The “roughly triangular, parchment-like rust colored abrasion”

I’ve heard so many refer to the “brutality” or the “viciousness” of what was done to JonBenet. In fact, it’s often given as the reason one person or another couldn’t have possibly committed this crime. After all (the reasoning goes) it would take a “monster” -- a "psychopath" -- to inflict all the injuries to her body that she suffered. Right?

But what if most (or all) of the injuries could be explained by a single, ill-considered act? What if everything that happened and was done by others could be understood by what that one impulsive act caused?

I wrote the following scenario several years ago about a completely fictional crime to illustrate this point about interpreting the “viciousness” of JonBenet’s death based on what we know. If you recall it, you don’t have to read it again. But if you don’t remember it, I think it shows that, unless we know exactly what happened, we can’t speak to the motivation of the person who caused her death.

A 911 call is made by an obviously distraught mother at 5:45 pm. She tells the 911 operator she just got home from work and found her daughter lying on the living room floor not breathing and unresponsive. There is blood on the body. “Hurry, hurry, hurry!”

Police arrive, pictures are taken of the crime scene, and statements are taken from the mother and her other, 10 year old daughter who says she got home from school at about 4:30 pm after stopping briefly at a friend’s house on the way home. She says that after getting home, she went straight to her bedroom on the second floor where she and her sister both slept, and she didn’t see her sister lying on the floor in the living room. Police find a pair of scissors in some bushes in the backyard, wiped clean of fingerprints but with trace evidence of blood which is later determined to belong to the victim.

The medical examiner’s autopsy reveals the following:

The 14 year old female victim’s cause of death is from an atlanto-occipital dislocation (internal decapitation) associated with craniocerebral trauma.

External Exam:
The victim has two stab wounds in the upper abdomen (possibly from the scissors found in the bushes). These wounds are 5-inches deep (indicating the full depth of the scissors found). Damage to the surrounding tissue indicates the stabbing was done with a tremendous amount of force.
  • The victim’s right humerus bone (upper arm) appears to be fractured (confirmed by radiography).
  • Her right shoulder is also dislocated (discovered on the X-rays).
  • There are multiple recent contusions on her legs, arms, and upper torso.
  • Her hymen is torn in two locations, and additional acute vaginal trauma is also found.
  • Semen is present in her vagina (swabs are taken for DNA testing).
Internal Exam:
  • The skull has a linear fracture 6-inches in length running through the parietal bone and into the occipital bone.
  • There is hemorrhaging in the subdural and the subarachnoid layers of the cerebrum.

Police detectives question the girl’s known friends and associates and take DNA swabs. Soon a DNA match is found to the semen with a male (not really necessary to point that out, I hope) friend in a grade higher than the victim. Witnesses at the school say they had seen the two talking to one another between classes. Suspicion naturally falls on him and he is eventually accused of the vicious, brutal attack that killed the girl. He denies any involvement and denies ever even being in the victim’s house. But the DNA from the semen found in the victim's vagina is conclusive; and the only other DNA or fiber evidence found in the home is excluded from being associated with the crime because it all belongs to the victim and/or her family members.

Investigators theorize that the boy was allowed into the home by the victim before the younger sister got home from school. They believe that once inside, he brutally attacked the girl. He beat her, raped her, stabbed her, and then hit her over the head with some undetermined object. Then he was able to leave the house before the younger sister got home and went straight up the stairs to her room -- not noticing her sister’s body lying lifeless in the living room.

So in this fictional scenario, can anyone not say that this was a vicious, brutal, heinous, psychopathic attack on the 14 year old girl -- probably committed by the victim’s friend? If not, read the list again of all the injuries that were inflicted on her body.

After arresting the victim’s friend, charges are brought against him for the rape and the vicious, brutal murder of the 14 year old girl. Just before the case is set to go to trial, the victim’s sister tells her mother what she knows happened and didn’t admit to before. They go to the police who, after hearing her story and further questioning of the arrested boy, put together what happened.

