DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Return After Search of Ford

Page 2 of the search warrant! It says the Chevrolet has Maryland plates, when clearly it has Connecticut plates in the photo. What's the deal here?

Savopoulos family murder suspect Daron Wint arrested in Northeast DC | Daily Mail Online
28F6F5FF00000578-3092208-image-a-12_1432278272820.jpg

Was the Chevy a rental?

Was the Chevy a rental?

That's what all the news reports said. But like I pointed out earlier, it's highly unusual for rental car companies to bother registering vehicles in CT because NJ has far cheaper taxes for out of state businesses. Maybe it wasn't a rental and LE purposefully released misleading info?

That's what all the news reports said. But like I pointed out earlier, it's highly unusual for rental car companies to bother registering vehicles in CT because NJ has far cheaper taxes for out of state businesses. Maybe it wasn't a rental and LE purposefully released misleading info?

I thought the car was white...not sure why.

That’s an usual rental car color in my neck of the woods.
JMO

FYI, as discussed upthread, rentals can have plates from any state - the car you pick up at the rental site might be a car that was dropped off from a renter who picked it in a completely different state. Many renters only go one-way with the rental. Over time, a rental site is going to have an available fleet of cars with plates from a variety of states.

We rent vehicles for our family road trips and the plates on the car have been from all over the place - including places we have never been.

I wouldn't rely on the plate to indicate where the rental car was picked up.

jmo

Here’s a video -the color may be distorted from all the flashing lights on emergency/ LE vehicles...

Video shows scene of Daron Dylon Wint arrest

The Chevy looks white to me in that video. Not that the color matters at all.

What is interesting is the license plate discrepancy between the photos and the search warrant.

Perhaps the vehicle was actually registered in Maryland and the plates were swapped from an identical Chevy Cruze?

FYI, as discussed upthread, rentals can have plates from any state - the car you pick up at the rental site might be a car that was dropped off from a renter who picked it in a completely different state. Many renters only go one-way with the rental. Over time, a rental site is going to have an available fleet of cars with plates from a variety of states.

We rent vehicles for our family road trips and the plates on the car have been from all over the place - including places we have never been.

I wouldn't rely on the plate to indicate where the rental car was picked up.

jmo

I'm not disputing that! HOWEVER, I know with certainty that you haven't gotten a vehicle with CT plates from Avis, Hertz, or any other large rental car company.

They don't register their vehicles in CT, period. Only a handful of small business car rental companies based in CT will bother paying the ridiculous taxes.

Reactions: IDK
I've lived in Connecticut my entire life, and never have I seen a rental car with Connecticut plates.

And when I start thinking about how the warrant says Maryland plates, my brain just goes haywire because of the pictures of the car with CT plates.

Something doesn't make sense here, folks!

What is interesting is the license plate discrepancy between the photos and the search warrant.

Perhaps the vehicle was actually registered in Maryland and the plates were swapped from an identical Chevy Cruze?

I think stolen plates are a possibility...so plates don’t match VIN.
If there was a BOLO for Cruze with Maryland plates this one would not match on a license plate reader..

JMO

I'm no longer a DC local, but I was as recently as a few months ago.

Lyft, Uber, cab, etc. are all options. There is a red line WMATA train stop (Woodley Park) about 3/4 of a mile from where they lived. There are other bus routes within a few blocks, although it's very unlikely he could easily get there via bus from where he lived. If he took public transportation, the train is much more likely IMO.

I've always speculated that he got a ride from someone, partially because I still think there were others involved.

I'm honestly shocked we still don't know these kinds of details about this crime. That area of DC houses the VP, ambassadors, and many wealthy families. The fact that they lived across the street from the Ambassador of Australia and within a few blocks of the VP's residence, and there's still seemingly no video evidence of him arriving or leaving (that we know of, at least) is honestly shocking to me.

Additionally, if they suspected he took the train, they should have been able to get security videos from the likely stations he used.

Agree. I used to live in that neighborhood and there are cameras everywhere. Metro cameras too.

Could they have swapped the plates so they couldn't be pulled over if the police had info from a rental agency with a certain license plate?

Aside from the GPS in vehicles which can be tracked, if the police were on the lookout for certain "plates", that wouldn't work if the plates were swapped.

I remember when we were all discussing this back at the start of this case. Somewhere I posted about my husband's experiences with construction auctions. My bro-in-law had a contracting business for many years. My husband went to several auctions with him. Those places are huge and full of great deals on used equipment and foreclosed upon materials, tools, etc.

They used to take a lot of cash, thousands and thousands, with them because sometimes one can get a better price by offering all cash, upfront, immediately. And it is quicker overall, to just pay up and go. If you want to drive off with some very expensive equipment, you don't want them to worry about your check, or your account being shady. JMO

But the CFO of AIW testified that this was the first time he'd asked for cash in that amount; that it was very unusual. His practice was to pay by check.

Are 4 people dead because of this alarm company? I would sue them out of business if this is true.

So if the glass breakage sensor went off at 1:07, I am assuming the alarm company called the house or the number they had been given. And no one answered. That should have been big red flag!! Since we know the phone lines were cut, why didn’t the alarm company call 911?

I had glass breakage monitors in a previous house, and if one went off my home phone, then cell phone were called by the alarm company. If I didn’t answer and give the code word, not the alarm “disarm” code, the police were dispatched immediately with no sirens.

JMO and life experiences

So if the glass breakage sensor went off at 1:07, I am assuming the alarm company called the house or the number they had been given. And no one answered. That should have been big red flag!! Since we know the phone lines were cut, why didn’t the alarm company call 911?

I had glass breakage monitors in a previous house, and if one went off my home phone, then cell phone were called by the alarm company. If I didn’t answer and give the code word, not the alarm “disarm” code, the police were dispatched immediately with no sirens.

JMO and life experiences

I guess they differ in the way they are set up. My glass break detectors only trigger a call to the police if my system is armed. Which is fortunate, because mine go off for non-break-in-related reasons, like, the cupboard near the sun room was slammed too hard. On the other hand, my carbon monoxide and fire detectors trigger a call to the fire department whether my alarm is armed or not.

I guess they differ in the way they are set up. My glass break detectors only trigger a call to the police if my system is armed. Which is fortunate, because mine go off for non-break-in-related reasons, like, the cupboard near the sun room was slammed too hard. On the other hand, my carbon monoxide and fire detectors trigger a call to the fire department whether my alarm is armed or not.

I kept mine on “Stay” all the time I was in the house and not going outside. Perimeter and glass breakage armed even in the day. I couldn’t have motion detectors due to 4 legged friends.
My glass breakage was zoned and I knew which zone was which room.
The glass breakage went off twice in 11 years.
Once I was home. Once I was not.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads