CA CA - Gail D. Skelton, 26, Galt/Stockton, 26 September 1980

I agree the problem is likely a lack of resources. However, sometimes they will re-open a case due to public pressure or renewed media attention. I hope we can find out if Gail's case is still open. If it's been closed by LE will that hinder getting her into NAMUS?

Maybe the next step is to get a journalist to take notice? JR's blog post should help with this, IMO. This case is full of mystery. It would be perfect for a TV program like "Disappeared" or a Dateline special. JMO.

The day J. posted her blog post I also tried reaching out to http://www.recordnet.com/news however the "submit a story" function is broken and when I tried emailing the email at the bottom (supposed to be for press releases but lol whatever) it bounced back.

I will try forwarding to other addresses on recordnet. That might set this thing in motion. If not, I will reach out to another news site, CBS and Fox probably. Even Fox News is better than no news.

Gail Skelton vanished on September 26 from a party at Herman and Helen’s Marina on Empire Tract, some 14 miles southwest of Lodi at the western end of Eight Mile Road.

Started googling where she went missing, from "near Stockton". Turns out Herman and Helen's closed a few years ago.

http://www.recordnet.com/news/20171005/fitzgerald-hottest-mess-in-delta

Per link:

The hottest mess in the entire California Bay-Delta is probably Herman and Helen’s Marina near Stockton: a story involving everything from a missing owner to ship parts from the Love Boat.Owner Dave Johnson allegedly stiffed creditors and closed the marina several years ago. Before he did, though, Johnson invited several outsized vessels to dock there. He hoped they would be a tourist attraction.
[...]

The county contends the marina’s use permit allows only for small pleasure craft. They are suing to keep the marina closed until the boats go and the other alleged violations are fixed.
Problem one: They can’t find Johnson. The previous owners sold the marina to Johnson for $1 and the promise he’d pay $1.6 million. He has disappeared.
Problem two: The lender, John Compagna of Walnut Creek, refuses to complete the foreclosure and take ownership.
“He is not interested in pursuing foreclosure if the county is interested in holding him responsible for things that have happened before the foreclosure,” said Compagna’s attorney, David A. Diepenbrock.

They had a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Herman-Helens-Marina-154752231228574/

Received a really great email today!

Dear [rats],

Gail Deann Skelton’s profile has been included onto the California Attorney General’s Office Internet website for missing persons. I have attached a copy of the flyer.

Sincerely,

California Department of Justice
Missing & Unidentified Persons Section
P.O. Box 903387
Sacramento, CA 94203-3870
(916) 210-3119
Missing.Persons@doj.ca.gov

Here was the attached flyer:

attachment.php

Missing since: 09/26/1980
Sex: Female
DOB: 01/28/1954
Race: White
Height: 5'4"
Eyes: Blue
Weight: 115 lbs
Hair: Brown
AKA: Gail Deann Brewer
Clothing: Blue plaid flannel shirt and blue jeans
Dental X-Rays Available: Yes

Contact Agency: San Joaquin Sherrif's Department.
Phone Number: (209) 468 - 4412
Case Number: 80-19349

Attachments

• Gail Skelton flyer.jpg
    Gail Skelton flyer.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 275
I contacted Charley Project to have Gail added, but someone has already reached out, so I'm hoping she'll be added soon.

That was me! I reached out when J's blog post was added, and again today when I found out that there was a case number on the CDOJ website.

Next step is either contacting NamUs again and seeing where we're at or reaching out to someone on here to possibly make a NamUs profile for her. But that comes AFTER NamUs 2.0... Which (of course) haaaad to coincide with WS moving over. ugh lol.

That was me! I reached out when J's blog post was added, and again today when I found out that there was a case number on the CDOJ website.

Next step is either contacting NamUs again and seeing where we're at or reaching out to someone on here to possibly make a NamUs profile for her. But that comes AFTER NamUs 2.0... Which (of course) haaaad to coincide with WS moving over. ugh lol.

Will enter her when NamUs comes back up if Dustin hasn't done it.

Great job!

I just found this case and read Jaime Rubio's web site. Such unusual cases! So sad two bright young people who loved each other disappeared/died under such unusual circumstances.

Fantastic work by all of you to get these cases on the record. Great work, Jaime in pursuing answers for your father's childhood pal. Let me know if I can help. Maybe next week I'll use my newspapers.com subscription to research more information on them and the places they worked and lived.

ETA: From what I've read so far, I just can't see a reason for Ms Gail Skelton to vanish on her own. There doesn't seem to be any reason for her to do that. She wasn't in a bad relationship, she had a future ahead of her, though she had tragically lost her fiance. She was working and socializing with people. Didn't have financial or business problems.

