Supreme Court Nominee

Should a person be judged on something done over 40 years ago?

• Yes

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Depends

Votes: 75 49.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
AP: Kavanaugh friend Mark Judge says he'll cooperate with any law enforcement agency that investigates 'confidentially.'

Does Judge get to define the terms of an FBI investigation? I understand his wanting confidentiality (so did Ford), but this sounds a bit arrogant and entitled, kinda like BK.

Feinstein rails against Kavanaugh's 'aggressive and belligerent' behavior

The fiery testimony from Brett Kavanaugh on Thursday has drawn rebukes from members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, with some saying his temperament shows he's unfit to serve on the nation's highest court.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the committee's ranking member, said she has not seen a judicial nominee behave in that manner before.

"This was not someone who reflected an impartial temperament or the fairness and even handedness one would see in a judge. This was someone who was aggressive and belligerent. I have never seen someone who wants to be elevated to the highest court in our country behave in that manner," Feinstein said.

Not a Clinton conspiracy. Gorsuch was approved because there weren't multiple allegations of sexual misconduct and perjury. Are you listening to any of the evidence? Maybe Fox news promoting the Clinton conspiracy?

If Gorsuch was up for this nomination at this time, I suspect his nomination would have been railroaded in some way.

Oh I’m listening to the evidence all right....there is none. None of Ford’s witnesses could corroborate her allegations.

Sad. A woman can come forward with a credible claim of sexual assault but if the accused is a Yale graduate, cries, throw tantrums, insults women, and LIES he can get away with it and get confirmed to Supreme Court, enabled by more men. It takes women in this country back 100 years which is what Cryin' Brett wants to do by taking their reproductive rights. He even wrongly referred to contraceptives as "abortion causing drugs" during his testimony. Unbelievable in 2018.

Kavanaugh is a devout Catholic. He believes, as many people do, that a drug that prevents a fertilized ovum from implanting is abortifacient.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a requirement to be admitted to the bar in every state though AFAIK. Saying bar exam specifically was an error if I did so, sorry! Because even if you apply to a state without taking the exam you have to submit all your background info and a character and fitness evaluation.
So being questioned isn't something new to him. This might have been the toughest examination, but it certainly wasn't his first. I'm surprised he wasn't prepared to present himself in a better light. (I'm not talking about the allegations but his reaction to them yesterday.)

jmo

Senator John Cornyn: “theres going to be a supplemental FBI background Investigation”

This really is the best way to go forward at this point. But it should happen promptly and without delay.

But will it make a difference? They say the FBI doesn’t conclude anything, so what happens when the FBI investigation doesn’t conclude anything?

Last edited:
I think it's great that the FBI..is going to become involved to do a further background check.

I do think even Flake..since he voted to move the nominee out for confirmation and other republicans will only agree to a one week delay which is very reasonable since there are only 4 people per Dr. Ford. I am sure the investigators from both parties will turnover their evidence to the FBI as well.

I think this may turnout to be the best move yet.
I admit I'm feeling cynical. I don't want to, but I am. In a week's time, there will be some other news story that everyone is looking at and this vote will be old news. And when the vote happens, it will be like, "Oh yeah. Didn't that already happen last week? Whatever."

Our collective attention span is....oh, look! Something shiny!

jmo

I’ll just plop this down here, the underlined part done by me:

JUDICIAL STANDARDS
Since President Dwight D. Eisenhower first requested the ABA’s participation in 1953, the committee has assessed judicial candidates on three metrics: professional competence, integrity and judicial temperament. In an in-depth backgrounder (PDF) on the committee’s policies, the three standards are explained:

When the committee evaluates “integrity,” it considers the nominee’s character and general reputation in the legal community, as well as the nominee’s industry and diligence.

“Professional competence” encompasses such qualities as intellectual capacity, judgment, writing and analytical abilities, knowledge of the law and breadth of professional experience.

In evaluating “judicial temperament,” the committee considers the nominee’s compassion, decisiveness, open-mindedness, courtesy, patience, freedom from bias and commitment to equal justice under the law.

Its ratings system under fire, ABA stresses importance of federal judicial candidate evaluations

So being questioned isn't something new to him. This might have been the toughest examination, but it certainly wasn't his first. I'm surprised he wasn't prepared to present himself in a better light. (I'm not talking about the allegations but his reaction to them yesterday.)

jmo
Correct. I believe he said he had gone through 6 inquiries, or this was his 6th. But he seemed to cite that history as tending to show the allegations were false because he's been found to have character and fitness for the legal profession over and over. Granted, this is the toughest of them all, but I thought it was a valid statement while still completely understanding why Dr. Ford came forward this time instead of any earlier.

JUDICIAL STANDARDS
Since President Dwight D. Eisenhower first requested the ABA’s participation in 1953, the committee has assessed judicial candidates on three metrics: professional competence, integrity and judicial temperament. In an in-depth backgrounder (PDF) on the committee’s policies, the three standards are explained:

When the committee evaluates “integrity,” it considers the nominee’s character and general reputation in the legal community, as well as the nominee’s industry and diligence.

“Professional competence” encompasses such qualities as intellectual capacity, judgment, writing and analytical abilities, knowledge of the law and breadth of professional experience.

In evaluating “judicial temperament,” the committee considers the nominee’s compassion, decisiveness, open-mindedness, courtesy, patience, freedom from bias and commitment to equal justice under the law.

Its ratings system under fire, ABA stresses importance of federal judicial candidate evaluations
Thank you for finding the actual standard and language, much appreciated!

JUDICIAL STANDARDS

Using the list of underlined qualities as a checklist, I think he could get one check for "decisiveness," I'll give him that.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member