The 14 year old girl (the victim in this case) had gotten close to the boy at school, and after school, she had started going to his house before going home, knowing that her mother wouldn’t be home for a couple more hours. On the day she died, their “friendship” had reached the point that she decided to let him “go all the way.” This was the first time in her life she let something like that happen.

When she got home, she and her sister had an argument over using a pair of scissors. She grabbed the scissors trying to pull them away from her sister. When the younger sister lost her grip of the scissors, the older sister lost her balance at the top of the stairs as she stabbed herself with the scissors. She fell down the entire flight of wood stairs, tumbling several times on the way down and pushing the scissors deep into her abdomen. Her sister ran to the bottom of the stairs and watched hopelessly as her sister died. Distraught, worried, panicked, and fearful of the consequences of having caused her older sister’s death, she pulled the scissors from the lifeless body, wiped them of prints and blood, and hid them in the bushes outside. Then she dragged her sister’s dead body into the living room and waited in her room for their mother to return from work to find the body.

All the injuries listed in the autopsy were sustained accidentally as the result of one small careless act. Everything that happened to her body was the result of an unfortunate set of circumstances that had tragic consequences appearing to be a brutal rape and vicious attack.

One point in this tale is that the DNA that linked the friend had nothing to do with the actual crime. Another point is that, without the sister’s confession, investigators would probably have never figured out what actually happened. What if the girl had never spoken out about what happened? What if her mother had never told the police after she found out? But the main point in this is that we can’t judge how “vicious” or “brutal” a death is simply by the injuries sustained on the body. Those descriptions are of the manner in which the injuries were inflicted. Until the circumstances that caused the death are known, we can’t judge how “brutal,” “vicious,” or “psychopathic” it was because those adjectives speak to motive. And if we don’t know the exact circumstances that caused it or the motives behind it, we can’t say who was or was not capable of doing it.

Yes, JonBenet’s injuries are numerous and appear to be the result of a brutal attack. But are there circumstances that would explain all of the injuries and all of the bazaar behaviors of those connected with this? I believe there are.

[Disclaimer: Events and characters are completely fictitious and bear no resemblance to actual events or persons. Any similarities are completely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the making of this story.]

otg,
Nice post, demonstrates how the evidence can lead you up the garden path. Also no semen found on/in JonBenet which one of the R's might think staging a homicide was a good idea?

It's in the thread on this board; can't remember which specific thread, but it shouldn't be hard to dig up if you're inclined. There's a photo of the pillow on the kitchen counter by the stool. We don't know when that picture was taken, as it may have been taken hours after police arrived and searched (which was discussed in the thread).
I know all about the pillows. I was asking you specifically about what photo you are talking about. The one by the stool was taken sometime after 8:30pm on the 26th. However, the pillow makes an appearance in the earlier kidnapping phase photos as well.

CS

(rsbm)
The theory that the neck and head injury occurred simultaneously was introduced by a forensic pathologist that was hired by a US television station (A&E), who didn't initially work on the case (if memory serves) and who was going off of photos -- just something to consider. I believe he also said that he believes those little marks around the ligature mark are JBR's fingernail marks, as she was trying to get her fingers underneath the ligature while she was being strangled (i.e. she was conscious and fully alert while being strangled). Not sure I necessarily agree; just reporting what he stated. It's also important to note that, this pathologist is of the belief that an intruder committed the murders.
Userid, I understand (and hope others do as well) that you are only pointing out what someone else said about there being fingernail marks. Just for the record, there aren't. Fingernail marks are very distinct and unmistakable (Google it). Others have also claimed to see fingernail marks; so it's very important to understand, because it would mean (as you pointed out) that she was conscious while the strangulation was happening. The only people who have ever speculated this have only seen the photos that were leaked to the public. The first time I saw what someone thought were fingernail marks was the photo that Ruthee (I think) marked up. I've seen it re-posted many times. Here is that photo:

Think about your having a ligature around your neck. Where would you instinctively reach to try and get you fingers underneath it? Most people will reach (if they can) with both hands to the sides of their neck. This is where self-inflicted fingernail marks are usually found. This illustration also points to several spots beneath the ligature (not a very effective method for pulling the at the cord above them). I'll also point out before someone else does that the spot labeled "stun gun mark" is actually a small mole that JonBenet had on her neck.

