MN MN - Belinda VanLith, 17, Little Eagle Lake, 15 June 1974

Gloria Freida Rieken does resemble her looks and "type", but then again, so does
Kathy Beatty another considered victim of the criminal - Lloyd Welch who assaulted a MN girl in 1974. MOO

Timothy Joseph Crosby does seem like a likely suspect and one investigated by law enforcement in recent years. Evidently he was staying in a cabin close to where Belinda was last known to be prior to her disappearance.

LINK:

Two cold cases, a single suspect – Twin Cities
Hello Richard, thanks for the update. I have just read this thread and it
made me think if anyone knows much about B.V.’s neighbor she was babysitting for.
The neighbor who was out of town for his song recording, and needed B.V. to babysit, who returned to his house find Belinda’s purse left behind and a missing babysitter. This neighbor was apparently married more than once, had many children, ex-wives, extended family and divorced once more after Belinda’s disappearance. He must have been ruled out?

So if a DNA/saliva samples were taken from Crosby, what was the outcome as far as a match to the prostitute’s (Morris) case? Wouldn’t there have been an indictment if there was a match? So many of these pedophiles play the “lawyer card” and are untouchable, it is disheartening.

Last edited:
So if a DNA/saliva samples were taken from Crosby, what was the outcome as far as a match to the prostitute’s (Morris) case? Wouldn’t there have been an indictment if there was a match? So many of these pedophiles play the “lawyer card” and are untouchable, it is disheartening.

The 2009 investigation into Crosby was a result of the Morris case, as seen in Richard's post #6. In my post #17 the link provided (to the court record of Crosby's appeal against commitment) specifies that Crosby was eliminated from the case under investigation (presumably Morris unless there were two simultaneous cases under investigation) as a result of the DNA sample.

I don’t want to develop the tendency to focus exclusively on a single culprit,
but wish to examine ALL myriad possibilities of someone else being the sole perpetrator.
Thank you for your attention to details and your specific research. I shall try
to read the existing content (post #17) more carefully from now on before posting.

I think Glorida Riekens case is connected to this case. Lloyd lee Welch could be another suspect. He was convicted in the 1975 killings of two Maryland sisters a year ago who were blonde like Belinda and Gloria.

I don’t want to develop the tendency to focus exclusively on a single culprit,
but wish to examine ALL myriad possibilities of someone else being the sole perpetrator.
Thank you for your attention to details and your specific research. I shall try
to read the existing content (post #17) more carefully from now on before posting.

I was not suggesting you should have been aware of the finding regarding Crosby, only answering the question you asked. No one can read all the material and the reference to the dna finding is buried in a fairly lengthy legal report! I do agree that the case against Crosby is circumstantial.

Hello Richard, thanks for the update. I have just read this thread and it
made me think if anyone knows much about B.V.’s neighbor she was babysitting for.
The neighbor who was out of town for his song recording, and needed B.V. to babysit, who returned to his house find Belinda’s purse left behind and a missing babysitter. This neighbor was apparently married more than once, had many children, ex-wives, extended family and divorced once more after Belinda’s disappearance. He must have been ruled out?

The guy Belinda was housesitting for was ruled out. She lived near his house so they assumed she had left for the day to swim & that she would come back. It wasn't until the following day when no one had heard/seen her that they filed a report. Also, Belinda was meant to watch the house & tend to the chickens he kept. She was there alone for a week and was last heard from a friend Saturday the 15th at 8-9am.

Tim Crosby was the last person to be confirmed to see Belinda alive on the day of her disappearance. He was staying next door alone.

Last edited:
The guy Belinda was housesitting for was ruled out. She lived near his house so they assumed she had left for the day to swim & that she would come back. It wasn't until the following day when no one had heard/seen her that they filed a report. Also, Belinda was meant to watch the house & tend to the chickens he kept. She was there alone for a week and was last heard from a friend Saturday the 15th at 8-9am.

Tim Crosby was the last person to be confirmed to see Belinda alive on the day of her disappearance. He was staying next door alone.
I still wonder if Tim was responsible for the 1970 death of Gloria Rieken but I’m unsure. He was only 15 when it happened.

Missing for 45 years...

BVanLith.jpg

Name: Belinda VanLith
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: June 15, 1974
Location Last Seen: Little Eagle Lake, Wright County, Minnesota

Physical Description
Date of Birth: May 20, 1957
Race: White
Height: 5'5'
Weight: 110 lbs
Hair Color: Blonde/Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Nickname/Alias: N/A
Distinguishing Marks/Features: None

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Belinda VanLith was last seen house-sitting for a neighbor around 8 a.m. on June 15, 1974. She then disappeared from the property located on Little Eagle Lake, in Wright County, MN. Little Eagle Lake is located east of Eagle Lake in Silver Creek Township, northeast of Maple Lake. Belinda's family expected her to be home in order to attend her sister's graduation party.

Belinda is described as a normal teen, who enjoyed gardening, had plenty of friends, and did a lot of babysitting. Foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Wright County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Detective Jake Hermansen #351
Agency Phone Number: 763-684-4530
Agency E-Mail: jake.hermansen@co.wright.mn.us
Agency Case Number: 14558
NCIC Case Number: M957207907
NamUs Case Number: 4664

Information Source(s)

NamUs
Nampn
Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension