GUILTY AK - Ashley Johnson-Barr, 10, Kotzebue, 6 Sep 2018 *Arrest*

Wilson's younger sister, Albertha Wilson, told the Daily News that on another occasion Peter Wilson sexually abused her and another child. "I know lots of sexual predators are going to read (this) and I want to tell them all, they won't get away with it no longer," Albertha Wilson said. "I'm making a stand."

Albertha Wilson told the Daily News she was three when Peter Wilson sexually abused her and another child when they had lived in Anchorage when Peter Wilson had been babysitting. In later years, Albertha said Peter had called and apologized.
Props to this young lady for speaking out! It must be so hard to come forward in such a small community. I hope things have changed enough in our society to where she will be surrounded by loving arms and not made to be a pariah like in the past. Most of all I'm glad that she was able to look inside herself and see the truth. That's the first step towards healing IMO.
"I swear to God I didn't. Just because I'm his sister, I kept telling myself he wouldn't kill a little baby," she said. "But everything else that happened, it all made sense. He did it to us when we were babies."

Wilson needs to go away forever.
One of Wilson’s cousins told the Daily News that he had “raped her more than 40 times” in 1996 when she was 12 and Wilson was 18.

The cousin described the first attack. "I was fighting him and trying to get him off of me so he choked me," she said. The cousin also said the initial attack led to a four-month nightmare of rapes and beatings in the remote Northwest Arctic Borough village of Kiana.

Props to this young lady for speaking out! It must be so hard to come forward in such a small community. I hope things have changed enough in our society to where she will be surrounded by loving arms and not made to be a pariah like in the past. Most of all I'm glad that she was able to look inside herself and see the truth. That's the first step towards healing IMO.

Wilson needs to go away forever.

The cousin said she told Wilson's parents about the attacks. She said they accused her of lying and encouraged her not to tell others. The last time Wilson raped her, the woman said, he caught her near the village school, by a back road along the tundra.

"I got scared to go out anywhere in public because I was afraid I would see him," the woman said. She left Kiana and finished school in a different community, living with a friend.

"I knew the only way it would stop was to move away where he couldn't find me," she said.

"I felt guilty for what happened to Ashley. I blamed myself for not coming forward to tell everyone what had happened," she said. "If I told someone and got him into trouble long time ago, I thought that would've stopped him for what he did to Ashley."

She hopes to press charges against Wilson for the 1996 Kiana attacks, she said. She said she recently described the attacks to Alaska State Troopers.

The statute of limitations on sexual assault cases might depend on the age of the victim and the timing of the offense, said Gruenstein, the state prosecutor.

Under Alaska law, sexual abuse of a minor that occurred after September 1992 might be eligible for criminal charges to be filed, Gruenstein said, speaking generally and not about accusations against Wilson specifically.

Wilson's cousin and sister were children at the time of the alleged abuse and both recall telling adults about what happened. "It was buried in the back of all our minds," Albertha said.

Two women say Kotzebue man charged with killing 10-year-old had previously abused them as girls

Last edited:
This is just breaking my heart all over again. I hope Alaska will charge him for his past abuses. Those victims deserve justice too. I can't imagine what they are living with now, it's just horrific. They were little girls and no one protected them.

I also very much hope they will pursue charges. And I hope the resilience the community has displayed so far will extend to other victims of abuse. Justice for Ashley should include protecting other children from abuse and providing them with safe havens when they speak out.

Two women say Kotzebue man charged with killing 10-year-old had previously abused them as girls

"...The women agreed to interviews with the Daily News as authorities investigate the history and past whereabouts of 41-year-old Wilson, who is charged with raping and killing Ashley Johnson-Barr on Sept. 6. The case shocked Kotzebue and the state, raising questions about the possibility of additional victims...."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's high time the legislators in Alaska do something about this situation.

Alaska Man's Revelation Shine A Light On Sex Abuse In The State

Thank you for linking this.

Given the polarization at the national level over sexual assault, I don’t hold out much hope for higher level action in the short term. I have more hope at the community level. Children need to feel they have a safe haven to report abuse. I’m so sorry that PW’s previous victims weren’t afforded that safety. I applaud them for speaking out now and I hope it makes a difference for other children.

Thank you for linking this.

Given the polarization at the national level over sexual assault, I don’t hold out much hope for higher level action in the short term. I have more hope at the community level. Children need to feel they have a safe haven to report abuse. I’m so sorry that PW’s previous victims weren’t afforded that safety. I applaud them for speaking out now and I hope it makes a difference for other children.