There is no medical examiner who actually saw the injuries first-hand who called any of these agminated petechiae fingernail marks. Despite his many procedural failures, Dr. Meyer was certified as a Forensic Pathologist. I really do believe he would have recognized fingernail marks on her neck. All we have to look at are these several blurry photos that probably wouldn't be very good for identifying details, but all of the petechiae and "congestion" can be attributed to the ligature strangulation.

Tadpole12 posted a portion of a helpful article above. The link provided in that post is the full article. If anyone is interested in reading more on the subject, here is another link:

Attachments

• jonbenet-nail-marks-autopsy.png
    jonbenet-nail-marks-autopsy.png
    176 KB · Views: 93
otg,
Nice post, demonstrates how the evidence can lead you up the garden path. Also no semen found on/in JonBenet which one of the R's might think staging a homicide was a good idea?

The one in charge. The one who stood to lose the most.

I know all about the pillows. I was asking you specifically about what photo you are talking about. The one by the stool was taken sometime after 8:30pm on the 26th. However, the pillow makes an appearance in the earlier kidnapping phase photos as well.

CS

I never mentioned a specific photo in any of my posts specifically; I only mentioned the pillow as a subject. There was a pillow photographed in the kidnapping stage, but again, the time was never indicated as to when it was photographed or when the pillow was put there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the kidnapping stage was anywhere from 6 am to 2 pm (approximations). That was my only point. Does the photo you are referring to have a time stamp on it? Or is it just during the "kidnapping" phase?

(rsbm)
Userid, I understand (and hope others do as well) that you are only pointing out what someone else said about there being fingernail marks. Just for the record, there aren't. Fingernail marks are very distinct and unmistakable (Google it). Others have also claimed to see fingernail marks; so it's very important to understand, because it would mean (as you pointed out) that she was conscious while the strangulation was happening. The only people who have ever speculated this have only seen the photos that were leaked to the public. The first time I saw what someone thought were fingernail marks was the photo that Ruthee (I think) marked up. I've seen it re-posted many times. Here is that photo:

Think about your having a ligature around your neck. Where would you instinctively reach to try and get you fingers underneath it? Most people will reach (if they can) with both hands to the sides of their neck. This is where self-inflicted fingernail marks are usually found. This illustration also points to several spots beneath the ligature (not a very effective method for pulling the at the cord above them). I'll also point out before someone else does that the spot labeled "stun gun mark" is actually a small mole that JonBenet had on her neck.

There is no medical examiner who actually saw the injuries first-hand who called any of these agminated petechiae fingernail marks. Despite his many procedural failures, Dr. Meyer was certified as a Forensic Pathologist. I really do believe he would have recognized fingernail marks on her neck. All we have to look at are these several blurry photos that probably wouldn't be very good for identifying details, but all of the petechiae and "congestion" can be attributed to the ligature strangulation.

Tadpole12 posted a portion of a helpful article above. The link provided in that post is the full article. If anyone is interested in reading more on the subject, here is another link:

Thanks OTG, I hope so too, because I fully agree with you. I do not believe those are fingernail marks at all. I always take what the original forensic pathologist concluded over others who have simply and strictly used photographic evidence to form their conclusions. If memory serves, JBR did have her own flesh beneath her fingernails, but I imagine all children do so (what child has good hand-washing habits, even if he/she does wash their hands often?); and I imagine the original pathologist would have been able to determine if that was from reaching for the binding or simply over a period of time. I suppose I could be wrong about that -- as I am not trained specifically on the subject -- but that's my opinion.

