” Firpo read, adding that Stephanie and Mark had allowed Faith to travel to Humboldt County to visit her father. “I wasn’t able to return her safely.”

Mother of girl killed at Marcia Kitchen sentencing: ‘What I have left of Faith on Earth is a box of ashes’ – Times-Standard

I can’t imagine. :(

Probably my most juvenile comment ever... but my heart screams, "Shut up, Marci & attorneys! Marci, take responsibility and serve 9 years 8 months... it's the least you owe for what you've done!"

Probably my most juvenile comment ever... but my heart screams, "Shut up, Marci & attorneys! Marci, take responsibility and serve 9 years 8 months... it's the least you owe for what you've done!"

If that’s juvenile, so am I! I would love to see her tell her attorneys to just STOP, and stand up and tell the judge to give her the max. That is the decent thing to do. It’s less than 5 years for the life of each girl.

John Chiv commentary is starting:

Except for her mother, Marci’s supporter lack “couth.”

Words Worth: The only person supporting Marci Kitchen that has been respectful is her mom

Jevin Kitchen never wants to see or hear from his mother again. He hates her with all his soul.

Words Worth: "I not only lost my sister that night, I lost my mother"

Interestingly (at least to me), "uncouth" is a word my own mother used on a number of occasions... I don't hear it often these days. Very descriptive.

Heart wrenching photo. I suspect this is Faith’s Mom. Possibly Jevin in the back.

Kiya’s dad said:

Joe Kitchen, the father of Kiya and former husband of Marci, began his testimony by stating that his former wife, “left Kiya to die alone, confused and suffering in pain.” Then noting that Kiya was born on his birthday stated, “Marci gave her to me, and then she killed her.”

He said her actions were unforgivable.

Kitchen Gets 8 Years for Intoxicated Hit and Run Death of Daughter and Friend

More from Chiv about the sentence. He will keep posting. I will put them here when I can, but feel free to post, as I will be out this evening seeing “Romeo and Juliet.” I’m not sure I can stand more tragedy, but free tickets win out. This whole case has been draining. I don’t usually cry over cases here on WS, but the victim impact statements today really got to me. :(

Words Worth: Marci Kitchen sentenced to 8 years in state prison

More detail from John Chiv. The legal issue PC-654 he posted about last night did come into play in sentencing.
Words Worth: Will PC 654 impact Marci Kitchen's sentencing tomorrow?

Chiv writes:

Judge Cockrum explained his decision in detail. Before his ruling Judge Cockrum said "there are four potential sentences. "This is legally one of the hardest cases."

To the victims and the families, Judge Cockrum said, "I see these crimes have shaken you to the core. Nothing I or any Judge can do will fully make you whole again."

Court minutes will not be up today; sometime by Thursday per court clerk. They still have to be reviewed by the Judge so they will not be up today.

Count 1: mid term of 2 years; consecutive 5 years for one special allegation; additional 1 year for the other special allegation.

Count 2, sentence for months was "imposed but stayed" per PC 654.
Counts 3 and 4 dismissed. For counts 3 and 4, Judge Cockrum mentioned People vs Kalles and Penal Code 1385.

Resitution is reserved. Marci Kitchen will get credits for the time she spent in jail, including "good time" PC 4019 credits .

Two photos of MK (one in cuffs) at the link.
Words Worth: Marci Kitchen sentenced to 8 years in state prison

MK statement:

This was Marci Kitchen's brief statement to Judge Kaleb Cockrum.

"All my life, all I wanted to be was a mom. But a mom doesn't kill her own child; injure her own child; leave her own child."

"I wish I could console all the people but I am the cause. Most of the victims in this case I loved; they are people who loved me. I am sorry, your honor."
Words Worth: The only person supporting Marci Kitchen that has been respectful is her mom

He will be adding detail to his previous posts from today, so I’ve reposted some in this post and will repost more as they appear later.

Judge Kaleb Cockrum said it was Kitchen’s behavior after the fatal collision that made hers a prison case.

“When Ms. Kitchen says she thought (she had hit) a deer I just don’t believe her,” Cockrum said in sentencing Kitchen this afternoon. He said when a driver hits a deer, the logical response is to inspect the damage to the vehicle, turn your headlights on so another driver won’t hit the animal, and call law enforcement.

Instead, Cockrum said, Kitchen pulled over to the side of the road, sat there for two or three minutes, possibly made a phone call and then left.

He called that “a calculated response, not a panicked response.”

The judge said Kitchen could have “come clean” when she visited the scene of the crime shortly afterward, or at the hospital where her critically injured daughter was taken. Cockrum said he also didn’t believe Kitchen’s claims that she had only two drinks that night, when her son Jevin says she arrived home intoxicated.

<snip>

Kitchen, 41, received two years for vehicular manslaughter, five years for hit-and-run and one year because there was more than one victim. She will most likely serve about four years because she will receive one day of credit for every day served.

'A Mom Doesn’t Kill Her Child': Relatives of Victims, Friends of Marci and the Convicted Killer Herself Speak at Today's Marci Kitchen Sentencing

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back