Hurricane Michael - October 2018

Realizing how very helpful news outlets are in these tragedies. They risk a lot but also have special resources like their satellites. Last night CNN, and I'm sure others, was the only way some mayors and representatives could get the word out about their conditions and needs because communications were down.

None sweeter than Brook Baldwin, I am so glad she could help some people this way.

As we are waiting for our WS peeps to check in. --I so hope everyone is safe and ok. Our Georgia and Carolina peeps are not being covered as much in the news.

It's going to take a long time to recover from the wrath of this storm.

BBM

We have flooding the the NC & VA mountains. Our local weather guy in NC says our worst winds will be on the back side--something about downward transfer of momentum.

This isn't over yet. With Camille, which came onshore in Mississippi and killed over 250 people, 113 of those were in the mountains of Virginia. Plus there were close to 40 additional missing and presumed dead in the mountains.

Florida Panhandle suffering from widespread cell tower, internet outages, FCC says
More than 70 percent of cell towers were out in the hardest-hit counties as of Thursday morning.
Screenshot-2018-10-11-17.14.48.png

A map from the FCC showing widespread cell tower outages along Hurricane Michael's path.

Florida Panhandle suffering from widespread cell tower, internet outages, FCC says
More than 70 percent of cell towers were out in the hardest-hit counties as of Thursday morning.
Screenshot-2018-10-11-17.14.48.png

A map from the FCC showing widespread cell tower outages along Hurricane Michael's path.

“Outages don't necessarily mean the cell towers are damaged or destroyed. Power outages are a more likely cause of outages, experts say, and Hurricane Michael has left 400,000 people in the dark.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said in a statement that he was working with providers to restore service and was happy with their responses so far.

"We were pleased that carriers had pre-positioned equipment and were in the process deploying cells on wheels (COWs) and cells on light trucks (COLTs) in order to get wireless service up and running in many locations," Pai said in a statement.“

FCC Outage Map:
Hurricane Michael

——

Hurricane Michael Communications Status Report for October 11, 2018

Full Title: Hurricane Michael Communications Status Report for October 11, 2018
Document Type(s): Report
Bureau(s): Public Safety and Homeland Security, Media Relations
Description:
Communications Status Report for Areas Impacted by Hurricane Michael – October 11, 2018

Hurricane Michael Communications Status Report for October 11, 2018

“Florida
Psychiatric hospital cut off: In the town of Chattahoochee, the Florida State Hospital, which is the state's largest and oldest psychiatric hospital, was inaccessible in the wake of Michael, according to the Miami Herald. The facility's 975 residents and 325 staffers had ample supplies, especially after food and water drops via helicopter, but the hospital lost all communication with the outside world, the report added.“

BBM

We have flooding the the NC & VA mountains. Our local weather guy in NC says our worst winds will be on the back side--something about downward transfer of momentum.

This isn't over yet. With Camille, which came onshore in Mississippi and killed over 250 people, 113 of those were in the mountains of Virginia. Plus there were close to 40 additional missing and presumed dead in the mountains.

Skittles, thank you for this information. Your update gives a perspective of how dangerous this storm is. I hope you and yours are safe, and continue to stay safe.

We are getting rain in tonight in NJ, on the northern fringe of the storm, more rain to an already endlessly rain soaked long summer. There is an astonishing variety of mushrooms growing in my mossy woodsy environment. I have never seen anything like it.

Sending prayers out tonight to our beautiful and already flood ravaged states, VA & the Carolinas.

Skittles, thank you for this information. Your update gives a perspective of how dangerous this storm is. I hope you and yours are safe, and continue to stay safe.

We are getting rain in tonight in NJ, on the northern fringe of the storm, more rain to an already endlessly rain soaked long summer. There is an astonishing variety of mushrooms growing in my mossy woodsy environment. I have never seen anything like it.

Sending prayers out tonight to our beautiful and already flood ravaged states, VA & the Carolinas.

“There is an astonishing variety of mushrooms growing in my mossy woodsy environment. I have never seen anything like it.“

(Okay that just gave me the heebiejeebies)

“Although it was clear by afternoon that the storm had caused widespread damage, some areas remained largely cut off, and the authorities were trying to deploy rescuers by helicopter and boat.

“This is a very dense part of the state, so it’s going to be a lot of work to get to everybody,” Gov. Rick Scott of Florida said. “But we will get to everybody.”“

Hurricane Michael Updates: Search and Rescue Begins Amid Ruins of Florida Coast

“There is an astonishing variety of mushrooms growing in my mossy woodsy environment. I have never seen anything like it.“

(Okay that just gave me the heebiejeebies)

Lol! Actually some are quite beautiful. There are just a lot of them. I have to say, the moss is gorgeous and lush. Squirrels eat mushrooms too, before the big nut drop.

Just getting in, coming straight here to see if we have heard from @oceanblueeyes yet?

@Lilibet any word yet from your uncle and his wife?

I haven’t seen OBE check in. And I haven’t heard from my uncle yet, after sending another email. If he’s in Georgia with kids, I suspect nothing is working. That may be OBE’s problem too. Here’s hoping we all hear soon from those affected. It’s quite a worry.

My friend in northeastern NC texted me tonight about getting loud 40 mph winds, and said she couldn’t imagine winds 3-4 times that strong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back