If we're going to come together on anything nationally I'd hope it's to protect children from life-altering molestation and exploitation.

Sad Update About The Rape And Murder Of 10-Year-Old Ashley Johnson-Barr

October 5, 2018

"He is accused of sexual assault by other relatives.

Peter Vance Wilson has been charged with the murder of a 10-year-old Alaskan girl who went missing last month.

Ashley Johnson-Barr's disappearance shocked the small arctic town of Kotzebue and her suspected killer is none other than a relative that gave locals the creeps.

Wilson, 41, was first charged with lying to the FBI and has now been accused of sexually abusing and strangling the fifth grader to death after DNA evidence, interviews, and surveillance footage linked him to the crime, according to an affidavit filed by an FBI agent. He denied making false statements to authorities and pleaded not guilty to the charge...."

Sad Update About The Rape And Murder Of 10-Year-Old Ashley Johnson-Barr

Her fathers posts continue to alarm me with him saying he wants to dig her up and lay with her and now this article. It is just heartbreaking

Alaskans must do a better job of understanding this severity

On September 6, a little girl, Ashley Johnson-Barr, played at her local park in Kotzebue. She will never return to play there again. Her body was found on September 14. The autopsy conducted by the State Medical Examiner’s Office revealed “signs of trauma that include strangulation and sexual abuse,” according to a statement released by the Department of Law. The same autopsy reported “distinct ligature marks” around her neck, facial injuries and “large amounts of mud/debris” on her body. According to Richard Harruff, Chief Medical Examiner of the Seattle-King County Medical Examiner’s office, ligature marks are visual results of strangulation. Dr. Harruff outlines two types of strangulation – manual and ligature. Manual is where a person uses their hands to compress the neck. Ligature strangulation refers to “neck compression produced by an object that can be used for tying, such as a rope, cord, belt, shoelace, wire or electrical cable.” Ashley Johnson-Barr, like the victim in the recent Schneider case, experienced strangulation. These victims were not choked; they were strangled. Strangulation is a violent and effective tactic that is misunderstood, deadly, and consistently downplayed.
Strangulation results in cerebral hypoxia – meaning there is not enough oxygen delivered to the brain to maintain its function resulting in a loss of consciousness. A victim who is being strangled may lose consciousness in as little as 10 seconds – 10 seconds often filled with confusion, disorientation, and disbelief. If strangulation stops oxygen for a longer period of time – say four minutes – they could die. If victims consistently experience non-fatal strangulation and areas of the brain don’t get enough oxygen or neurological input, they may experience diminished brain functioning, memory loss, and small strokes. Strangulation victims can be strangled with no physical signs or symptoms on their body. Without physical injuries, victims themselves, family members, health care providers, and other first responders may assume that there is little danger or injury. However, a victim who has been strangled can continue to develop symptoms such as swollen airways and difficulty breathing for up to three days. Even without physical marks, a victim who has been strangled can die three to four days later.
Alaskans must do a better job of understanding the severity of strangulation, in order to protect victims. One way is to learn how tactics work, and to use the correct terms when describing them. Victims who are strangled are not ‘choked’ and do not ‘pass out’, even though it is often described that way. Victims lose consciousness because there is an intentional act to cut off oxygen flow to their brains. Strangulation is linked to an increased risk of homicide. Dr. Nancy Glass reported in 2008 that non-fatal strangulation is an important risk factor for homicide in domestic violence victims. When victims report that their partners have “choked” them – even if there are no marks – those victims are at higher risk of being murdered by their partner. Strangulation is deadly and it should never be taken lightly.
Alaskans must collectively do more to support victims, listen to their experiences, and provide relevant and timely services. Acknowledging what we know to be true is a good place to start. The recently released 2016 Felony Level Sex Offense Crime in Alaska Supplemental Report highlights the following:
The most common victim is a 14 year old female.
The most common suspect is a 19 year old male.
The most common space where the assault occurs is in the home.
Alaska has one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the country and is especially dangerous for Alaska Native women and girls who continue to experience the highest rates of sex offence victimization across all age groups. The dangers that women and girls currently face in our communities is profound.
Now is the time to act. Contact your local domestic violence and sexual assault program in your community and ask what you can do. Contact the Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault to learn more about sexual assault and domestic violence prevention and intervention efforts in our state.
As Alaskans we can lift each other up, hold each other accountable, and protect the most vulnerable. It is our collective responsibility.
Carmen Lowry, PhD, is the Executive Director of the Alaska Network on Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault. Dr. Tracey Wiese, APRN, FNP-BC, PMHNP-BC is an Advanced Nurse Practitioner certified in both Family Practice and Psychiatric Mental Health.

