GUILTY AK - Ashley Johnson-Barr, 10, Kotzebue, 6 Sep 2018 *Arrest*

Oh dear, I not only feel sorry for Ashley herself(sweetie:() but also feel deeply for the community, they all have to go on living there with each other, most of them know each other or are even related, I only hope this will make all the citizens feel closer to one another. It's really tough.

So Wilson admitted he lied to the feds yet he pleaded not guilty and wants a jury trial? What's he playing at? Does he somehow think he can get away with a 5-year sentence and skate on murder charges? If so he'd better think again:
It appears likely Wilson will face additional charges, although state and federal authorities have declined to comment on what those charges may be, and whether additional charges would be state, federal or possibly come from both jurisdictions.
Federal law does not allow for stand-alone murder charges unless the victim is a member of law enforcement or the crime happened on federal property.

However, if a death occurs during the commission of another crime -- like kidnapping or carjacking -- a defendant could be charged in the death, and face life imprisonment and possibly, the death penalty.

Prosecutors have established federal jurisdiction through Johnson-Barr's phone, which they classify as an "instrumentality of interstate commerce."

The Federal government can bring their own felony murder charges against him since Ashley died during a kidnapping. And they've also established federal charges because of the cell phone. And that's not even addressing what local prosecutors can do.

In any case Wilson is in deep doodoo and IMO will soon face multiple charges including murder. My heart goes out to her family and the Kotzebue community.

Alaska man pleads not guilty in connection with slain girl's disappearance

So Wilson admitted he lied to the feds yet he pleaded not guilty and wants a jury trial? What's he playing at? Does he somehow think he can get away with a 5-year sentence and skate on murder charges? If so he'd better think again:

The Federal government can bring their own felony murder charges against him since Ashley died during a kidnapping. And they've also established federal charges because of the cell phone. And that's not even addressing what local prosecutors can do.

In any case Wilson is in deep doodoo and IMO will soon face multiple charges including murder. My heart goes out to her family and the Kotzebue community.

Alaska man pleads not guilty in connection with slain girl's disappearance

Thank you for finding where they said additional charges will be coming! I started to think I imagined it. Unfortunately if they have findings of sexual assault that can also be a felony murder charge. Poor Ashley, I hope this guy rots.

Wilson was charged with 1st degree murder, kidnapping, 1st degree sexual abuse of a child, and tampering with evidence. Kotzebue man faces murder charges in 10-year-old girl's disappearance

"The Office of Special Prosecutions on Monday filed new state charges against 41-year-old Peter V. Wilson. Charges include three counts of murder in the first degree, kidnapping, four counts of sexual abuse of a minor in the first degree and tampering with evidence. Wilson faces up to 99 years in prison.

Ashley went missing on Sept. 6. Searchers found her body on Sept. 14. An autopsy revealed "signs of trauma that include strangulation and sexual abuse," according to a statement released by the Department of Law.

Ashley had defensive wounds on her hands.

Can someone explain the 3 counts of murder and 4 counts of sexual abuse? Why so many “counts”?

Link with details and timeline: Alaska man charged with murder, sex crimes in death of 10-year-old girl

In total, Wilson is accused of nine charges. “There are three counts of murder in the first degree alleging different theories of that murder, and one count of kidnapping, as well as four counts of sexual abuse of a minor in the first degree, and one count of tampering with physical evidence,” said Assistant AG with the Office of Special Prosecutions said.

I can't read (access) the article posted in #325 - is there a next court date in there?

TIA!

Niner, I see no new court date.

State charges 41-year-old in death of Kotzebue girl

I can't read (access) the article posted in #325 - is there a next court date in there?

TIA!

TIA!

Found it! Look like trial is set for Nov. 19:

Wilson entered a plea of not guilty on Sept. 21 in federal court in Anchorage to charges of making false statements to the FBI in relation to the child’s death. A jury trial date on those charges had been set for Nov. 19.

Kotzebue man charged in murder of Ashley Johnson-Barr -The Cordova Times

I thought maybe he would have an arraignment hearing on the murder charges now. No? I did have the trial date of 11/19 for the lying charges.
Just wondering about his murder charges.

If anyone sees a date for that - please post!
TIA!

Nothing yet. It says state and federal prosecutors will work together since there are both state and federal charges so we should hear something soon.

KOTZEBUE, Alaska (KTUU) - Peter Wilson of Kotzebue made his first formal appearance in court Tuesday afternoon for the kidnapping, sexual abuse and murder of a 10-year-old girl. His bail was set at $3 million.
[.....]
Magistrate Judge Aaron Michels read through the charges one by one, with the elements of each offense, and the possible sentences if found guilty. When he asked after each, "Do you understand that charge and possible penalty?" Wilson responded each time with "Yes, your honor."
Wilson could not enter a plea at Tuesday's hearing -- the felony charges are above the court's jurisdiction. The public defender agency was appointed to defend Wilson.
[.....]
The charges here are as serious as we see in our system," Michels, the Magistrate Judge, said. He found that release and non-monetary conditions would not ensure Wilson's appearance in court or the safety of the community.

If bail were to be reached, Wilson's bail conditions include no alcohol or controlled substances, no contact with any of the victim's family members, and no leaving the state.

Anyone find a court site that I can maybe access & see if there is the next court date set, since the article didn't say.... as usual!

Alaska man charged with murder, sex crimes in death of 10-year-old girl

Investigators used scent-detecting dogs, DNA, cell phone data and surveillance footage to piece together the events leading up to Ashley's disappearance and death.
[.....]
From there, here's what the investigative timeline shows:

- 5:00 - 6:00 pm: Ashley goes missing
- 5:20 pm: Wilson leaves on an ATV
- 6:06 pm: video footage shows "an ATV with what appears to be one male and one juvenile female (who appears to be wearing a pink sweatshirt) driving past the camera..." and "...can be seen heading down the road towards the location where A.J.B.'s body was found."
- 6:00 - 7:00 pm: Ashley's cell phone moves approximately two miles southeast of Kotzebue.
- 7:12 - 8:00 pm: No data records for Ashley's cell phone, consistent with the phone being in an area without cell service.
- 8:01 pm: Ashley's phone moves from the area southeast of Kotzebue back into the city.
- 10:40 pm: Ashley's phone is in an area near a house Wilson was staying at.
- 11:00 pm: Wilson goes to a friends house where he "seemed intoxicated," "unusually quiet," and then "passed out."
- 12:00 am: Wilson's friend hears a phone ringing, discovers Ashley's phone in Wilson's jacket pocket and calls Ashley's parents.
[.....]
Prosecutors say DNA found on Ashley matches a DNA profile obtained from Wilson.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back