Hurricane Michael - October 2018

Article from the 12th.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/12/homeless-man-accused-of-molesting-girl-at-hurricane-michael-shelter/

Homeless man accused of molesting girl at Hurricane Michael shelter

A homeless man was busted for sexually molesting a 6-year-old girl at an emergency Hurricane Michael shelter in Florida, local police said.

John Stapleton, 60, inappropriately touched the girl Thursday inside Davidson Middle School — which had been used to house those forced to evacuate during the deadly storm, the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office said.

Last edited:
It was two days after Hurricane Michael, and Eddie Foster was pushing his mother in a wheelchair down a thoroughly smashed street, his face creased with a concentrated dose of the frustration and fear that has afflicted much of the Florida Panhandle since the brutal storm turned its coast to rubble.

He was in a working-class neighborhood called Millville, where many residents said they were becoming desperate for even basic necessities. Mr. Foster, 60, and his 99-year-old mother had no car, no electricity. The food had spoiled in his refrigerator. The storm had ripped off large sections of his roof. He had no working plumbing to flush with. No water to drink. And as of Friday afternoon, he had seen no sign of government help.

But in a city of unusable toilets and iffy cellular service — where nearly every street seemed like a set from a disaster movie — tensions were occasionally high as people waited for their first hot meal since Tuesday night. Before noon, a shouting match broke out between two men waiting for their barbecue plates. “Stop it!” a server admonished them at the top of his lungs. “Now we’re all being kind — got it?”

‘We Need Answers’: Hurricane Michael Leaves Florida Residents Desperate for Aid

OBE.....would you ask hubby which generator he prefers. Thinking of one that would power a refrigerator and a small AC or small heater and a TV.
Thanks so much....Lato
Lato, not OBE, but I can tell you what we use. We had a Generac for years, got us through many a storm. We replaced it last year before Irma with another Generac 5500. We can run our fridge, freezer, a couple of lights, fan, tv, and a small 5,000btu room ac without any problem. The small ac gives you one room to escape the heat and for sleeping. If you get a bigger generator it will use more gas and that becomes a problem when gas lines are long and scarce. Hope that helps.

Oh then DH and I both received an "Extreme alert" on our cell phones this afternoon:

Bay county food and or water site Rosenwald Middle School 924 Bay Ave Panama City

Boy whoever sent this out REALLY goofed and sent it to everyone in the state. WTH.

What was that 'emergency alert' that just appeared on your cell phone?

Apparently it was not just the Tampa Bay area that received this alert either, according to the above link.
We got them too Mary, must be the whole state.

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WMBB) – Due to ongoing serious communication issues in the Florida Panhandle after Hurricane Michael, the Florida National Guard has launched a website where people who may be worried about someone else can file a report.

Those who visit the website can report what county the person they are looking for is located, as well as other vital information including the type of safety issue that may be at hand.

Those issues may include a medical emergency, entrapment, a missing person or someone who is running out of medication or oxygen supply.

To access the website, click here.

FL National Guard launches website for life safety reports due to ongoing communication issues

FRANKLIN COUNTY, Fla. (WTXL) - Florida Governor Rick Scott helped the Florida National Guard with an air drop of food, water and supplies into Franklin County for families in need on Saturday.

Scott departed the State Emergency Operations Center in Tallahassee after a briefing with Florida Division of Emergency Management to assist Florida National Guard troops with the air drop.

The state has millions of meals and gallons of water on their way into the impacted communities, including 3 million meals ready to eat, 2 million gallons of water and 2 million pounds of ice.

Gov. Scott, Florida National Guard deliver supplies to Franklin County

14michael-search1-articleLarge.jpg

They raced to reach the injured, the dead and those in need of help, hoping to chip away at a long list of people reportedly missing in Florida after one of the most powerful storms in United States history. The death count is 18, but is likely to rise. CrowdSource Rescue, a Houston volunteer group, reported it had located 754 people.
In Mexico Beach on Saturday, near where the hurricane made landfall, members of South Florida Task Force 2, a search team from Miami, trudged through a pile of ruins. Someone smelled something: a scent that disaster veterans fear. One that suggests a pile of rubble has become a grave.
So the team got to work. First came Dexter, the 7-year-old golden retriever trained to sniff out human life, whom rescuers hope will bark. Then came Luna, the 6-year-old Belgian Malinois from the United States Border Patrol trained to sniff out human remains, whom rescuers hope will remain silent.
14michael-search2-articleLarge.jpg

Luna clambered on the pieces of roof on the ground and into a puddle of seawater and over wooden shambles. The officers waited.
She did not bark. The site was clear.

“It’s not necessarily definitive,” warned Capt. Ignatius Carroll of Miami Fire Rescue. “But this is the most important part right here: the human remains dog.”
With Sniffer Dogs and Hope, Rescue Teams Comb Shambles Left by Hurricane Michael

Hurricane Michael's devastation still being assessed -- live updates

Death toll climbs to 19
The death toll from Hurricane Michael climbed to 19 late Saturday with a second death confirmed in Mexico Beach, Florida.

