Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly hope they don't mess up the police investigation by leaking more information.

I think they need to demonstrate that they're genuinely interested in justice, not just public relations. Unfortunately, while it wasn't deliberate, they've increased the public tendency to believe in corruption and conspiracies, and that's really not a wise move for anyone who wants to enjoy their wealth in peace. For example, the uncertainty may be affecting Apotex's business and profitability.

The media report that became the basis of allegations of corruption and conspiracy theories was never attributed to anyone other than a anonymous source. Neither Greenspan nor his team nor TPS have either confirmed or denied the information below, or that which insinuated it was only the PI team’s autopsy that identified double homicide. For that reason alone, I think the press conference is warranted to clear the air. In my opinion far to much information in this case has been anonymously leaked and that also becomes a hindrance to the investigation.

But Saturday, all manner of lurid details about the couple’s deaths — that their wrists had been bound; that they were wearing winter coats that would have immobilized their arms; that they may have died a day or two before the discovery of the bodies; that Mrs. Sherman struggled with her killer or killers and was found lying in a pool of her own blood, and that it all looked like the work of professional killers or like a “contract killing” — were splashed all over the Star and the CBC website.

“They were murdered” read the unequivocal front-page headline in the Star.

“Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered by multiple killers, private investigators believe: source” said the CBC’s version.

Again, the information was unattributed, sources described this way by the Star, “People providing information for this story are not identified as they were not authorized to discuss the case,” and at the CBC simply as “a source with direct knowledge of the parallel probe…”

But later Saturday, Greenspan spoke to the Toronto Sun about the already published stories. He said he was surprised by the reports, that he “highly” doubted the leaks had come from anyone on his team (but that if the leaks had come from someone on the team that person would be let go), and said that any “observations” made by the team “would be first shared with the Toronto police. We are not here to interfere with police but to support them.”
Christie Blatchford: Private investigators in Sherman case share police penchant for leaks

Just to keep a link handy for tomorrow's update...
Billionaire Sherman murders private investigation update set for Friday
"A team of private investigators hired to look into the murders of a billionaire couple in Toronto are scheduled to provide an update on the case later this week.
Watch the press conference live on CTVNews.ca this Friday @ 2 p.m. ET"

rbbm.
Private investigators to give update on deaths of Barry, Honey Sherman
"Brian Greenspan, counsel for the Sherman family, will be joined by “several members of his investigative team” at the Apotex offices Friday afternoon, according to a media release from the company.

Toronto Police Homicide Sergeant Hank Idsinga said Wednesday morning that his team was aware of the press conference, but added that he does not know what the update would be."

Is that usual? That private investigators hold a press conference about an open case without informing the police of what they're going to discuss?

Everything already published by the media, including the anonymous leaks attributed to the PI team, I don’t think the police were ever informed before hand either. But considering virtually the entire PI team have strong experience with homicide investigations, I think they’re well aware of avoiding any risks to jeopardize the official investigation.

For all we know, maybe an arrest is on the horizon and their purpose is to re-familiarize the general public with the case and put some of rumours and misinformation to rest?

Surely it can't be anything significant, as they would have to take it to police first? Unless they want to strong arm a certain (re)action from LE.

Greenspan has stated all along they’re working in parallel with TPS. There’s absolutely nothing to suggest they’re adversaries. Typically PI teams are able to do a substantial amount of ground work in order to provide LE with high quality leads and tips so it also saves the police force time and money. In Canada the respective regulations which govern police officers versus PIs are not equal so there are times when it’s beneficial for a PI team to support an open investigation.

I’ve not noticed another case where families have faced criticism for hiring a PI team to assist with an investigation (not directing this comment to you whatsoever). In the US it’s very common.

Is that usual? That private investigators hold a press conference about an open case without informing the police of what they're going to discuss?
It used to be Eddie Greenspan, now deceased, rather than his younger brother Brian, who was always holding press conferences about cases. He was perpetually in the news.

Both brothers are/were defence lawyers, and work pretty much exclusively with high profile cases and rich/famous defendents. It's kind of a niche business.

Since they're usually acting for the defense, I think it is/was normal for them to be adversarial against police and prosecutors. And especially with Eddie, to give unlimited interviews about his cases to the news media. It's extremely unusual for lawyers in Canada to say more than brief platitudes to reporters.

I remember Eddie Greenspan took on a similar role as this for the Ianiero family, who's parents were murdered at a high-end hotel in Cancun 20 years ago. It was Eddie Greenspan and his PI's, against the inept and corrupt Yucatan police. Same deal, with episodes on W5 and the fifth estate, discussing the crime with the Canadian media rather than the local police. They identified their prime suspect to the public, a staff security guard, but of course couldn't track the guy down much less arrest him.

I would contrast this to the anonymous PI who was hired by a family whose father was murdered in Panama. For a couple of years, not a peep was heard. Then the perp and associates were arrested by local police, it was the family who revealed the motive and the role of the PI to the Canadian media.

Last edited:
Yes, Eddie Greenspan was always in the news re: cases he worked on.
He even had a tv show of his own, if I remember correctly.

He was the guy I would go to if I ever was caught up in anything nefarious.

I'm sure his brother is similar in demeanour.

It would be quite something if he announces they have a serious suspect in these murders!!

He was the guy I would go to if I ever was caught up in anything nefarious.
RSBM

This was the thing I wondered, was all the media coverage mostly a marketing strategy, to get name recognition and ensure the best (ie priciest) cases came his way?

He was, as far as I know, a respected lawyer, but other lawyers in Canada would never say anything to publicly criticize his strategy. And, of course, the media adored him. You could always count on getting a juicy quote from Eddie.

It used to be Eddie Greenspan, now deceased, rather than his younger brother Brian, who was always holding press conferences about cases. He was perpetually in the news.

Both brothers are/were defence lawyers, and work pretty much exclusively with high profile cases and rich/famous defendents. It's kind of a niche business.

Since they're usually acting for the defense, I think it is/was normal for them to be adversarial against police and prosecutors. And especially with Eddie, to give unlimited interviews about his cases to the news media. It's extremely unusual for lawyers in Canada to say more than brief platitudes to reporters.

I remember Eddie Greenspan took on a similar role as this for the Ianiero family, who's parents were murdered at a high-end hotel in Cancun 20 years ago. It was Eddie Greenspan and his PI's, against the inept and corrupt Yucatan police. Same deal, with episodes on W5 and the fifth estate, discussing the crime with the Canadian media rather than the local police. They identified their prime suspect to the public, a staff security guard, but of course couldn't track the guy down much less arrest him.

I would contrast this to the anonymous PI who was hired by a family whose father was murdered in Panama. For a couple of years, not a peep was heard. Then the perp and associates were arrested by local police, it was the family who revealed the motive and the role of the PI to the Canadian media.

There are advantages to a lawyer hiring a PI team although in the example of an murder investigation, I don’t know how it would be helpful. Although Greenspan is not acting in the capacity of a defence attorney, both his leadership and knowledge of Canadian law would certainly be an asset.

“....When a lawyer is retained and the lawyer in turn retains the private investigator, all information provided by the private investigator is privileged if not used as evidence. In litigation, private investigators cannot claim a qualified privilege between themselves and their clients....”
Investigation services - Legal Line

Kevin Donovan was just on CP24 about tomorrows announcements.

He suspects they'll question the amount of time lapsed before TPS took DNA from those close to the family. He also says they may well offer a reward for information.

How he would know, is beyond me.

I hope it doesn't become a criticism of the TPS as they are still working on the case.

rbbm.
WARMINGTON: Private investigators to update Sherman murder case

"In the investigative world, where the first 48 hours are key in any homicide case, that’s a huge a head start the killer or killers had on law enforcement."

"Legendary lawyer Brian Greenspan is not saying how much he will talk about any concern of potential tunnel vision by the police.

In fact, on Wednesday he was referring all calls to Jordan Berman, Apotex vice-president, global corporate communications, who issued a news release saying “Brian Greenspan, counsel for the family of Barry and Honey Sherman, will provide an update on the investigation into their murders.”
"It’s unclear what Greenspan will reveal.
Perhaps a theory? An appeal for someone to speak out? Perhaps his team’s own video evidence? An offer of a reward? Further commentary on the police’s original belief?"
Klatt did not tip his hand, but did say there is one thing he does believe in his bones after 40 years of chasing killers.

“This is a solvable case,” he told the Sun. “It is a complex and complicated case, but I have confidence it can be solved.”

How he would know, is beyond me.
Is it? Its quite clearly a media ploy. Friday afternoon PC means the Saturday papers will have their story on the front page.

Comical really. Ten months, 200 of metro's finest working the case, and access to all resources imaginable, yet Greenspan and his team of retirees, working out of a garage somewhere are the ones that have news to share.

Just speculation, but I would guess there is one person in particular that the family and the family business would really, really like to see arrested.

This person frequently appears in the media making pretty venomous accusations against both Shermans. Just a few days ago this person featured prominently in the Bloomberg article about the case. Bloomberg is in the major league of news media, in comparison to which the Toronto Sun and W5 are in the peewee division.

I imagine that, quite possibly, there is a good deal of knashing of teeth in the family and family business just now, about why TPS is allowing this person to walk loose, to give these kinds of interviews.

I hope Brian Greenspan is able to keep a level head and unbiased view of this case, and advise his clients to be patient and trust the process. But it's also possible he's under a great deal of pressure to do something, anything to try to rectify this. After all, isn't that what he's being paid for?

Joe Warmington and l text each other ALL the time. He’s a fine reporter who knows when something doesn’t add up....like the Sherman’s targeted by multiple murderers!!!!!

How sure are you that you’re both adding the same numbers?

BBM.

WARMINGTON: Private investigators to update Sherman murder case
“....Klatt did not tip his hand, but did say there is one thing he does believe in his bones after 40 years of chasing killers.

“This is a solvable case,” he told the Sun. “It is a complex and complicated case, but I have confidence it can be solved.”

So while it’s true Honey and Barry Sherman’s killer or killers had a sizable getaway window, it’s also true there are still many people chasing them....”

Just speculation, but I would guess there is one person in particular that the family and the family business would really, really like to see arrested.

This person frequently appears in the media making pretty venomous accusations against both Shermans. Just a few days ago this person featured prominently in the Bloomberg article about the case. Bloomberg is in the major league of news media, in comparison to which the Toronto Sun and W5 are in the peewee division.

I imagine that, quite possibly, there is a good deal of knashing of teeth in the family and family business just now, about why TPS is allowing this person to walk loose, to give these kinds of interviews.

I hope Brian Greenspan is able to keep a level head and unbiased view of this case, and advise his clients to be patient and trust the process. But it's also possible he's under a great deal of pressure to do something, anything to try to rectify this. After all, isn't that what he's being paid for?

Wildly speculative, but I suppose there could be the possibility of an announcement of a wrongful death civil suit. I personally don’t think so, just mentioning it because evidence brought forward in civil suits can be introduced into criminal trials as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123