This girl is not in any MP sites or anything, but member J Rubio and I spoke before they made an account, and has been in contact with family, who say that there was a missing person's report.

What is known:

Gail Deann Skelton disappeared 26 September 1980. She was 26 years old. According to J Rubio, her car was never found - I will let them do most of the talking for this case.

Gail has not appeared on any missing persons sites that I can see, however, a family member lists her as "missing, presumed dead" on Ancestry.com, and there is a headstone for her that states the day she went missing in the Galt, California cemetery. Gardener1850 found a listing for her on find a grave, and has been diligently looking ever since.

According to the family tree as well as Ancestry.com records, Gail was married twice - one with the surname Brewer in 1973, div. 1974, and once in April 1980 (the year she went missing), to someone with the surname Garcia. HOWEVER. J Rubio states that there was also a fiancé, who I will refer to as P. P died under "strange" circumstances in June 1980, and Gail disappeared in September. How she has a fiancé when she was also married to someone is unknown - again, JR should do the talking here as they are intimately familiar with the case.

folieadeuxnola, I would really appreciate it if you could post the pictures you found of her from Galt High School on this thread.

Her find a grave profile is here: Gail D. Skelton (1954-1980) - Find A Grave...

Gail has been suggested to Walker County Jane Doe and Arroyo Grande Jane Doe's threads.

I have emailed the Galt Police Department to see if there is a missing person's case that is still active, how to reactivate it, et cetera. Both of Gail's parents are dead, as is a sister, but according to family tree sites there are two brothers that are still living. I will also contact Dustin Driscoll to see about adding her to NamUs, probably, it depends on how the conversation with Galt PD goes.

Thank you for bringing this missing case up here Rats

MOTHER’S DAILY EFFORT FAILS TO FIND MISSING DAUGHTER
By Mike Stuckey (Lodi News Sentinel, January 29, 1981)

“On Wednesday, Norma Skelton made the drive from Galt to Lodi to buy a birthday cake for her daughter Gail. “She would have been 27 years old or she is 27 years old today,” Mrs. Skelton said during a brief visit to the News-Sentinel.

Mrs. Skelton does not know what to believe because she has not seen her daughter for more than three months. Gail Skelton vanished on September 26 from a party at Herman and Helen’s Marina on Empire Tract, some 14 miles southwest of Lodi at the western end of Eight Mile Road. Substantial clues to 5 foot 2 inch, 115 pound woman’s whereabouts have yet to be found.

Sheriff’s detectives have scoured the area from which the young woman disappeared and they have talked to numerous potential witnesses. They have found no trace of the woman or the 1978 blue two-door Toyota she owned when she turned up missing.

“We don’t know,” says sheriff’s detective commander Dave Derksen. “We have no idea” what happened to Gail Skelton.

The closest that detective have come to a break in the case developed recently. With the help of a hypnotist, detectives produced a composite drawing of a man who may be connected in some way to the disappearance of Gail Skelton.

“We’ve got a composite drawing of the last person to have seen her,” Derksen says. He pauses. “Supposedly,” he is careful to add.

The information for the composite drawing came from an employee at the marina. The employee, a young woman who came to work as Miss Skelton was supposed to be leaving, told investigators that she subject of the drawing was a patron at the bar.

“They said they saw him around there earlier,” Derksen said. While detectives had been aware of this information for some time, “we got a better detailed composite of him by using a hypnotist.”

But the composite drawing—of a white man, 25-30 years old, with dark hair, over 6 feet tall and thin build – hasn’t been much help to detectives who are working the case, Derksen said. “We can’t identify him.”

The mystery of the case is heightened by the fact that Miss Skelton’s fiancée, 30 year old Pat Malone, disappeared June 19 from a boat on the Delta. Malone’s body was recovered from the water near where his boat had been discovered, 11 miles west of Lodi, after an eight day search.

Malone had a high level of alcohol in his system at the time of his death, according to the coroner’s report, and authorities theorize that his drowning was an accident. ****

There is no reason to connect the cases, investigators say, but they admit that the two incidents are surrounded by “a lot of strangeness,” in the words of Detective Nancy Sumers.

Perhaps the most tireless investigator in the case has been Mrs. Skelton herself. Mrs. Skelton has spent days searching the Delta by boat and by car since her daughter disappeared. She has looked over the roads and levees in the area. She has taped bamboo poles together and poked them into the water near the bridge from King Island to Empire Tract. Mrs. Skelton and detectives believe that Gail’s car may have gone out of control and plunged into the water somewhere.

Mrs. Skelton also has spent a great deal of time talking to her daughter’s friends, business associates, anybody who may be able to produce a new lead. She has done some of her own looking into the new facet of the case, that the man in the composite drawing may have had something to do with Gail’s disappearance.

