Hurricane Michael - October 2018

Still no activity. @floridamomma, please check in when you can.

I checked her profile and she hadn't been on the site since Oct 8, after she said she was evacuating.

I know she hasn't been active, I asked here in case someone was in touch with her off of the site. I know that I have checked in for people in the past and I was hoping perhaps another local was in a position to do that for her as well.

I know she hasn't been active, I asked here in case someone was in touch with her off of the site. I know that I have checked in for people in the past and I was hoping perhaps another local was in a position to do that for her as well.

Understood. I was "bumping" more than offering info, hoping as you are that someone knows how to contact her.

St. Augustine man reunited with father who rode out Michael

A St. Augustine man is relieved his father is OK after his dad was stuck in his Mexico Beach home due to debris and flooding from Hurricane Michael.

Ron Reinhardt traveled to Mexico Beach over the weekend to bring his 79-year-old father, John, back to St. Augustine. A response team located John after the storm on Oct. 11, but the younger Reinhardt was not sure how his dad was doing because he hadn't spoken with him since Oct. 9.

Good story. After Sandy and our rebuild, they also required us to put in Helical Piles, basically screws that go down 25 feet that are anchored somehow to the concrete footing or something like that. Because our soil is sandy and we live on the bay, any flooding (or worse, wave action) to our home won't shift the house.

JerseyGirl, the owners of the lone surviving house on Mexico beach arrived to assess the damage, and were interviewed on CNN. Hope they rebroadcast, and am sure they will update in articles about the hurricane construction of the house.

They used 40 foot Piles that continued up to the third floor for structural support. Small hurricane windows on beach side, small soffits, no overhanging roof, cement board, no vinyl, no third floor porch, etc. are some of the features. Realistically, construction cost is probably 30% higher.

Of course, the sadness is now they no longer have any neighbors. But it is a blueprint for how to build right on the beach, in such a vulnerable place.

Hubby and I have been planning to move to Florida to live on a boat.
Are we crazy?
We currently live in Southern California, where we have serious firestorms.
I personally do not know what is causing global warming, but do beleive that it exhists and will continue to have an impact on much of the world including the USA.

We are honestly confused.
We are nearly going broke here in So. CA.
Everday is a worry.
Our house rent is $2,750. and our restaurant's space location is $4,200. utilities are $2,000. For our restaurant and $800. For our rental. Not including phone service and wifi of $300.
Even after this hurricane, would you make this move? From So. CALIFORNIA TO FLORIDA?

Meh, I wouldn't, I am terrified of watercraft as it is: boat, kayak, gargantuan cruise ship, you name it.

Florida has been overrated for quite some time now, and one of my friends tells me that houseboats and Lake Champlain is where it's at right now. Oh and that the Adirondacks are still boss over Siesta Key and red tide. Living in Florida has not only aggravated my arthritis it's also done a number on my right hand.

Did I forget to mention our ongoing Burmese python problem?

Whoever decided to label Florida as paradise ought to be run out of Dodge.

MOO

Last edited:
Clean up is going to take some time, MOO here but I don't think Mexico Beach should be overbuilt again.

I think it could be if it was planned properly instead of the ad hoc development that has taken place over recent decades. That might mean the end of the affordable wooden bungalow which seems to have attracted many people, especially retirees, on limited incomes and the growth of larger much more expensive hurricane-proof properties like the one which famously did survive. It would probably require the redesign of utilities and services to be more robust as well, eg [better] weather shielding of transformers and communications networks.

And @Skittles who I think is in VA or the Carolinas. Hope all is well. Please check in when you can.

The story about how the mountains are affected by storms like this is really scary.

Skittles was liking posts on Friday and logged in again on Monday.

I've still seen no sign of floridamomma.

Is there anyone else unaccounted for or is she the only one?

Skittles was liking posts on Friday and logged in again on Monday.

I've still seen no sign of floridamomma.

Is there anyone else unaccounted for or is she the only one?

My 90 year old uncle isn’t a Websleuther, but I’m still waiting to hear from him. I discovered that his house on the water south of Panacea is still standing, amazingly. I expect he is in Georgia with family and has no internet yet. At least that’s my hope. I certainly hope floridamama is OK and is just unable to post.

Meh, I wouldn't, I am terrified of watercraft as it is: boat, kayak, gargantuan cruise ship, you name it.

Florida has been overrated for quite some time now, and one of my friends tells me that houseboats and Lake Champlain is where it's at right now. Oh and that the Adirondacks are still boss over Siesta Key and red tide. Living in Florida has not only aggravated my arthritis it's also done a number on my right hand.

Did I forget to mention our ongoing Burmese python problem?

Whoever decided to label Florida as paradise ought to be run out of Dodge.

MOO

Lol!!!

Mary, epic post... Five stars!!

It Is certainly not for everyone. However I have already been living on our sailboat for 2 weeks a month for two years.
It is my happy place. Course, I am in San Diego.
Where boating is pretty darn awesome.
Everyone I knew who lived on boats in the Jax area has sold and moved into real homes - usually in some other state, lol.

Firefighter dies clearing hurricane debris in Panhandle

Gulf County Fire Coordinator Brad Price, firefighter and paramedic, was helping to clear debris Hurricane Michael left behind Thursday when a tree fell on his tractor.

"We are heartbroken to announce the loss of one of our own," the Gulf County Sheriff's Office announced on social media, hours after colleagues found the 49-year-old father of two and youth softball coach from Wewahitchka dead.

Agnes Vicari is the missing woman I have been seeing these postings about on social media.
Families of people missing after Hurricane Michael turn to social media for clues

‘There are no shelters in Mexico Beach’: Last words from Hurricane Michael victim
OCT 22, 2018
In the final hours before Hurricane Michael crumbled her Mexico Beach home around her, Agnes Vicari called her niece with a promise.

"I made a mistake. I won't make a mistake again," she told Joanne Garone Behnke the morning the storm hit. Vicari, 79, who lived in a small one-story home just yards from the Gulf of Mexico, promised she'd evacuate the next time a storm came, that she'd see them soon to celebrate Behnke's husband retiring.

"Aunt Aggie, you can still go to a shelter," Behnke begged.

"There are no shelters in Mexico Beach," Vicari said, before the call ended.

Vicari became one of the first names of the dead to emerge from Bay County last week, five days after her body was pulled from the rubble of her coastal home.

Thank you for posting that article @SeesSeas. I had not seen that. I had been following the family's search all week on social media. It was very confusing and conflicting and everyone had been hoping for a different outcome. It makes me so sad for anyone to be scared and alone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back