Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to wait until the press conference is over and I can watch back again, but Greenspan said something like the police initially determined it as suicide/murder-suicide, and if they had checked all possible entry points for forced entry properly they would have seen that wasn't the case.
I think they're still upset with that first leak, that came from who knows where, back in the first hours of the investigation. Talk about flogging a dead horse.

Police don't believe it was a murder-suicide. They announced it was a double murder back in January.
I know. I used the past tense. Toronto police indicated immediately that they were not looking for a suspect, before there was even any investigation. They jumped to that conclusion right off the bat. It made no sense, unless they were saying that to lull suspects into a false sense of security.

I'm usually very pro-law enforcement, but I'm sorry to say I think the Toronto Police botched this case. Maybe money will help find the perps.

The private team is emphasising that their resources can help the police with the investigation. Several questions from the journalists suggest a sense of scepticism about the team's impartiality.

Journalist: Rewards can be offered if there are no more leads, or if there is one potential 'big break' lead - was this press conference called because of either? Greenspan: Could be one or the other'.

I disagree. There were other people on hand when the police came, who also had discovered the bodies. And police could see the scene for themselves, no one had touched anything.

Please clarify- how do you know that no one had "touched anything"? The police weren't called for almost an hour after the bodies were initially discovered. There was lots of time for the crime scene to have been "touched".

Sounds like the private team may have found there was forced entry via a different route into the house that the police didn't find.
I don't think the private team discovered that, police discovered it during the investigation. But according to the family, they didn't discover it quickly enough.

To me, this is a continuation of the family being enraged that the case wasn't immediately declared a homicide by TPS. Which gives scope for the media to keep alive the murder-suicide possibility, aided and abetted by KW.

The real culprit, the murderer who staged the deaths as suicide/murder-suucide, is probably sitting back and having a good laugh watching this catfight.

IMO one of the most interesting questions was asked right at the end. The questioner asked if it was possible that the reason TPS hasn't shared much info with the Private investigative team was that TPS hadn't eliminated the PI team's clients (i.e. the family) as potential suspects. IMO Greenspan looked a bit like a deer in the headlights when that question was asked, and to me it looked like the question caught him by surprise and he hadn't considered it. He fumbled for a couple of seconds and then simply answered that TPS hadn't informed him as to whether that was the case. I found that interraction quite interesting.

Please clarify- how do you know that no one had "touched anything"? The police weren't called for almost an hour after the bodies were initially discovered. There was lots of time for the crime scene to have been "touched".
I am presuming the people who called 911 told police they didn't touch anything. I am assuming not everything is a conspiracy.

I am presuming the people who called 911 told police they didn't touch anything. I am assuming not everything is a conspiracy.

I am not assuming a conspiracy either. But the people that discovered the bodies were long gone by the time police arrived. Is it reasonable for TPS to just ASSUME that these people hadn't entered or approached the crime scene, without even asking them for "a week or two" afterwards? I don't think that is a reasonable approach IMO.

All that I got out of that press conference is that police really don't give a $hit, which just further enforces my belief that they are already sure of what happened. This so called reward will do nothing but draw tips from a million crazies around the world that the family can later claim TPS didn't follow up on. Greenspan seemed intent on using this PC to further his business, making it an official private law enforcement agency. What a joke. The one reporter nailed it when he pointed out that police no duty to anyone but finding the truth, whilst Greenspan is committed to the family who are still butt hurt at the suggestion of murder suicide.

I know. I used the past tense. Toronto police indicated immediately that they were not looking for a suspect, before there was even any investigation. They jumped to that conclusion right off the bat. It made no sense, unless they were saying that to lull suspects into a false sense of security.

I'm usually very pro-law enforcement, but I'm sorry to say I think the Toronto Police botched this case. Maybe money will help find the perps.

Greenspan layed out an excellent invitation for TPS to reply. Every family of murder victims has the right to expect a thorough and proper investigation is taking place. If TPS made mistakes at the onset they have a public duty to admit it, as opposed to silence and secrecy which goes on to fuel needless speculation and false rumours.

Does anyone think the Prime Minister, Premier of the province, Wayne Gretzky and literally thousands of other prominent people with a reputation to uphold would have attended the funeral if there was an inkling of suspicion in the public's mind that Barry Sherman was a murderer? As the Star reported, "There was roiling anger." I didn't even know this couple, and I'm still mad the police let their hasty and unfounded conclusion leak and didn't retract it until January.

Does anyone think the Prime Minister, Premier of the province, Wayne Gretzky and literally thousands of other prominent people with a reputation to uphold would have attended the funeral if there was an inkling of suspicion in the public's mind that Barry Sherman was a murderer? As the Star reported, "There was roiling anger." I didn't even know this couple, and I'm still mad the police let their hasty and unfounded conclusion leak and didn't retract it until January.
Did you ever stop and think that the police were right in their initial conclusion?

Greenspan layed out an excellent invitation for TPS to reply. Every family of murder victims has the right to expect a thorough and proper investigation is taking place. If TPS made mistakes at the onset they have a public duty to admit it, as opposed to silence and secrecy which goes on to fuel needless speculation and false rumours.
Do you think that police are really that inept? This whole thing is a sham and todays press conference all but proved that.

Personally, I believe that statement was made to serve an important police function, which is to prevent public panic from the idea that someone is roaming around, breaking into homes and murdering the inhabitants. I've noticed LE usually make some kind of statement shartly after a crime like this, to the effect: public should exercise caution, or this appears to be targetted and the public is not at risk, etc.

In this case, in the first hours they were unsure what had happened, but what they said was true, as that officer knew it at that moment..

When police inform the public of the state of an investigation, they don't send a junior officer out to chat with random reporters. They hold an official press conference where the head of the investigation answers questions, because that's the person who knows the big picture.

I think reporters know this quite well, but the media is a competitive business, and they're chasing clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361