So far, nine deaths have been attributed from Michael in Florida, where the storm came ashore with 155 mph winds. There were six deaths in Virginia, three in North Carolina and one in Georgia.

I'm heartbroken for the residents of Mexico Beach. Cariis posted some photos of the beautiful seaside town before the hurricane destroyed it. What a lovely place it once was - a refuge from the clamour of the world.

Now it's gone.

This was a town that was one of the few places in this country that was free of corporate chain stores. The businesses were all family owned and operated.

A paradise has been lost.

obe.....thank you so much. Of course no hurry re generator....lol. You are doing so much. Thanks.

Good morning.

My hubby recommends you purchase a 5500 to 6500 watt capacity generator. He likes the Champion line or those made by Honda.

If you get gas it will run continuously for 10 to 12 hours on 6 gallons of gas or less.

Once it runs for that long you can shut it off for a few hours and food inside freezers or inside your refrigerator will remain cold. Then in a few hours..maybe four or five hours...you can power it on again if needed.

My hubby said each item you want to have power has a certain wattage for it to run. Usually you can find it listed in the inside of your refrigerator or on light/lamp etc. Example... a 100 watt lightbulb takes that amount of wattage to work. Lol He said with a 5500 watt capacity generator you should have more wattage available than you are likely to need in total for the things you have listed.

Everyone should always remember that almost all generators are outside units. At times like this I have read sad stories where the people brought them inside due to them not knowing the deadly consequences.

I hope all of this makes sense and helps answer your questions. Everyone should really buy a generator in case they lose power for any reason.

Well it looks like it may be tomorrow before we have power. That is another memorable date I will be able to remember since tomorrow is one of our daughter's birthday. LOL!

Ocean

Last edited:
Oh then DH and I both received an "Extreme alert" on our cell phones this afternoon:

Bay county food and or water site Rosenwald Middle School 924 Bay Ave Panama City

Boy whoever sent this out REALLY goofed and sent it to everyone in the state. WTH.

What was that 'emergency alert' that just appeared on your cell phone?

Apparently it was not just the Tampa Bay area that received this alert either, according to the above link.

DH and I were in a Best Buy near Ocala when it went out. Phones were blaring throughout the store.

It seemed to be an announcement of where to get food and water.

I feel the full pain and frustration of those who remained and are in the most affected area in the panhandle of Florida and its heartbreakung.

Understandably emotions are running high. But so many roads in are impassable. It takes a large amount of time .. work..and equipment before carvans of semis can even be able to get to the areas in need.

All of the areas leading into these areas have major debris fields including downed trees..roads filled with all sorts of splintered homes and businesses and electrical lines that may be be live and ruptured gas lines.

All of that must be cleared which is a tremendous undertaking that may take a week or more to access the parts of Florida who are in great need.

Due to that being the situation it's better for smaller vehicles to come in trying to find road access..even small backwood roads where large caravans of semis cant access but where smaller carvans of small vehicles possibly can.

Our granddaughter finally was able to go where her home once stood.

It took her and her husband hours once arriving in Port st. Joe to even find a way there. They had to constantly back up and turn around because almost all roads there are impassable and They went in day before yesterday.

Its just a nightmare due too so much huge debris throughout in every area affected.

The damage is so widespread and she said it really cant be fully comprehended until she was in ground zero. She said it looks like a war zone that were hit by bombs.

She said making her way out was just as difficult because trees are continuing to topple over.

My heart goes out to all of them. I hope some can make their way there like our grandaughter did and take the survivors out of the area in their smaller vehicles now. At least until everything has been cleared and no longer a danger for the first responder teams from all over the country who are trying to get into the area to help those in desperate need.

Even here we have constantly had to find roads that are passable in order to help our family and friends and we weren't hit nearly as hard as MB and PC or PSJ.

God bless them all and give them strength during this unbelievable devastating time for them all.

Last edited:
OMG praise the good Lord above.

I was sitting here reading your posts when all of a sudden I heard the sound of our security system start beeping and then I could feel the air from the overhead air conditioner vents pushing cold air into our home. Yippee!!

Now I have to see if our daughter has power since she doesnt live far from us. We were the only two families that didn't have power yet.

OMG praise the good Lord above.

I was sitting here reading your posts when all of a sudden I heard the sound of our security system start beeping and then I could feel the air from the overhead air conditioner vents pushing cold air into our home. Yippee!!

Now I have to see if our daughter has power since she doesnt live far from us. We were the only two families that didn't have power yet.
WhoooHooo...let's applaud all of those wonderful electric workers that have congregated from all over to help with the power outages!

Happy for you OBE!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back