Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bravehearts founder Hetty Johnston said it was “about time” the issue of placing foster children in government-run “childrens homes” was revisited.

“I believe the government should look at this, I’ve been saying this for a long time,” she said.

“Those institutions (for children in the past) were horrible and they never worked, but it wasn’t the institutions’ fault, it was the people who ran them.
Category: | The Courier Mail
Bravehearts founder calls for the reintroduction of institutional care in the wake of Tiahleigh Palmer death

I am of the opinion we need to turn the clock back - some. Learn from the past and do things differently. Prisons, mental health, foster care and yes aged care.
We have persons with severe mental illnesses living in the community, because we do not have the facilities to house them elsewhere. Long term beds are few.
Are those living with a mental illness in the community being monitored adequately to ensure they are not a risk to themselves or others? How many of the 4000 on the register have a known mental illness?
That is not an excuse of course - I just wonder?
imo

I wonder what kind of housing is Hetty thinking of, big institutions like the Parramatta Girls home, large houses with ‘house mums’ or something like nursing homes with their own ensuites. Nevertheless the watchful care would have to paramount. We know what’s been happening in a couple of our nursing homes lately.

At least Hetty has got a thinking hat on.
My GF is a house mum who looks after several disadvantaged people where she cooks, cleans, takes them on outings, say to the bank.
Just thinking.

I wonder what kind of housing is Hetty thinking of, big institutions like the Parramatta Girls home, large houses with ‘house mums’ or something like nursing homes with their own ensuites. Nevertheless the watchful care would have to paramount. We know what’s been happening in a couple of our nursing homes lately.

At least Hetty has got a thinking hat on.
My GF is a house mum who looks after several disadvantaged people where she cooks, cleans, takes them on outings, say to the bank.
Just thinking.

I heard Hetty's comments & wondered likewise TGY. .. I don't for a minute dispute her good intentions. (She started Brave Hearts as a Mum with a cause for the safety of children ...) and as you said, her comments have us all thinking.

However, I personally don't advocate Gov-run, if for no other reason than that IMO, it would smack of opportunistic voyeurs lining up to be providers of ...

Also IMO, children need the care of genuine, committed & loving 'parents' in a wholistic family environment. The 'parents' don't need to be biological, they just need to be 'real' in their being.

I don't believe the above scenario, nor the individual needs of a child, can be met in an institutionalised environment.

I believe that the Foster Family idea in itself is sound - where it falls down is due to its management, it's policing, it's genuiness (did I say I had concerns over Government run ??)
It's tarred with the DOCs brush, good people on the ground, worn out, burnt out, stressed out & often Bailed Out, due to the lack of genuine care, concern & support from above, for their charges & reponsibilities.

Hopefully someone has a direct line to ScoMo, as this is just another insidious blot on our society that IMO needs the same enquiry as does that of our Aged Care. .. what a sad indictment of our Australian society that we allow our young & our old ( our future & our previous ) to be treated with such disrespect..

Thanks for bearing with me, as I gave of my own opinion in all of this - I sure hope to see some changes.
And I also sure hope to hear of answers for little William soon, as it's so long overdue.

I'm assuming she means group homes. ie houses in regular suburbs where each child has their own room and they live a regular life, but are supervised and cared for by staff rather than family (foster or bio or otherwise). There's a lot more accountability to government bodies than in a private home situation, and staff are usually trained and qualified.

not a big institution.

I say this as the mother of a child with intellectual disability/autism, who would once have been placed against my will in institutionalised care: I agree. I think the pendulum swung too far, where now even people that should be institutionalised or whose carers and health professionals think it's the best thing for them can't get it no matter how much it's wanted and needed.

Forced institutionalisation where family is ready, able and willing to care for the person is wrong, and institutionalisation where there is no evidence it's the right thing for the person AND society is wrong too. But the fact is deinstitutionalisation wasn't really done because it was the right thing to do, it was done to save money. The land has been parceled and sold off to developers and they save bucketloads in not having to pay staff and forcing unpaid carers (usually women, whose careers and bank accounts suffer) to pick up the tab. And as you'll notice if you pay attention to all the cases on here, kids with additional needs (not just autism, but other disabilities, mood disorders, health conditions, family situations etc) are not necessarily better off at home at all.

So ... I agree. It should become an option again, just done with the knowledge and human rights laws that we have now.

Eloise.
I feel for you.
How difficult it must be,trying to do all you can for your child.
You are very fortunate, you have the choice, and I hope can manage.
My friend, had a similar problem, caring for her child.
She, I am afraid, at the time, could not get sufficient care, to help her, when required.
She managed with great difficulties.
Her husband was not being supportive or helpful.

A handful of suspects:

"the name of the killer was almost always in police files within the first week"

PROFILE OF A CHILD KILLER

Who else had been at Nanna's house in the lead up to William's disappearance?
She had been unwell, the house had very recently been sold. She was an active community member. A number of persons would have been interviewed due to them recently being at 48 Benaroon Drive, or for that matter at neighbouring houses, including neighbours.

Perhaps apart from motive, the lead up and result of the Graeme Thorne kidnapping could have similarities to possible scenarios in William's abduction imo.

"As well as the forensic evidence, the Thornes recognised Bradley after being shown a picture of him by police. He was the man who had visited their home in June 1960 pretending to be an estate agent."

The unlikely killer who stole Australia's innocence

Last edited:
A handful of suspects:

"the name of the killer was almost always in police files within the first week"

She had been unwell, the house had very recently been sold. She was an active community member
. A number of persons would have been interviewed due to them recently being at 48 Benaroon Drive, or for that matter at neighbouring houses, including neighbours.

