Hurricane Michael - October 2018

All of the traffic lights in our two counties are not working. Most if them were shredded.

That has been a nightmare for first responders. All day long yesterday and this morning have been filled with sirens from cop cars ..firetruck and ambulances flying down our street.

In Albany they had over 2400 intersections that were blocked by down trees or down telephones lines and Lee county is no better.

It is taking the power crews much longer since there are still huge trees across roads and on powerlines. We di have power crews from across the state and from other states here helping so that is a plus.

We have generators but many do not. We have run a power cord to our neighbors so they dont lose all of their food and are able to run fans to cool their home down.

God gave us a break. It's a beautiful sunny day today with temps in the low 70s. Wind is still slightly up so those out cutting up trees have to be carefulti since others will most likely fall.

When it was happening there was so much heavy pressure in the air it hurt our ears and the temps were in the high to mid 80s.
At times we thought our house was going to explode. For hours it raged and roared and we could hear things striking our home. It was only when daylight came that we saw what had happened.

WOW how terrifying. Everyone around the globe is rallying for you all in Florida and the East Coast. So glad you and your family are now safe.

First I want to thank everyone here for their concern.

Even though I was unable to post until now my ..heart and thoughts continued to be with everyone affected by this monster hurricane.

Our area is devastated. It looks like a war zone.

Even though it was the most terrifying time of our lives we know what truly matters most of all ..is our lives were spared.

My heart breaks for those who have lost their lives. I pray for their families who are mourning.

Our daughter and grandaughter have both lost their homes in Florida. The homes are no longer there. Just gone like they never existed. But we all came through this hellish nightmare without injuries. They all worked in this area so like all in the area they have no jobs. However I have no doubt with loving support of family and friends they will eventually overcome all of this too.

I hope all of our WS friends are okay even if their properties suffered damage.

We have no power and dont know when it will be restored. The local officials say it may take up to a month or more.

Today my hubby will begin to clear huge downed fallen pecans and oaks and begin to repair the damage to our home.

In our neighborhood we have multiple downed trees and transformers were exploding as Michael roared over us. Trees are in the roofs in some homes on our street.

Yet in the end we survived it all ..even though battered with so much wide spread damage throughout our two counties. That is a miracle itself.

We are resilient people who had already gone through major damage in 2 prior storms in 2017 losing more than 35k oaks then. Now thousands more are down.

Our landscape has no doubtly drastically changed but we still stand strong together like always and will overcome this too.

Still continuing to pray for everyone affected by Michael.

Hugs and my love goes out to everyone.
Ocean

So sorry for the loss of your daughter's and granddaughter's homes, Ocean.

I saw many photos and videos of what Michael did to the FL panhandle - Panama City and Mexico Beach are gone, flattened like a pancake. Just the visuals alone are horrific, a nightmare in themselves. I am happy your daughter and granddaughter are alive and safe, my prayers go out to everyone affected by this devastating hurricane.

Ocean, so glad you, your family, and neighbors are ok. It is the only important thing in times like these.

I read that GA hasn't seen a major cat hurricane since the late 1800's. And it came in so strong.

And I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter's and granddaughter's homes. It's very difficult to comprehend this total wipe out of whole towns.

Even the trees, like old friends themselves, one mourns the change in landscape.

The northern fringe of the storm blew through here in Del., MD, & NJ last night. We can only be grateful that it missed us here in the mid Atlantic. It's gone, out to sea.

The WS Storm and Fire threads connect so many peeps from all over the country. And it is more helpful with survival tips, preparation, a life line to check in, than I ever imagined.

Take very special good care. Wishing you and yours well, and a safe journey, with calm weather, as you gather your lives back together.

Thank you Rose.

I am 71 and have lived in this area all of my life. I have seen tornadoes....straight line winds who have done major damage. Even in 1994 when cat one Alberto caused catastrophic damage here resulting in a 500 year flood. It resulted in many deaths in our county and many surrounding counties 65 in total.

But I have never experienced anything like Michael's fury. I really thought none of us would be able to survive this one but by the grace of God..we did.

For such an unrelenting monster it is unbelievable that more lives weren't lost.

However I fear we may never know who all has lost their lives. I have read that the areas hardiest hit in Florida the bodies may never be located because they aren't there anymore. I can't begin to comprehend the pain family members are going through as they desperately try to locate their missing friends...coworkers and family members. I pray all are located. The not knowing has to be so painful for all who wait.

On a lighter note. I mentioned to my hubby before lunch it sure would be nice to have a hot lunch. As soon as I said it out the door he went and it took him an hour and a half to find it. But we had a hot Chinese meal for the first time since our power went off. Now the little things in life matter more. Some restaurants are beginning to use generators because they know thousands remains without power.

My hubby has been our rock always....not only for our family and friends but always offering a helping hand to so many others in need. He is such a caring kind hearted man and we are all richly blessed to have him in our lives. This is who he is and always has been.

Now i have to charge my phone. Hugs to everyone and I will return later.

Take care.

So sorry for the loss of your daughter's and granddaughter's homes, Ocean.

I saw many photos and videos of what Michael did to the FL panhandle - Panama City and Mexico Beach are gone, flattened like a pancake. Just the visuals alone are horrific, a nightmare in themselves. I am happy your daughter and granddaughter are alive and safe, my prayers go out to everyone affected by this devastating hurricane.

I have so much to be thankful for and believe me I am. If my oldest daughter...our oldest granddaughter and our two precious little great grandbabies and their sweet husbands/fathers had not evacuated we would be among those who wait for their loved ones to be located in the ruins and destruction.

My heart freezes just thinking about what if they had not evacuated.

Possessions can be replaced no matter how long it takes but precious lives never can be. At least we will be able to hug them all and continue to give them all of our support and unconditional love and comfort.

I wish everyone had been as blessed. It breaks my heart for all who have lost those that mean everything to them knowing they cant ever be replaced.

Its all so sad....all of it and it will only worsen for many.

Last edited:
I have so much to be thankful for and believe me I am. If my oldest daughter...our oldest granddaughter and our two precious little great grandbabies and their sweet husbands/fathers had not evacuated we would be among those who wait for their loved ones to be located in the ruins and destruction.

Possessions can be replaced no matter how long it takes but precious lives never can be. At least we will be able to hug them all and continue to give them all of our support and unconditional love and comfort.

I wish everyone had been as blessed. It breaks my heart for all who have lost those that mean everything to them knowing they cant ever be replaced.

Solidarity ❤️ blue eyes

It may be that the reason for so much destruction, is the rate that Florida keeps developing land.

Ten years ago when we first moved down here it was nothing like this; now that the county has not only built more roads connecting south from the northern part of the city, condos and housing developments are lining these roads. I truly wish I could understand why so many people are moving to Florida, I suspect the reasons would go right over my head.

I'm just looking forward to moving out of here within the next year or so.

Solidarity ❤️ blue eyes

I love that song. Thank you.

Rarely if ever do we make any demands of our 5 grown children. We are exceedingly blessed that all 5 make sound decisions on their own.

But this one we couldn't leave to chance. Their daddy/Papa and their Moma/Nannie... in no uncertain terms told them they must evacuate and do it while Michael wasn't that close.

Yet because we never tell them what to do and this time we did they immediately did what we asked them to do.

They were debating on when to leave and if they should try to load some of their possessions on trailers before leaving.

Michael was coming closer becoming more dangerous quickly so we told them it was best to get out immediately before all the traffic spilled out on the roads that may leave them stranded on the highways.

Thank God they all heeded our heartfelt advice even though it sounded more like a demand. LOL

We stayed in touch with them as they made their way back inland until we knew they were safe and have continued once our cells were working again..

Of course they all are very distraught from losing everything they have worked hard for and they will have to start over from scratch which is terrifying for anyone. They do realize they will at least have the opportunity to start anew. Something that never could have happened if they had decided to stay.

I wish many others would have done the same.

Before we lost power one of the last images I saw on the news was a man and his wife who were on a small sailboat who were going to ride it out. No doubt they will be among the fatalities. They may have even had more family members on board.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/fldiv/michael.cfm

Disaster expert: Inside Hurricane Michael's dangerous, unreal world for first responders

Airbnb has expanded it's Open Homes Program to include all of North Florida and the entire state of Georgia.
In the event of major emergencies like Michael, Airbnb's Disaster Responseand Relief Team activates its host communities through the Open Homes program.
Hosts interested in listing their properties for free are being directed to follow airbnb.com/hurricanemichael, where they can opt in by clicking “Sign Up Your Home”
The evacuees are being directed to follow the same link - airbnb.com/hurricanemichael - where they can locate free listings within close proximity by clicking “Find Shelter.”
Airbnb expands free temporary housing program following Hurricane Michael

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has announced tax relief for victims of Hurricane Michael.
Relief is available for taxpayers in any area designated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as qualifying for individual assistance.
The current list of eligible localities is always available on the disaster relief page on the IRS website.
For more on casualty losses after a disaster, click here.
For more details on available tax relief, you can also check out the disaster relief page on IRS.gov. For information on government-wide efforts related to disaster recovery, visit disasterassistance.gov.
IRS Announces Tax Relief For Taxpayers Affected By Hurricane Michael

Airbnb has expanded it's Open Homes Program to include all of North Florida and the entire state of Georgia.
In the event of major emergencies like Michael, Airbnb's Disaster Responseand Relief Team activates its host communities through the Open Homes program.
Hosts interested in listing their properties for free are being directed to follow airbnb.com/hurricanemichael, where they can opt in by clicking “Sign Up Your Home”
The evacuees are being directed to follow the same link - airbnb.com/hurricanemichael - where they can locate free listings within close proximity by clicking “Find Shelter.”
Airbnb expands free temporary housing program following Hurricane Michael

This is the first I've heard about this program through AirBnB. Very interesting. It actually makes a lot of sense, and I am happy to hear the company has chosen to do this. Its an amazing resource to be able to offer during wide-spread tragedies like this one.

Dearest OceanBlueEyes,

Your words went straight to my heart.

Especially the question - what if they had not evacuated? Your great relief and profound gratitude for your family's safety can be felt in your messages.

I am still teary reading your posts and hearing how you are feeling so heartbroken for others.

My heart goes out to everyone affected. This is all so deeply saddening.

It is so true about precious lives being what matters. It is also very difficult to grasp the hardship many will face when they return to what was once their home. I hope they are able to get whatever help they need.

Their possessions may be gone but their memories and their lives are so precious.

Everyone there has been in my prayers and thoughts.

I am hundreds of miles away so I can't physically help or comfort but it is a blessing that our banks here are accepting donations. It's a small thing but it is a thing I can do.

God Bless everyone there.

Last edited:
This article, also posted upthread, is about Panacea, FL where my 90 year old uncle lives, south of town, right by the ocean on a canal, because he loves to fish. He isn’t poor, like so many in the town, but I can’t imagine that his two-story home survived. I’m almost positive he would have evacuated, but I’m still waiting to hear from him.

My heart breaks for those who have lost everything they own and even loved ones. Thank goodness your children heeded your pleas, @oceanblueeyes.

‘I Got Stuck’: In Poor, Rural Communities, Fleeing Hurricane Michael Was Tough

Hurricane Michael Updates: Body Found on Florida Beach with Death Toll Already at 16 | The Weather Channel

"At least 16 deaths have been blamed on the powerful storm – seven in Florida, three in North Carolina, one in Georgia and five in Virginia.

That number is almost certain to rise after Miami Fire Chief Joseph Zahralban, leader of a search-and-rescue unit, told the Associated Press that crews found at least one body on Mexico Beach, the Florida town nearly obliterated by the hurricane.

"We have one confirmed deceased and are working to determine if there are others," said Zahralban, who added that searchers were trying to determine if that person had been alone or was part of a family."

This article, also posted upthread, is about Panacea, FL where my 90 year old uncle lives, south of town, right by the ocean on a canal, because he loves to fish. He isn’t poor, like so many in the town, but I can’t imagine that his two-story home survived. I’m almost positive he would have evacuated, but I’m still waiting to hear from him.

My heart breaks for those who have lost everything they own and even loved ones. Thank goodness your children heeded your pleas, @oceanblueeyes.

‘I Got Stuck’: In Poor, Rural Communities, Fleeing Hurricane Michael Was Tough
Lilibet, I hope you hear from you uncle soon. I know you are concerned. Being able to communicate with loved ones seems to be a huge problem. Maybe tomorrow you will hear from him, I hope.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back