Hurricane Michael - October 2018

Dancemom, please know we are thinking and praying for you. Update us to let us know you are safe when you can.
Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. I think the worst may be over for us (although every time I think that the wind picks up again). It has been very nerve wracking but we are safe. We have some large tree limbs down, but none are on the house. We're in a rural area, and it may take a while for us to get power back. Our county is under a curfew until further notice. My husband works in SW Georgia, and it sounds like they may have a lot of cleanup to do to get back to normal there. I haven't been able to see much news from other areas but feel that overall we are lucky. I have spent most of my life in the southeastern US and have ridden out lots of these storms, but I don't think I've never been as scared as with this one. Thanks again for this thread, as it has been a comfort to me.

I cant lie. I am more terrified than I have ever been in my life during bad weather and I am 71 years old.

Our local news says to expect catastrophic damage with a possibility of loss of life. It will come in at 100 mph.

We have had constant heavy rains since this morning. We are an area of Georgia filled with huge tall trees. The rain is already soaking the roots making the trees unstable. So many trees are either going to topple over or be uprooted and slammed into structures.

I am praying harder than I have ever prayed before for my own community..my dear loved ones and every single one who will be affected and has already felt Michael's fury.

May God be with all of us.

Oh OBE. I hear and feel your fear as much as I can from a distance. I would be hugely freaking out. I am so so glad you have your hubby and fur babies with you. May your guardian angels be with you all.

There are no words for me to even convey adequately except y'all are in my thoughts and prayers. For everyone else too here in our WS community.

...9 PM EDT POSITION UPDATE... ...CENTER OF MICHAEL MOVING THROUGH SOUTHWESTERN GEORGIA... ...DAMAGING WINDS STILL OCCURRING INLAND... ...STORM SURGE LEVELS GRADUALLY SUBSIDING ON THE GULF COAST...

9:00 PM EDT Wed Oct 10

Moving: NE at 17 mph
Min pressure: 960 mb
Max sustained: 85 mph

My 90 year old uncle moved from Georgia to Panacea FL a number of years ago for the fishing. He has a house on stilts on a canal. I emailed him yesterday and haven’t heard back, so I’m hoping he and his wife evacuated to one of his kids’ homes in Georgia (not safe either).

A lot of people in Panacea are too poor to leave according to this article yesterday.
As Hurricane Michael bears down, many along Gulf Coast remain in harm’s way

House across from condo where Ginger Zee is staying on highway 98 in Mexico Beach is lifted off its foundation and taken away.

Ginger Zee on Twitter

Okay, after looking at tonight's ABC News, which had more detail than Ginger's twitter video, I've located the house that washed away. It's the two story blue one here.

Google Maps

Unfortunately the longer video from tonight's broadcast is not up on their website, at least not yet. If I locate it I will post it.

...10 PM EDT POSITION UPDATE... ...CENTER OF MICHAEL NOW MOVING INTO SOUTH-CENTRAL GEORGIA... ...DAMAGING WINDS STILL OCCURRING INLAND... ...STORM SURGE LEVELS GRADUALLY SUBSIDING ON THE GULF COAST...

10:00 PM EDT Wed Oct 10
Min pressure: 965 mb
Max sustained: 80 mph

Last edited:
...12 AM EDT POSITION UPDATE... ...MICHAEL WEAKENS TO A TROPICAL STORM OVER CENTRAL GEORGIA... ...DAMAGING WINDS STILL OCCURRING INLAND...

12:00 AM EDT Thu Oct 11
Min pressure: 975 mb
Max sustained: 70 mph

(Hi just getting in and checking in with everyone. I’m surprised to hear HM was almost a 5 when it hit...interested in reading more statistical data.

Sending positive thoughts to all affected!

Today we had our first snow in Colorado and we are under a freeze warning right now—-this is really wacky weather and an early winter—-it’s seems so strange that there’s a tropical storm/hurricane in one area and deep cold and freeze in another. I wonder if this is rare as well, the converse conditions, and how this might affect/have affected the storm.

Going back to read and catch up now, hugs to all members and their loved ones in Michael’s path.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire