SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

<modsnip>I agree, that if LE is saying it is suicide, there isn't going to be any more information. If the case turns into an investigation, then I'll be back to discuss.

jmo

RIP to two beautiful young women.

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll probably never know the true story. Seeking asylum...instead they found something that was so devastating to them that they preferred death or more than likely, they met their worst nightmare. So very, very sad.

Maybe this is going on a really far tangent, but the possible timing of the sisters' disappearance and the fact these sisters are saudi nationals who were living in the US, made me have to look up something that's been in the news lately, the name Jamal Khashoggi. Apparently he was also from Jeddah, and moved to the US a year ago. He also lived in northern Virginia while working for the Washington Post.
Jamal Khashoggi obituary

I knew essentially what I would see when I clicked on the live shots of the bodies being removed, but it is still like a blast of cold water being thrown in my face. That body in the black back in the metal sling was a living and breathing person only a few hours before. We only get one life here on earth, and that person's time is just gone. I'm not used to it, either, and I'm grateful to say that I am not. It's just as disturbing as looking at the drawings on autopsy reports -- so sad and also so maddening. Be it ever thus for me. SMH. Just so, so sad. We never know who might be next...

Responding to this quote above and LLLindsayy's quote which I could not copy for some reason.

Sadly at this point I Think I am desensitized. It's the reality that I think people just don't want to face. As the old cliche goes.. The Only thing We HAVE to do is Die.

And no matter what, it's something that Everyone has in Common, no matter who you are.. It's going to happen.. like when people get all freaked out about the end of the world OMG we are going to die?!:eek:... Yeah but the thing people forget is.. we ARE going to die!! Whether it's the end of the world and we ALL die together or we die individually one by one as we have been for eternity.

There is no avoiding it . People go in different forms and at different times. Some are tragic and some just die peaceful in their sleep.

I look at death like Lotto, no matter what you do, when your number comes up that's it your number came up! Call me morbid, but I guess Iam like this at this point from all the death I have encountered in my own personal life. It's the cycle of life.

Sorry to go off topic from what the actual thread is and to change the subject on these girls. May they Rest In Peace and hope they are in a better place and their suffering is gone.

How could LE possibly know it was suicide unless they were seen going in the water?

Oh no Iam not saying they are right. They could totally be wrong. After all they are Himan like the rest of us.
But what Iam saying once they label it suicide and they found out who they are. We the public and the media won't really hear any more about it.
Kind of like the unidentified guy found in the Flushing waters with chains all wrapped around his legs just a couple of weeks ago. Once they identified him and said it was a suicide .. that's it you never heard anything else about the Flushing guy w chains in the water.

I am fairly certain that the report that they committed suicide is based on a series of observations of the NYPD. In my limited experience with the NYPD, they don't often state or leak things they don't have proof of. If this was, indeed, a suicide, I hope there is an investigation as to how these two young, apparently healthy women felt this was their only option. The questions I have about any cultural issue that might cause one or both to commit suicide are really only based on my limited knowledge and suppositions about them and their culture. If this was something other than suicide, say a murder/suicide or murder, I am hoping that is also being looked at with the full force of an investigation.

I am inclined in the same way that MadamX is. If this was a suicide, we won't really hear anything more about it.

Hi all! I'm joining late but have read all the posts. It's a sad story from what we know so far, suicide or not.

I'm wondering what happened with the role of duct tape? Most likely there would be some tape left over on the role, and if this was a suicide this role might have been found somewhere on the bridge or pier. If it was a homicide it's more likely the person(s) responsible would take the role with them. Maybe a role of tape was found on the bridge with prints matching only the sisters' and no other prints, and that's why LE says it was a suicide and they jumped from there?

I am fairly certain that the report that they committed suicide is based on a series of observations of the NYPD. In my limited experience with the NYPD, they don't often state or leak things they don't have proof of. If this was, indeed, a suicide, I hope there is an investigation as to how these two young, apparently healthy women felt this was their only option. The questions I have about any cultural issue that might cause one or both to commit suicide are really only based on my limited knowledge and suppositions about them and their culture. If this was something other than suicide, say a murder/suicide or murder, I am hoping that is also being looked at with the full force of an investigation.

I am inclined in the same way that MadamX is. If this was a suicide, we won't really hear anything more about it.
They definitely need to investigate. Because what if it was murder/suicide.