Perhaps apart from motive, the lead up and result of the Graeme Thorne kidnapping could have similarities to possible scenarios in William's abduction imo.

"As well as the forensic evidence, the Thornes recognised Bradley after being shown a picture of him by police. He was the man who had visited their home in June 1960 pretending to be an estate agent."

BBM
Possibly even someone who passed on information to the person that took William. She had been unwell and no doubt would have had some sort of home care and visitors. I would be very interested to see the list of recent visitors.

Eloise.
I feel for you.
How difficult it must be,trying to do all you can for your child.
You are very fortunate, you have the choice, and I hope can manage.
My friend, had a similar problem, caring for her child.
She, I am afraid, at the time, could not get sufficient care, to help her, when required.
She managed with great difficulties.
Her husband was not being supportive or helpful.

I must apologise Eloise - I missed your post. I similarly thank you Tmar for your comments.

I agree, there are so many Gaps in how our society views & responds to the needs of the many who make up our society.
Personally I feel we would be so much richer for embracing all facets, however it seems we've a long way to go. .. the very sad reality is that we live in a self- centered & self-indulgent & mercenary society.

God Bless you & your family Eloise. God Bless us all in our individual idiosyncrasies, and may you God Jesus, please bring answers for little William . ..

A handful of suspects:

She had been unwell, the house had very recently been sold. She was an active community member. A number of persons would have been interviewed due to them recently being at 48 Benaroon Drive, or for that matter at neighbouring houses, including neighbours.

Love the stats, thanks Blues clues :)

I agree. William's grandma may have told anyone about William's visit. They in turn could have told someone else (a child abductor for e.g). I wonder if someone who lives at Batar creek found out, even? It's easy to see how the others found out if she told BS.

"Most of the males abducted tend to be victims of stranger abduction." (v's someone known to them).

"He (the abductor) usually either lives in the neighbourhood where the abduction takes place or frequents that area during his everyday activities." (BS, AJ, Music man). I don't know that PB comes to the area, but we know the others do... JMO

"17.1% of child killers live alone, and 33.2% live with their parents" (A neighbours son?)

"In the initial study, the name of the killer was almost always in police files within the first week. When the supplemental cases were studied, that proved to no longer be the case".

Funny that last one. The writer suggested this could be because abductors are becoming smarter.

Not forgetting the outliers in stats, anything could have happened unfortunately :(
But the person who took William could well fit into this profile, given it's the norm. It seems to suggest he was taken by stranger, who either lives nearby or frequents the area, or a neighbour. That about covers all the POIS (lol), including the batar creek POI, if there is such a POI... JMOO

Love the stats, thanks Blues clues :)

I agree. William's grandma may have told anyone about William's visit. They in turn could have told someone else (a child abductor for e.g). I wonder if someone who lives at Batar creek found out, even? It's easy to see how the others found out if she told BS.

"Most of the males abducted tend to be victims of stranger abduction." (v's someone known to them).

"He (the abductor) usually either lives in the neighbourhood where the abduction takes place or frequents that area during his everyday activities." (BS, AJ, Music man). I don't know that PB comes to the area, but we know the others do... JMO

"17.1% of child killers live alone, and 33.2% live with their parents" (A neighbours son?)

"In the initial study, the name of the killer was almost always in police files within the first week. When the supplemental cases were studied, that proved to no longer be the case".

Funny that last one. The writer suggested this could be because abductors are becoming smarter.

Not forgetting the outliers in stats, anything could have happened unfortunately :(
But the person who took William could well fit into this profile, given it's the norm. It seems to suggest he was taken by stranger, who either lives nearby or frequents the area, or a neighbour. That about covers all the POIS (lol), including the batar creek POI, if there is such a POI... JMOO

BMM above. I don't mean to laugh - i just meant my conclusion didn't help :)

this is quite a strange article - just newly appeared

Authorities find 123 missing children in one day

This was in the USA - but then Australia does tend to follow suit! I hope they round up all these sickos and peg them on an ants' nest in the desert!

I can't believe there is not one word these days about William / any of the known POI / any new... any anything!

I can't help think 'if I'm frustrated' how unbearable must the pain be for all those close to dear little man. .. but then I also remember Karma - and I reckon those responsible must also be finding the 'silence' unnerving.

This was in the USA - but then Australia does tend to follow suit! I hope they round up all these sickos and peg them on an ants' nest in the desert!

I can't believe there is not one word these days about William / any of the known POI / any new... any anything!

I can't help think 'if I'm frustrated' how unbearable must the pain be for all those close to dear little man. .. but then I also remember Karma - and I reckon those responsible must also be finding the 'silence' unnerving.

Ditto! It's very quiet - i guess they are just compiling everything for the inquest. There must be someone (or two) very nervous out there!

Ditto! It's very quiet - i guess they are just compiling everything for the inquest. There must be someone (or two) very nervous out there!

Yep, IMO, they must be ... however many. . Who would know..
I need a whole new set of evidence to convince me that William simply 'evaporated' .. therefore I'm convinced of 'Human Intervention'.

I'm also convinced that the investigating team are very much in the 'know', however it seems that the nailing of said /s responsible needs to take some time, in order to leave no doubt at the end.

Without a doubt for me, Det Jubelin will have every 'i' dotted etc., when he actually brings it to justice stage.

So hope it's soon, this little boy & his family deserve closure. May they all be blessed & soothed.

Case name

R v BRENDAN WILLIAM CLIFFORD

Date

10 Oct

Time

9:30 am

Case number

2018/00304599

List number

-

Parramatta

Room

' + listingDetail.court_room_name | trustedHTML" style="box-sizing: inherit; margin-bottom: 10px; font-size: 15px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 20px;">Parramatta LC

Crt 1.1 Parramatta

?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members