GUILTY OH - Marion Co., WhtFem Skeletal 672UFOH, 18-22, along rural road, Mar'07- Dana Nicole Lowrey

New tips roll in after southern states asked to help ID Grate victim

Marion law enforcement are chasing down leads stemming from a new public bulletin about the mystery woman found dead in Marion County and believed to be the first victim of suspected serial killer Shawn Grate.

The Marion County Sheriff's Office has received at least three tips as to the woman's identity since the bulletin was sent out last week, said Marion County Sheriff Tim Bailey.

[...]

Two tips have been ruled out and they are looking at a tip from NAMUS on a girl missing from Texas where no DNA is currently on file. They are looking to get samples from family members.

Using the parameters set out in the article, I have a list from Namus. But dang. With their new website, I don't know who has DNA and who doesn't.

NAMUS's removal of identifiers .. uuggh so frustrating .. A couple of sites like Reveal, Doe and couple of state managed still have identifiers listed. Will assume all of the identifier data is prior to the update.

I did a quick search through DN but didn't find any missing females in that age group from TX who went missing with out DNA. I went back 10 years from the date these were found, just in case. But, it's possible there are a few cases in NamUs not in Doe.

DNA testing might help identify Grate murder victim

Someone's curiosity about their family tree could help law enforcement identify a Marion County homicide victim who has been without a name for more than a decade.

The Marion County Sheriff's Office hopes to use a genealogy website to identify the woman believed to have been the first victim of convicted killer Shawn Grate.

The woman's identity has remained a mystery since her remains were found off a Marion County road in 2007, even after Grate confessed to her killing after his arrest in September 2016.

But a "cutting edge" investigative tool that has gained notoriety since cracking open the cold case of the Golden State Killer in April could help solve her identity.

The Marion County sheriff has reached out to a California-based team of genealogical researchers that has had success in identifying previously unnamed victims, including a young woman killed near Troy, Ohio, in 1981.

I have finally registered at NAMUS and wanted to report that there are two new ruleouts:
MP6161 AmyHaueter 01/15/2005 JeffersonKY
MP24374 SandraKoepke 05/17/2002 MontgomeryTX

Still not in the ruleout list but submitted (I believe):
Darla Douglas, Dana Zelic or Deanna Merryfield, Lynn Cunningham

(??)Bridget Pendall

Last edited:
I believe the remains were identified as Candice Cunningham.

Prosecutor Bambi Couch Page previously said Grate confessed to killing Cunningham in June at the vacant Madison Township house, which was destroyed by a suspicious fire on June 20 or 21.

Cunningham's body was recovered at the rear of the house in a wooded area, down a ravine.

In the Ashland case, the bodies of Stacey Stanley, 43, and Elizabeth Griffith, 29, were recovered in an abandoned house at 363 Covert Court near the downtown.

Remains identified as Candice Cunningham in Grate case (Nov.1, 2016)

I believe the remains were identified as Candice Cunningham.

Prosecutor Bambi Couch Page previously said Grate confessed to killing Cunningham in June at the vacant Madison Township house, which was destroyed by a suspicious fire on June 20 or 21.

Cunningham's body was recovered at the rear of the house in a wooded area, down a ravine.

In the Ashland case, the bodies of Stacey Stanley, 43, and Elizabeth Griffith, 29, were recovered in an abandoned house at 363 Covert Court near the downtown.

Remains identified as Candice Cunningham in Grate case (Nov.1, 2016)

No, this is not Candice. Candice's body was found in June 2016. This UID is another victim of Shawn Grate found in Marion County in March of 2007. We have a separate thread for Grate tracking all his victims and his court cases here: OH - Shawn Michael GRATE: 3 bodies found, Ashland/Madison, Sept 2016

2/25/2019

RICHLAND COUNTY, OH - Shawn Grate, after initially pleading Not Guilty to fourteen charges in Richland County in 2018 will change his plea. His sentencing will take place on Friday, March 1st.

After being sentenced to death by way of lethal injection in Ashland County Common Pleas Court in June of 2018, Grate appeared in Richland County Court in September of 2018 to face one count of murder, three counts of aggravated murder, three counts of kidnapping, three counts of tampering with evidence, two count of gross abuse of a corpse, and two counts of aggravated arson.

Grate's jury trial was initially scheduled to begin on March 4th, 2019. Now that Grate has changed his plea, he will be sentenced in Judge Brent N. Robinson's courtroom on Friday, March 1st.

WMFD.com - Shawn Grate Changing Plea, Sentencing To Be Held Friday

I agree! She also resembles the 3D imaging better than some of the other matches and height/weight. I would definitely submit her for a possible match.

Has anyone found any mention of her height? Or if she spoke with any sort of accent? I wish we could get more information out to the public from SG's police interviews.

Donna Rae Riggsby at 5'6 is a good match for the estimated height.

I don’t know how to do this but I’m donnas daughter and I’m trying to find out what happened

I don’t know how to do this but I’m donnas daughter and I’m trying to find out what happened

Welcome to websleuths and I am so sorry that your mother is a missing person :(

Donna Riggsby is on the NAMUS rule out list for this Jane Doe which means she is not Shawn Grate's unidentified victim.

I do not see a thread here for Donna, but perhaps we can get one opened and if you become a verified insider, you will be able to give more information about your mother's case on here.

Welcome to websleuths and I am so sorry that your mother is a missing person :(

Donna Riggsby is on the NAMUS rule out list for this Jane Doe which means she is not Shawn Grate's unidentified victim.

I do not see a thread here for Donna, but perhaps we can get one opened and if you become a verified insider, you will be able to give more information about your mother's case on here.

Welcome, Edavis11!

We have a thread for Donna here:
AL - AL - Donna Riggsby, 20, Sylacauga, 28 June 2003

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members