But I think the GW bridge has cameras by now. So hopefully the Nypd is actually sure. Before writing this off. Jmo

bbm
Agree -- if indeed it was suicide -- how to prove -- did they leave a note? Did they tell someone?
Yes, if it was suicide, it should be private and belong to the family and close friends. It's really no one else's business unless the young women resorted to it to avoid something or someone who made their lives not worth living, or something too awful to endure any longer. That possibility would surely be investigated, I hope. The women did live in a different state until a few weeks ago, so this may complicate things if it is thought an investigation would be in order.
Wait and see -- that's often what we have to do.
Two beautiful women now gone. They and the world will never know what they may have done to improve the world.

bbm
Agree -- if indeed it was suicide -- how to prove -- did they leave a note? Did they tell someone?
Yes, if it was suicide, it should be private and belong to the family and close friends. It's really no one else's business unless the young women resorted to it to avoid something or someone who made their lives not worth living, or something too awful to endure any longer. That possibility would surely be investigated, I hope. The women did live in a different state until a few weeks ago, so this may complicate things if it is thought an investigation would be in order.
Wait and see -- that's often what we have to do.
Two beautiful women now gone. They and the world will never know what they may have done to improve the world.
I really just swallowed what it means to conclude two SISTERS, both young women, reported to have committed SUICIDE. Meaning- together they both voluntarily took their lives, not a murder/suicide, which involves, well...one homicide....both decide they don’t want to live... both agreee in some major capacity to bind themselves and fall/jump.

So I’m not so concerned that this case will drop of the radar after hastily being written off as a suicide, I’m more concerned that we have two sisters, together, deciding that they were better off ending it all, and LE/DA’s office is comfortable enough with that as the end of the story. Seriously....how many sister suicide pacts are you aware of? Even if you can recall such an instance, was there not a tragic story to uncover behind their reasons? If not down right illegal or violent or extremely abusive incidents apparent. The odds of two sisters having two largely separate reasons to want to end their lives, would be close to zero, right? So what warped scenario or perfect set of circumstances would have to line up in that case? My point being, this happening is rare enough (2 suicidal sisters), but for their own very different reasons? Don’t buy it.

Something happened in these girls’ lives that was commonly shared, experienced, suffered, etc by both. That’s what needs to be investigated if it is indeeed a double voluntary suicide. Because the story doesn’t end there.

Maybe this is going on a really far tangent, but the possible timing of the sisters' disappearance and the fact these sisters are saudi nationals who were living in the US, made me have to look up something that's been in the news lately, the name Jamal Khashoggi. Apparently he was also from Jeddah, and moved to the US a year ago. He also lived in northern Virginia while working for the Washington Post.
Jamal Khashoggi obituary

There is a thread for him here: Deceased/Not Found - Turkey - Jamal Khashoggi, 59, Washington Post columnist, Istanbul, 3 Oct 2018

As there is no verifiable source for the photo that purports to be of the two sisters, discussion of it will be removed.

ETA: As posted upthread by WSer inmyhumbleopinion, it is okay to post the link to where the general comment and/or photo is (and possibly saying along the lines of "interesting picture posted by ABC at 10:08 am") but it is not okay to bring it into discussion here.

Last edited:
So I have to ask...they were bound face to face and yet it says that one was on top of the other in a cross formation. I wonder how tightly bound together they were at the waist, whether lightly or firmly, as to have no space between them...could the tide have loosened the tape from itself and their clothes that much to deposit them that way? Also, it doesn’t seem exactly comfortable to be bound that close together. If the psychology regarding undue discomfort or pain during suicide is true in this case, wouldn’t they avoid that level of discomfort during it all?

I can understand the binding (somewhat, if their arms/hands were under the tape) to make sure one or both couldn’t back out..if their hands were free they could have attempted to rip the tape off and escape. To have done it themselves their hands would have had to been left free, no? If someone else ‘helped’, maliciously or otherwise, hands would have likely been under the tape if they were standing straight with their arms at their sides unless they were hugging each other? Otherwise maybe it was a comfort thing to be so close to a person they truly loved as they breathed their last?

I don’t know why this calls Rebecca Zahau back to me...maybe the unorthodox way they did it? Does anyone know the stats on drowning suicides in females? My mind just boggles and I’ve been chewing on this post for a full day. My apologies for being so rambly.

Following this with intense interest....

Last edited:
Idk, I find it strange that the younger daughter originally left VA to go to NY without telling her parents, leading them to file a MP report. I wonder the reasoning behind her leaving originally. Did she end up registering for school in NY? If not, we’re her parents okay with their 16 year old daughter not getting an education? I guess I’m basically wondering if she ran away, and if so, why?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back