“This guy came into the marina and was sitting at the bar harassing her or wanting her to go places and she refused,” Mrs. Skelton says. She claims that the hypnotist’s entry into the case has brought out another detail. The young woman interviewed by the hypnotist reported that Gail, “had a few drinks but she was not sloppy drunk as had earlier been reported,” says Mrs. Skelton.

With new details in hand, Mrs. Skelton says, “I’ve been running the rivers and I’ve called everybody and showed everybody this (composite) picture. Nobody seems to know him. Nobody wants to talk,” She adds with frustration.

Stress on the Skelton family – Gail’s mother, her father, her two brothers and a sister—has increased with every week that the young woman’s fate remains uncertain, Mrs. Skelton says.

Gail “was getting over” Malone’s death when she vanished, according to Mrs. Skelton, and the family does not believe the woman disappeared of her own accord. She had some problems to work out, Mrs. Skelton says, but “no more than normal or anybody else….nothing pressing financially.”

“She didn’t have to answer to anybody. She didn’t have half the problems married people have…this is all wrong for her to go off and not let anybody know.”

Gail’s passion was the Delta. She and Malone, who lived together on a houseboat, “were on that water all the time,” Mrs. Skelton recalls.

Malone and Gail, ardent foes of the Peripheral Canal, were involved in the development of a project known as “Irish Isles,” in the Stockton Deep Water Channel, described by Mrs. Skelton as a tourist attraction of sorts.

Malone’s pride in his Irish heritage became a part of the couple’s wedding plans--- they were to be married on St. Patrick’s Day of this year. “Their future was really going to be fantastic,” says Mrs. Skelton.

But now the future for Mrs. Skelton has become a series of uncertain days. Although she is troubled by heart problems, she continues to keep in touch with sheriff’s detectives, newspapers, almost anyone who might help her find Gail.

“I want my daughter,” she says. “I want to know what’s happened to her even if she’s in the bottom of the river.”

Persons who believe they may have information on the young woman’s whereabouts should call sheriff’s detectives in Stockton at 944-2141. “---------------

What a horror story....so sorry for the family.

Welcome, churchmouse!

Meaghan from the Charley Project would probably be interested in this case, but I think we need to get confirmation from police first that she is still missing, because Meaghan pretty much only adds cases when she knows they are fully reported missing (and while we have proof via the newspaper article I'm sure she'd like the backup).

Yes, she is :Gail Deann Skelton – The Charley Project

Besides, if she had married twice, where were her husbands?

Sitting at work talking to my coworker about my cousin that went missing when I was 5 years old. I decided to google her, although nothing ever comes up. But this time was different, I found her high school picture and followed it to this site. Thank-you, All! For your effort to solve this horrible mystery that my family has lived with for 38 years. Gail's mother Norma and my grandmother were sisters. My aunt Norma outlived all of her siblings despite illness, in hopes of finding her daughter.

I don't have much to add, as I was 5 at the time. But I can confirm that Gail is still missing. Her two brothers are still alive. One resides in the Skelton family home in Galt, but I am not in touch with him. However, I am in contact with her older brother and he is also in Northern California.

As for the address in Stockton, that is a real head-scratcher, as I grew up in Stockton and don't recall any of the family members living on Carlton Ave between 1995 and 2004, but I texted my older cousin and don't quite understand her reply. She said her cousins on her father's side (not related to Gail) lives on Carlton Ave. According to Spokeo, Gail is listed as a current resident if I am reading it correctly. I am tempted to drive by and see for myself. The Carlton address is interesting because we have cousins who live nearby. Somebody would have recognized her. And doesn't seem like Gail would take-off and never return... Her immediate family has suffered so many losses, from her first nephew Aaron Skelton (in 93 in a car accident), to her father, sister, and mother. My aunt never moved in case Gail was found or returned. My heart grieves for my aunt Norma, as she died not knowing what happened to her daughter.

As I mentioned I was 5 when she disappeared, so I don't know anything about prior marriages, but I can also ask my older cousin, since Gail and her are in the same generation. I may ask her brother as well. I know he took her disappearance very hard. Not knowing is extremely painful for the family, especially for her immediate family. I was in-tow when my grandmother was out looking for her. I believe we spoke to a landlord at the Marina, where she lived on a houseboat. I remember visiting her a few days prior to her disappearance. She was in relatively good spirits considering the tragedy that had befallen her fiancé Pat, and by all accounts was managing her grief. But it was still fairly new from what I remember. And she could have been pretending to be a little upbeat, so my aunt and grandma did not worry about her.

