ID ID - Connie Johnson (still missing), 76, & dog, Ace (found safe), Fog Mountain, 2 Oct 2018

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
The last time someone communicated with Connie Johnson was on Tuesday. Johnson was the cook at a hunting camp up the Selway River in the Fog Mountain area near Big Rock. When other members of her party arrived Friday, they were unable to locate Johnson or her dog, Ace. The area was searched by Richey Outfitters but no tracks were found.

Crews seek missing Nezperce woman

5bbb06a9d2b8e.image.jpg

Yikes, northern Idaho, what is going on up there?
I’m amazed at the amount of lost in the woods and parks I’ve been seeing here on WS lately. It’s scary. Is this a seasonal event? It seems as though every other week, another person is missing. Was it like this last year? Are the numbers climbing each year? Anyone?

I’m amazed at the amount of lost in the woods and parks I’ve been seeing here on WS lately. It’s scary. Is this a seasonal event? It seems as though every other week, another person is missing. Was it like this last year? Are the numbers climbing each year? Anyone?

I'm not sure. There is so much vast wilderness in Idaho, it's not too surprising, I guess. Last spring, I drove through the eastern part of the state (think DeOrr Kunz case area) and there were stretches of road where we saw no other cars for miles, no other people or structures, large areas without cell service, only satellite phones, and the weather can be brutal both in summer and winter, with the short "inbetween" seasons having big fluctuations in temperature. Part of the state are high elevations, but for some reason people don't always consider that when they might think of it when visiting Colorado, but not here (I guess Idaho also doesn't have "mile high" everything like parts of Colorado). So visitors getting lost I can see more reasonably than long term residents.

I reckon it's like with most everything in life--there are factors which play into making situations more or less likely, and the wilderness is pretty unforgiving.

Hunting season is either just beginning or about to begin, so that could play a part--hunting is both big in terms of popular, but also it's big business here--there are outfitter companies all over who take groups out hunting and whatnot, including "city folk" who maybe perhaps sometimes underestimate the vastness and harsh conditions. I don't know. I'm curious about the statistics now, too, though!

The last time someone communicated with Connie Johnson was on Tuesday. Johnson was the cook at a hunting camp up the Selway River in the Fog Mountain area near Big Rock. When other members of her party arrived Friday, they were unable to locate Johnson or her dog, Ace. The area was searched by Richey Outfitters but no tracks were found.

Crews seek missing Nezperce woman

rsbm

I've been reading WS long enough that the bare bones info and lack of clarity in articles like this make me a bit crazed.

What was the communication--in person? phone call? text? email?

Where was CJ when the communication took place--at the hunting camp? on her way to the hunting camp? in town before going to the hunting camp? nowhere near the hunting camp?

If CJ was at the hunting camp, was anyone else at camp prior to the other members of her party arriving? Or was she setting up camp by herself?

Also, kudos to CJ for being a hunting camp cook at her age! That's some hard work.

I'm not sure. There is so much vast wilderness in Idaho, it's not too surprising, I guess. Last spring, I drove through the eastern part of the state (think DeOrr Kunz case area) and there were stretches of road where we saw no other cars for miles, no other people or structures, large areas without cell service, only satellite phones, and the weather can be brutal both in summer and winter, with the short "inbetween" seasons having big fluctuations in temperature. Part of the state are high elevations, but for some reason people don't always consider that when they might think of it when visiting Colorado, but not here (I guess Idaho also doesn't have "mile high" everything like parts of Colorado). So visitors getting lost I can see more reasonably than long term residents.

I reckon it's like with most everything in life--there are factors which play into making situations more or less likely, and the wilderness is pretty unforgiving.

Hunting season is either just beginning or about to begin, so that could play a part--hunting is both big in terms of popular, but also it's big business here--there are outfitter companies all over who take groups out hunting and whatnot, including "city folk" who maybe perhaps sometimes underestimate the vastness and harsh conditions. I don't know. I'm curious about the statistics now, too, though!
I always think of little Deorr when I hear about Idaho. My husband went to Wyoming every year for seventeen years for deer hunting with his dad. My SIL is there right now. He went to the same ranch my husband always visited. He goes with a bunch of his fire fighting buddies. Hunters band together and take care of and understand one another. I recently saw some statistics on the National Park Service page when trying to research Mitzie Sue Susan Clements disappearance. Such a tragic outcome.

my mom-in-law is good friends with the missing cooks daughter. I wasn't able to get any details as of yet because the daughter is besides herself waiting for each phone call. yes hunting season is going on right now
Prayers for Connie, her adorable doggie, and her daughter and other family and friends. How awful, the worry and the wait. I hope she is found safe and sound soon!

Last edited:

Look up missing 411 u will be shocked

rsbm

I've been reading WS long enough that the bare bones info and lack of clarity in articles like this make me a bit crazed.

What was the communication--in person? phone call? text? email?

Where was CJ when the communication took place--at the hunting camp? on her way to the hunting camp? in town before going to the hunting camp? nowhere near the hunting camp?

If CJ was at the hunting camp, was anyone else at camp prior to the other members of her party arriving? Or was she setting up camp by herself?

Also, kudos to CJ for being a hunting camp cook at her age! That's some hard work.

I had to read the article about 6 times to figure out who was all missing and from where... This one is missing. That one is missing. Back to the first one missing. Oh, and a little blurp about another one missing. Yikes! I am far from having any journalism talent to be able to critique, but jeepers that is bad!

still missing. 76 year old Connie Johnson from Nezperce was reported missing up the Selway in the Fog Mountain area near Big Rock. Johnson was at hunting camp, where she was the camp cook. Last communication with her was on Tuesday. When other members of her party arrived Friday, they were unable to locate her or her dog, Ace. The area was searched by Richey Outfitters and no tracks were found.

Idaho County Sheriff's Office: 3 People Reported Missing over Weekend

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back