Identified! WI - Delafield, WhtMale, UP7632, car stolen, lighter, Sep'77 - John Lindberg Scott

Is James Charles Stanford the possible match? He is recently added to NamUs and has zero exclusions listed.

Missing Person Case

It might be a while before Mas.Nitram is able to respond here so I wanted to step in and let you know that James Charles Stanford is not the missing person being associated with this case. Great find, though, and what a unique story! I will let you know when there are any further updates to be shared.

It might be a while before Mas.Nitram is able to respond here so I wanted to step in and let you know that James Charles Stanford is not the missing person being associated with this case. Great find, though, and what a unique story! I will let you know when there are any further updates to be shared.

If it turns out the person currently being compared is ruled out, then perhaps James Charles Stanford should be compared. Aside from the 3" difference in their height, I couldn't find a reason to 'rule out' JCS.

Praying this is the last anniversary without him being id'd.

It's been awhile, and I'm not an expert, but I'm wondering if DNA from just one sibling would be enough for a positive id. Everything I've read in the past indicates a few relatives are usually needed for a positive id.

Could it be the results came back as inconclusive and additional family members willing to submit DNA would be necessary?

Praying this is the last anniversary without him being id'd.

It's been awhile, and I'm not an expert, but I'm wondering if DNA from just one sibling would be enough for a positive id. Everything I've read in the past indicates a few relatives are usually needed for a positive id.

Could it be the results came back as inconclusive and additional family members willing to submit DNA would be necessary?

I sincerely hope DNA does not come back inconclusive, though it’s certainly a possibility. UNTCHI does prefer two samples, however at this time only one family member is willing to provide a sample. The good news is that only one maternal relative is required in order to run a comparison, and this was able to be acquired. Fingers crossed!

Just out of curiousity, which state/area was the possible family member from? Im still trying to figure out if JD was trying to return HOME to WI? Or running away from IL to WI? Or any other option I guess. Im so excited to see some progress is being made with this and the case hasnt turned stone cold!

Bumpity, bump. Any news on when the DNA comparison might be complete?

Bumpity, bump. Any news on when the DNA comparison might be complete?
Hi Cubby! The DNA was sent off three months ago. I know they say these things generally take 6 months, but a recent identification in Wisconsin which had DNA run through UNTCHI took 11 months for the results to come back. So based on that timeline, I would guess we are looking at 3-8 more months for any results to be returned. Hopefully it will be closer to the 3 month mark.

Unidentified Person Case

I just noticed a LUMS pen is listed as an item found with our guy. LUMS was a restaurant chain which is now out of business.

There was a LUMS restaurant on St. Charles Rd. in Villa Park, IL back in the 70's. It's currently a cigar shop and prior to becoming a cigar shop it was a German restaurant, though I can't recall the name.

Maybe if can find the locations of the Lums restaurants in 1977 we can pinpoint or narrow down areas our guy could have visited or been from.

Villa Park is very near Wheaton, about 15 minutes by car. One can get to and from Wheaton Il and Villa Park Il, and both the Gaeddes clothing store and Lums restaurant via what was then the Chicago Northwestern train, and the Prairie Path, a walking, biking trail.

It was the Villa Dumpling after Lums at 300 E. St. Charles Rd.

We had a Lums in my town in the early 70s, but I can't remember when it changed names. Now it is a locally owned/local chain eating establishment.

It might be some work, but it would be nice if we could get a list of male inmates released from the DuPage county jail from Sept 1st through Sept 13th of 1977. We could go down the list and see who can or can't be accounted for after Sept 13, 1977.

That Lums pen, imo, is additional confirmation he was physically in the Wheaton area as opposed to obtaining those Gaede clothes outside the immediate area.

I had a Lum's hot dog once. Man it was good. In the Denver area in the late 70's I think. So while I tend to agree it tends to point to a local connection, it's possible it came from out of the area.

According to Wikipedia, Lums had 273 restaurant locations when it was sold in 1978. The purchasing company over extended themselves and went bankrupt. The Lums restaurant closed in 2017.
Lum's - Wikipedia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back