Anyway, thank-you again for getting her case posted. I can't believe that after 38 years, we still do not have answers. :'(

Sitting at work talking to my coworker about my cousin that went missing when I was 5 years old. I decided to google her, although nothing ever comes up. But this time was different, I found her high school picture and followed it to this site. Thank-you, All! For your effort to solve this horrible mystery that my family has lived with for 38 years. Gail's mother Norma and my grandmother were sisters. My aunt Norma outlived all of her siblings despite illness, in hopes of finding her daughter.

I don't have much to add, as I was 5 at the time. But I can confirm that Gail is still missing. Her two brothers are still alive. One resides in the Skelton family home in Galt, but I am not in touch with him. However, I am in contact with her older brother and he is also in Northern California.

As for the address in Stockton, that is a real head-scratcher, as I grew up in Stockton and don't recall any of the family members living on Carlton Ave between 1995 and 2004, but I texted my older cousin and don't quite understand her reply. She said her cousins on her father's side (not related to Gail) lives on Carlton Ave. According to Spokeo, Gail is listed as a current resident if I am reading it correctly. I am tempted to drive by and see for myself. The Carlton address is interesting because we have cousins who live nearby. Somebody would have recognized her. And doesn't seem like Gail would take-off and never return... Her immediate family has suffered so many losses, from her first nephew Aaron Skelton (in 93 in a car accident), to her father, sister, and mother. My aunt never moved in case Gail was found or returned. My heart grieves for my aunt Norma, as she died not knowing what happened to her daughter.

As I mentioned I was 5 when she disappeared, so I don't know anything about prior marriages, but I can also ask my older cousin, since Gail and her are in the same generation. I may ask her brother as well. I know he took her disappearance very hard. Not knowing is extremely painful for the family, especially for her immediate family. I was in-tow when my grandmother was out looking for her. I believe we spoke to a landlord at the Marina, where she lived on a houseboat. I remember visiting her a few days prior to her disappearance. She was in relatively good spirits considering the tragedy that had befallen her fiancé Pat, and by all accounts was managing her grief. But it was still fairly new from what I remember. And she could have been pretending to be a little upbeat, so my aunt and grandma did not worry about her.

Anyway, thank-you again for getting her case posted. I can't believe that after 38 years, we still do not have answers. :'(

Welcome GRS! I'm so sorry your cousin is still missing after all these years. I pray that your family will have answers someday soon.

Hi J Rubio, Thankyou for your blog, so sad they had a great life ahead of them. I have found Patrick’s Memorial which has some more information for you, also just noting his birthplace was California (which is also in Ancestry Records)

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/190921953/patrick-robert-malone

Patrick Robert Malone

BIRTH 5 Sep 1949
Santa Ana, Orange County, California, USA
DEATH 20 Jun 1980 (aged 30)
Stockton, San Joaquin County, California, USA
BURIAL Cremated, Ashes scattered, Specifically: Ashes scattered from an airplane flown by his fiancee, Gail Skelton
MEMORIAL ID 190921953 · View Source

The ashes of Patrick Malone, 30, a houseboat rental employee who drowned in the Mokelumne River, will be scattered over the Delta, which had become the focus of his life.
A funeral services for Mr. Malone will be held at 1 p.. Tuesday in the B.C. Wallace & Son Chapel. His father, Robert Malone, said the ashed will be scattered from an airpane flown by his son's fiance, Gail Skelton.
Mr. Malone's body was found in the water by sheriff's deputies Thursday, about 200 yards from where a boat he had operated was found empty six days before. The boat was nosed into the west bank of the Mokelumne River across from Hog Slough.
Sgt. Wil Vieira, commander of the Sheriff's Department boat patrols, theorized that Mr. Malone lost his balance and fell out of the boat, which was found with its ignition on and at nearly full throttle. The accident occured shortly after midnight June 19.
Mr. Malone and his father had been working for nearly four years to obtain permits to build a marina, to be called Irish Isles, on Headreach Island in the Stockton Deepwater Channel. Mr. Malone and his fiance planned to be married there next St. Patrick's Day.
Born in Santa Ana, Mr. Malone graduated from Anaheim High School and obtained an associate in arts degree in computer technology from Fullerton Junior College. He worked in the insurance field in Southern California but moved to the Stockton area in August 1975 and made the Delta his primary interest.
He lived first on a house-boat and then in a two-story boathouse at Holiday Floatels-Delta on Disappointment Slough and worked in various capacities at many area marinas.
He was active in the San Joaquin Delta Marine Association, of which his father is president, and was doing research for a book on the history of the Delta.
Mr. Malone handled rental reservations and assisted renters on shakedowns for Holiday Floatels-Delta and made service calls for customers when necessary.
Besides his parents, Mr. Malone is survived by a brother, Michael Malone of Stockton; a son, Kelly, in Orange County, and his grandmother.
Stockton Record June 30, 1980

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back