I never mentioned a specific photo in any of my posts specifically; I only mentioned the pillow as a subject. There was a pillow photographed in the kidnapping stage, but again, the time was never indicated as to when it was photographed or when the pillow was put there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the kidnapping stage was anywhere from 6 am to 2 pm (approximations). That was my only point. Does the photo you are referring to have a time stamp on it? Or is it just during the "kidnapping" phase?
There was a pillow photographed sometime in the morning during the kidnapping phase. There was also a pillow photographed on the counter after 8pm in the 26th.

There was a pillow photographed sometime in the morning during the kidnapping phase. There was also a pillow photographed on the counter after 8pm in the 26th.

When in the morning? That's the question.

@ otg
Compared to even a few years ago, there is a plethora of information and photos wrt to strangulation, asphyxiation available online.

The one in charge. The one who stood to lose the most.

Cottonstar,
There are slight differences between otg's post and the details in JonBenet's crime-scene but I think the general outline is the same : e.g. if you just go by the surface detail then you might get fooled?

I reckon there was a minimum of two stagings, possibly three, this discounts JR's tweaks later that morning.

The main questions are, compared to otg's post are:

1. Did JonBenet die accidently?

2. Was JonBenet really sexually assaulted, or was it Vaginal Trauma as described by Steve Thomas in his book?

Why would any parent deny JonBenet medical access and then extensively stage her death in a wine-cellar?

Cottonstar,
There are slight differences between otg's post and the details in JonBenet's crime-scene but I think the general outline is the same : e.g. if you just go by the surface detail then you might get fooled?

I reckon there was a minimum of two stagings, possibly three, this discounts JR's tweaks later that morning.

The main questions are, compared to otg's post are:

1. Did JonBenet die accidently?

2. Was JonBenet really sexually assaulted, or was it Vaginal Trauma as described by Steve Thomas in his book?

Why would any parent deny JonBenet medical access and then extensively stage her death in a wine-cellar?

1. It wasn’t accidental, nor was it premeditated. It was emotional and anger filled, a heat of the moment situation that got out of control.

2. She was sexually assaulted.

3. This is a long complicated answer, but not as complicated as you think.

What do you think:
jbr_strangulation_brush_dsc-jpg.150380

I am waiting for English correction to post full information on my page but I hope for some arguments from you about this idea.

Attachments

• JBR_strangulation_brush_dsc.jpg
    JBR_strangulation_brush_dsc.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 483
@ A What do you think:

The concept is twisted and perverse.
The image is passive, ripe with exaggeration and misrepresentation.
Maybe the grotesque lies in the intent?
or the process?

@ A What do you think:

The concept is twisted and perverse.
The image is passive, ripe with exaggeration and misrepresentation.
Maybe the grotesque lies in the intent?
or the process?

My idea was that he was thinking to help her/call the 911...

and this one was close to bandaging her head...

On the other hand, it was "remote". No close contact with the body at the moment of strangulation.

It matches my idea of the murderer.

P.S. I think that most marks on her neck were made in 1 stage at the moment of strangulation. Round mark of the "burning" could be post-death, the same as the idea of hitting her with some "round" object in the head (latest JBI notes).

P.S.2 If he had some contact with doctors doing autopsies... These marks were made with some thoughts about a new autopsy knowledge for such incidents.

Last edited:
otg,

Very shi**t acting also. That ‘Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!’
Very fake and construed.
Thank G-d she wasn’t trying to get into Hollywood via Weinstein.
He would have fallen from his perch a lot faster, if he’d have tried to back PR as an actress.

My idea was that he was thinking to help her/call the 911...

and this one was close to bandaging her head...

On the other hand, it was "remote". No close contact with the body at the moment of strangulation.

It matches my idea of the murderer.

P.S. I think that most marks on her neck were made in 1 stage at the moment of strangulation. Round mark of the "burning" could be post-death, the same as the idea of hitting her with some "round" object in the head (latest JBI notes).

P.S.2 If he had some contact with doctors doing autopsies... These marks were made with some thoughts about a new autopsy knowledge for such incidents.
That lady who posted Jonbenets’ autopsy photos, there were photos in there when she was still alive and walking around with those same small circular taser? Marks?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back