The autopsy conducted by the State Medical Examiner’s Office revealed “signs of trauma that include strangulation and sexual abuse,” according to a statement released by the Department of Law. The same autopsy reported “distinct ligature marks” around her neck, facial injuries and “large amounts of mud/debris” on her body. According to Richard Harruff, chief medical examiner of the Seattle-King County Medical Examiner’s office, ligature marks are visual results of strangulation. Dr. Harruff outlines two types of strangulation — manual and ligature. Manual is where a person uses their hands to compress the neck. Ligature strangulation refers to “neck compression produced by an object that can be used for tying, such as a rope, cord, belt, shoelace, wire or electrical cable.”
Strangulation is a deadly tactic

This is how Alaska dealt with a recent strangling assault (a different but current case)

No jail time for man who pleaded guilty in strangling assault

That outcome is horrific; the assaulter (who accepted a plea deal) is a free man and doesn’t need to register as a sex offender.

I can only think that the DA didn’t place much credibility on the assaulted woman’s account. The account and article hint that she may have been a sex worker, though she explicitly denies this in the complaint. Wouldn’t be the first time a “good man” was allowed a chance at redemption while the damage to the victim(s) is overlooked by other “good men.”

That outcome is horrific; the assaulter (who accepted a plea deal) is a free man and doesn’t need to register as a sex offender.

I can only think that the DA didn’t place much credibility on the assaulted woman’s account. The account and article hint that she may have been a sex worker, though she explicitly denies this in the complaint. Wouldn’t be the first time a “good man” was allowed a chance at redemption while the damage to the victim(s) is overlooked by other “good men.”
The plight of native women (and men) who come to, or have to come to Anchorage is often rough. Far from home, they have to stay where they can, with others, while they get ready to go back to their villages. Sometimes in the winter it's 20 below and much colder. But in this case I doubt that it was an agreed upon sex encounter, it was the day time, and she wanted a ride to her boyfriend's, and, afterwards she called 911 and went to the native hospital which I don't think, IMO, she would have had it have been a hookup. It sounds like they reduced the perp's sentence because they could not reliably find her for testifying, but IMO that means they didn't try hard enough. Anchorage is a small place. I just posted that article because it often happens that justice in native villages, or to native women who get assaulted in the big city is not equal to the justice a white person would get. (IMO) I hope that person Wilson who killed the girl in Kotzebue and who raped relatives gets the book thrown at him. He choked a woman and sexually assaulted her. Why was his sentence so lenient?

Wednesday, Nov. 7th:
*Omnibus Hearing (@ 10:30am AKT) – AK – Ashley Johnson-Barr (10) (Sept. 6, 2018, Kotzebue; found Sept. 14, 2018) - *Peter Vance Wilson (41) arrested (9/15/18), charged (9/24/18) & arraigned (9/25/18) with 1 count of murder-intent to cause death in the 1st degree, 2 counts of Murder-sexual assault/kidnapping of child, 1 count of kidnapping-injury/sexual assault, 4 counts of sexual abuse/penetrate of a minor in the 1st degree & 1 count of tampering with evidence. Wilson faces up to 99 years in prison. $3M bond.
9/25/18 Update: Arraignment hearing: entered no plea, assigned a public defender & bond set at $3M. Officially charged with: 1 count of Murder-intent to cause death, 2 counts Murder-sexual assault/kidnapping of child, 1 count of kidnapping-injury/sexual assault, 4 counts of Sexual abuse/penetrate, 1 count of tampering with evidence. Next prelim hearing on 10/4.
10/4/18 Update: Next Omnibus hearing on 11/7.
Also charged (9/17/18) & indicted (9/20/18) of making false statements to a federal agent. The charge filed against Wilson centers on accusations that he lied to law enforcement, particularly in regards to Johnson-Barr's cell phone, which is said to have led authorities to her body Friday evening. Plead not guilty.
9/18/18 Update: First court appearance. Was appointed a Public Defender. Allegedly told investigators he didn’t know Ashley Johnson-Barr, didn’t see her name on the home screen of the cell phone he told investigators he found in the street, and didn’t use a four-wheeler the day of her disappearance. Investigators found evidence they say refutes all those claims as they searched for the girl, who was found dead more than a quarter mile off a road.
9/21/18: Arraignment hearing: Plead not guilty. The maximum penalty for making false statements could be five years in prison, three years of supervised release, and a $250,000 fine. Trial on 11/19/18.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back